• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball Field

Started by valpotx, July 02, 2017, 12:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

In case you don't get the Crusader Report from our AD, I found this of great interest:

As we begin a new era for Valpo in the Valley, we have begun the visioning and planning process for establishing ourselves as successful members across all sports.  In mid-June the head coaches and senior staff met to begin the joint conversation of where we are, where we would like to be, and what the path looks like to reach our goals.  In the coming months, I will be sharing some of our thoughts and aspirations.

While the Missouri Valley Conference may be known by most college sports fans for basketball, it is also the home of very good baseball.  This provides a stronger platform for the continued resurgence of our baseball program.  Baseball boasts more conference championships and NCAA appearances over its history than any other sport at Valpo.

Driven by the vision and leadership of Lloyd McClendon '81 and former MLB player, manager, and current member of the Detroit Tigers coaching staff, we have begun the process of planning for a renovated Emory G. Bauer Filed.  Teammate Dale Clapp '84, a member of the Athletics Advisory Council, is also partnering with us to build momentum and secure support for a project that will see field renovations, new stands and pressbox, and new parking.  The renovated facility will better position us to compete in the MVC while properly honoring the legacy of Coach Bauer. We are still in the planning stages, and are actively looking for additional support. Please contact John Kuka, Associate Director of Athletics, for more information on how you can be a part of this exciting initiative.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I find this refreshing and a bit of a different approach than in the past. In the past, an initiative like this ( and the breadth of its impact on baseball) normally would not have been announced and John would be working in the background trying to find that "lead donor."  This announce-and-solicit-participants is, IMO, the way to go from now on for all sports.

vu72

I haven't been out to the baseball field in years and will definitely try this coming homecoming.  I don't remember if there is any chairback seating or not.  If not then the plan may well be to duplicate what if already in place at the softball field which includes some chairback seating, updated press box and concession area.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/facilities/softball/#.WVj4BYgrLIU
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

MLB included "field renovations" in the article. I wonder if that might include an artifical turf infield (at a minimum) to help ensure that cancellations due to field  non-playability will be significantly reduced if not a thing of the past?

VU2624

I went out to the baseball facility during a recent visit which was during the season. Access to the field was open so I took a walk around. It has a long, long way to go to be considered of any quality. The average High School facility is nicer. A quick review of current facilities in the MVC would likely put the Bauer facility behind and perhaps well behind the other facilities in the conference. The Valpo softball facility is much more appealing.

valpotx

There is no chairback seating currently at the baseball field.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Dave_2010

As a point of reference, Kent State (what could be considered the gold standard of mid major baseball regionally) renovated its baseball stadium beginning about 15 years ago to what I assume would be our target. It was an initial $3M campaign followed by another $1M gift around 5 years later.

I'd be curious as to the seed gift and the fundraising goal. Given inflation, I'd have to think it starts at or near $4M.l, more if we plan to start broadcasting games on Watch ESPN.

http://kentstatesports.com/facilities/?id=4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk