• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018 Baseball

Started by VU2014, August 02, 2017, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

I don't know if this means anything but was #10 on this list of Chicago area pitching prospects.
https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/IL/Top-Prospect---Chicago-Pitching-Analysis-5207348169
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I don't remember the last Valpo alum to do it, but Drew Hasler (P) made it to AAA in the White Sox system this year, over the last 1-2 weeks.  Karch Kowalczyk has been a steady contributor at AA Tulsa all season, and may get the call-up to AAA next season.  Might we get our first MLB alum since Lloyd???

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=657651#/career/R/pitching/2017/ALL
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=665026#/career/R/pitching/2017/ALL
"Don't mess with Texas"

Brandon

Quote from: valpotx on September 10, 2017, 12:42:30 AMI don't remember the last Valpo alum to do it

Hasler is the first Crusader to play in Triple-A since Lloyd!

VU2014

Very sad news. Valpo Baseball Alum and Valpo Athletics Hall of Famer Ken Schreiber past away.

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/906649035863359488

valpotx

Fantastic schedule this year!  This is the type of schedule that could garner an at-large bid from the MVC, since it is a strong baseball conference.  This is exciting!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2017-18/17848/valpo-baseball-announces-2018-schedule/
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

No Valpo players were voted to the MVC reseason Poll and All-Conference Team.

What should we expect this season? I know the MVC has a powerhouse in MSU but how long will it take the program to fully adjust and be consistently competitive?

VU2014

vu72

I think The Valley may be in for some surprises when it comes to our baseball team.  We bring back three guys who were all conference freshman last year and have 10 seniors and 8 juniors on the team.  I suspect the last place voting is a result of a total lack of information rather than a knowledgeable evaluation of our talent.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 30, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
I think The Valley may be in for some surprises when it comes to our baseball team.  We bring back three guys who were all conference freshman last year and have 10 seniors and 8 juniors on the team.  I suspect the last place voting is a result of a total lack of information rather than a knowledgeable evaluation of our talent.

This report is very similar to the MBB report on Valpo yet is very accurate. Let's hope Valpo baseball does much better. Our baseball team was not that poor in 2017.

valpotx

We will be middle of the pack.  Dallas Baptist and Missouri State will be the class of the league
"Don't mess with Texas"

Brandon

I'm really looking forward to the start of the baseball season. Pretty cool that the series against both Missouri State and DBU are at home. It's exciting to be in a conference where baseball is a high priority. We could have two nationally-ranked teams come in for weekend series this year. We have a good group of guys who I think are truly excited about the challenge of both The Valley and the schedule as a whole. Last year, we played a three-game road series with Wichita State - got swept but all were one-run games. Beat Illinois State on the road in the only other game against a Valley team. Won one game and lost by only one run in another game at DBU two years ago. It's fair for us to enter the league as underdogs, but we're well coached and we won't get embarrassed; we'll compete.

valpotx

Tough start to the season with a 16-2 loss to Alabama.  Hopefully we do better over the next 2 games!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

valpotx

Tough loss today to Alabama 6-5, after we were leading 5-4 in the 8th.  Lost on a walk-off single.  For those that think we will struggle in the MVC, they will be surprised to see us in the top 4-5.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We lose 12-6 in the third game, and are 0-3.  Only a bad showing in the first game, so I see a lot of positives at this point
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Baseball with its first win, 11-4 over the University of Oklahoma!  OU was an NCAA tourney team last season, so this is a solid win.  How many of our programs routinely beat Power 5 teams each season?  None really, outside of Baseball :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on February 24, 2018, 06:57:20 PM
Baseball with its first win, 11-4 over the University of Oklahoma!  OU was an NCAA tourney team last season, so this is a solid win.  How many of our programs routinely beat Power 5 teams each season?  None really, outside of Baseball :)

I'm glad we pull out some nice wins, it's certainly tough beating that level of competition.  But not willing to compare, no other sport plays 53+ games a year that I'm aware of.

REALLY wish baseball would cut that down to 30'ish like basketball.

valpotx

If we played twice as many games in Men's Basketball, we still would struggle against the P5 teams, and it isn't like Baseball does it at home.  It is ALWAYS on the road.  Regardless of the amount of games, the success % against P5 is soooo much greater ;).  I would definitely not support playing the same amount of games in college, as you do in HS.  It is a gradual uptick from HS to college to Pro, which makes sense.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We down Holy Cross 20-6, to move to 2-3 overall.  We had 18 walks, which has to be a record for Valpo?? 

Holy Cross also made the NCAA tourney last season, so these were 2 good wins!

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 24, 2018, 10:53:53 PM
We down Holy Cross 20-6, to move to 2-3 overall.  We had 18 walks, which has to be a record for Valpo?? 

Holy Cross also made the NCAA tourney last season, so these were 2 good wins!

Fantastic hitting in the Crusaders/Crusaders Holy Land match. Well, at least for the Brown & Gold Crusaders! Cross that team off the list of baseball teams to beat. Unfortunately there was no band at this baseball game. With all the scoring it would have been no place for a Tally-band. Too much playing!

VUGrad1314

2-4 start doesn't tell the whole story. Not only has Valpo beaten a pair of tourney teams from last year, they also have a pair of one run losses--one each to Alabama and Oklahoma. They could easily be 4-2. I don't know. This team looks like it has a chance to be pretty good.

valpotx

We lose two 1 run games to Cal State-Northridge, and beat Grand Canyon handily twice, to arrive at 4-6
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

That is no small accomplishment in the early part of the season especilally coming out of the snowy mid-west.

vu72

I watched some of those games.  Baseball and softball have some fire power!  I expect great things from both!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015