• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 Fall Football Camp

Started by VULB#62, July 31, 2017, 08:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 21, 2017, 04:55:53 PM
Jimmy's dad died over the weekend. He is still on team

Wow is right.  Paul Seewald was only 53. Hope Jimmy and his family are doing OK. Sending condolences and sympathy.

Here is a link to Mr. Seewald's obituary for anyone who might be interested:

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Paul-Seewald&lc=6785&pid=186434562&mid=7530008

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 21, 2017, 05:03:48 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on August 21, 2017, 04:55:53 PM
Jimmy's dad died over the weekend. He is still on team

Wow is right.  Paul Seewald was only 53. Hope Jimmy and his family are doing OK. Sending condolences and sympathy.

Here is a link to Mr. Seewald's obituary for anyone who might be interested:

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Paul-Seewald&lc=6785&pid=186434562&mid=7530008

Terrible, just terrible.  Prayers for peace for the Seewald family.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUOR63

I'm sorry to hear this news.  I will keep the Seewald family in my prayers.  Hopefully the team can can be a resource for Jimmy in his grieving process.

usc4valpo

so sad! My thoughts and prayers are with the Seewald family.

VULB#62

I finally got to watch the Cecchini Fall Camp Interview.  Among many things, he does a good job in explaining how and why attrition is a factor in non-scholarship FB and how they deal with it.  He lauded JJ's recovery and preparation for his 6th year.  He also confirmed that on the QB depth chart Seewald is #1.  He also stated that Duncan is #2.... so far. Freshmen with a shot at being on the 2 deep, who he mentioned, were Jeremiah Olojo, 6-4, 280 (Chicago), on the DL and Dilan Scargle, 5-11, 190 (Florida), in the secondary. We have 9 offensive starters returning and 7 defensive returnees. In his opinion, this is the most experienced crew he has had despite only having a handful of seniors. That's due to all of the action the previous two classes have seen as Freshmen and sophomores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVFFuutZzvg

VUOR63

I watched his interview as well and I thought the way he articulated the attrition at this level to be remarkable.  His succinct way of explaining the dynamic of finding the unique kids looking to put the same time and effort into football without it being a vehicle to pay for their education indicates that he has a very good understanding of the kind of high school kids to pursue.  This will pay dividends for this program in the future.

VULB#62

I think he learned that while coaching at Lehigh when the Patriot League was totally non-scholarship. I believe he also had some time on the Harvard staff as well - Ivy, also non-schlarship. As I recall that was one of the reasons MLB put a full court press on him to come to Valpo.

usc4valpo

so why is Valpo not as successful in keeping upperclassman on the football team compared to other non-scholarship. Hoping success on the field can resolve this.

valpofb16

Well two upperclassmen were arrested, one for his third time, at valpo so can't fix that.

Also fasfa is on a year to year basis now which means your financial package can completely change from year 1 to 2

VUOR63

What size endowment would Valpo need to have in order to fund a scholarship program?  Just curious--because if I win the lottery tonight maybe I give MLB a call and hook him up.

valpofb16

Well FCS is 65 scholarships:

65x64,000(current base tuition when i attended)x4.2(adding in the .2 for natural increase of fifth years if school is paid for)

Rough Estimate: $17,472,000 per 4 year cycle to be FCS Scholarship

ml2

I wanted to take a quick stab at this question. First, I checked for similar schools to Valpo - private Universities ranked in the top 10 of US News' Regional Universities rankings (for any region). No schools in the West, Midwest, or North regions currently sponsor D1 scholarship football (either FBS or FCS). Three schools in the South region did, Elon, Samford and The Citadel. I ignored the Citadel since it is so different as a military institution. That left Elon and Samford. According to the latest EADA data, they both spend in total around 5.3 million dollars a year on football. Valpo spends 1.1 million. So that looks like an annual gap of about 4.2 million dollars. Endowments usually pay out 4% of their total each year, ideally with investment income exceeding that amount so that the endowment can fund its purpose in perpetuity. So, a 105 million dollar endowment would generate the roughly 4.2 million dollars needed per year. In addition, a one time investment of 20 to 30 million dollars in facilities would probably be needed. So let's say 130 million dollars. The cash pay out for Powerball is currently 443 million, which after taxes is maybe 221 million? So you could completely fund a move up to FCS and still have 90 million left over for yourself - if you were so inclined. Best of luck to you!

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 23, 2017, 09:41:37 AMWell two upperclassmen were arrested, one for his third time, at valpo so can't fix that. 

Unfortunately when you put information out there such as this without attaching names to who it is that you refer to, it leaves it open to speculation of whom you refer including those who may not have been arrested. So every upperclassman who's not back is now in play.

JD24

Looks like a couple of adds if anyone is keeping track. At the very least I don't recall seeing the names associated with these numbers.

83 Brent Brimmage listed as a DB but shown in the WR drills in pictures
85 TJ Weinzimmer listed as WR

btw....if anyone cares, I am the former WC2624. My account went inactive for some reason which I wasn't able to figure out.

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on August 24, 2017, 05:19:47 PM
Looks like a couple of adds if anyone is keeping track. At the very least I don't recall seeing the names associated with these numbers.

83 Brent Brimmage listed as a DB but shown in the WR drills in pictures
85 TJ Weinzimmer listed as WR

btw....if anyone cares, I am the former WC2624. My account went inactive for some reason which I wasn't able to figure out.
Brimmage has been there from the beginning. His is a number change. Wienzimmer was announced with the second wave of recruits but was not listed on the roster.

More drops this week: WR Moore DB Lane and OL Zajac. We are down to 5 returning DB's.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 24, 2017, 09:06:41 PM
Quote from: JD24 on August 24, 2017, 05:19:47 PMLooks like a couple of adds if anyone is keeping track. At the very least I don't recall seeing the names associated with these numbers. 83 Brent Brimmage listed as a DB but shown in the WR drills in pictures 85 TJ Weinzimmer listed as WR btw....if anyone cares, I am the former WC2624. My account went inactive for some reason which I wasn't able to figure out.
Brimmage has been there from the beginning. His is a number change. Wienzimmer was announced with the second wave of recruits but was not listed on the roster. More drops this week: WR Moore DB Lane and OL Zajac. We are down to 5 returning DB's.

Zajac is still listed with number 74.

Moore and Lane have some game experience as well. Doesn't help from a depth perspective at WR and the DB situation is downright scary at the moment.