• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

LaVall Jordan to Butler

Started by milwvu04, June 12, 2017, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milwvu04

Dave_2010

Quote from: milwvu04 on June 12, 2017, 04:10:39 PM
From Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writer, Todd Rosiak.

https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/874366057389191169

The Horizon League is healthy and on the rise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Dave_2010 on June 12, 2017, 06:33:22 PM
Quote from: milwvu04 on June 12, 2017, 04:10:39 PM
From Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writer, Todd Rosiak.

https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/874366057389191169

The Horizon League is healthy and on the rise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If LaVall Jordan leaves, my bet is Coach Lottich's buddy from UWM (Todd?) is our next assistant.

bigmosmithfan1

Two quick thoughts:

1. So it would seem a first-round conference tourney win over a Valpo team missing its two best players (and #3 withering from a stomach virus) has more currency than we originally thought. Because absent that little 3-day run to the HL title game loss, no way Jordan gets more than a courtesy interview here. I don't care how much of a "Butler guy" he is, the Bulldogs simply aren't hiring someone whose lone (and most recent) season as an HC ended with just 8 wins in the league they bailed on.

2. Either this is the brilliant move to end all brilliant moves, or this is a fog of pure hubris that is going to finally bite Butler in the backside. This is the "Butler Way" thing taken to an absurd extreme. I mean, forget the literally dozens of successful, NCAA tournament-experienced head coaches around the country that Butler could have their pick of at this point (or have they forgotten they're in the Big East?) -- there are multiple candidates out there *with similarly strong Butler connections* that have superior track records to Jordan.

I mean, time will tell, and it should be said that VU folks have raved about what a good guy Jordan is, but man, this move just reeks of an athletic dept. so enamored of itself it literally believes it is incapable of making a bad hire.

bbtds

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 12, 2017, 10:33:48 PMbut man, this move just reeks of an athletic dept. so enamored of itself it literally believes it is incapable of making a bad hire.

Bad hires are forgotten quickly when the successor does well. Remember the "Butler Way" guy and former player that the Bulldogs hired before Holtmann?

vu84v2

I look at this hire differently than a department so enamored with itself that it must hire its own. Butler is the model for a mid-major having a clear succession plan. They know that if they are successful, their coach will leave and this has happened numerous times in the last fifteen years. Instead of trying to fight it, they anticipate it and have a ready plan to implement if and when it does. My guess is that LaVall Jordan being hired is not a fluke or a knee jerk reaction...it is Butler executing a conscious plan that was put in place shortly after Holzmann was hired.

VULB#62

From an MVC perspective, it appears they must have been gazing into their crystal ball in April and "knew' that UWM was going to get destabilized once again by a coaching change. Funny how a lot of posters on MVCFANS were pushing for adding 3 and UWM was in the conversation.  Can you imagine the fallout if the Presidents went with 12 and UWM was one of the invitees?   :o

bigmosmithfan1

I don't know if a coaching change would weigh that heavily in the case of UWM -- a significant leap of faith by the MVC was required in their case no matter what, and I think their administrative issues played a much larger role. But I'm sure this would have caused a lot more angst had they been selected.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on June 13, 2017, 09:47:03 AMHolzmann was hired.

Chris Holtmann. Now head coach at Ohio State and former darling of the Buhoops board. He was a real hero at Butler because he did save them from the bad hire of Brandon Miller.

bigmosmithfan1

A cynic would note that Miller's health issues were very, very conveniently timed after Butler's first losing season in forever. Fortunately, I'm not a cynic.