• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo's Men's Tennis and Men's Swimming will be joining the Summit League

Started by VU2014, June 12, 2017, 02:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

South Dakota State dropped men's and women's tennis last year  leaving the conference at seven members for each sport.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2018/04/24/south-dakota-state-university-jackrabbits-announces-end-men-women-tennis-programs/548700002/

Need 6 for auto bid with Fort Wayne WIU and to a lesser extent  ORU and Denver as potential flight risks. Another small round of realignment could be coming very soon.

Edit: (unrelated to Valpo sports but interesting from a realignment perspective) SDSU's decision drops the SL to 5 women's tennis teams. I have to think UMKC will end its ill-fated experiment with the WAC soon and return to the SL to restore the league's womens tennis auto-bid and save money.

oklahomamick

What makes you say ORU is a flight risk? 

Would like to add that Central Arkansas moved it's mens soccer team out of the MVC.  The MVC only has 6 men's soccer teams. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

They already left once. If they sense instability they could move again. I don't know which conference would have them unless they get better at basketball but I wouldn't put it past LeCrone to finally fulfill his dream of going west and picking off multiple Summit schools. I would hope that HL presidents would step in and tell him no for travel and competitiveness reasons unless he poaches the Dakotas but that isn't really our problem anymore.