• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo's Future in Swimming

Started by VULB#62, August 23, 2017, 10:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

It's pretty rare for both men's & women's teams to be coached by the same coaching staff, correct?

valpotx

Congratulations to her/us, as she has a great pedigree!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on November 17, 2017, 01:49:35 PM
It's pretty rare for both men's & women's teams to be coached by the same coaching staff, correct?

Might be as rare to have a men's swim team post Title 9.  Seems like field hockey, swimming, volleyball (to name a few) help universities meet their quotas.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 17, 2017, 05:49:15 PM

Might be as rare to have a men's swim team post Title 9.  Seems like field hockey, swimming, volleyball (to name a few) help universities meet their quotas.

Her predecessor also coached both swim teams. CC and T&F also share a single staff across both men and women.

FWalum

Daughter was a swimmer and it is actually pretty common for one coach to do both.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

What is tough here is that the men swim in the Summit while the women swim in the MVC.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 17, 2017, 10:40:45 PM
What is tough here is that the men swim in the Summit while the women swim in the MVC.
Very good point, I had not figured that into the equation. That certainly is not the norm.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

In the HL didn't both teams usually travel together to the same sites but then competed separately?

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 17, 2017, 08:18:14 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 17, 2017, 05:49:15 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 17, 2017, 01:49:35 PMIt's pretty rare for both men's & women's teams to be coached by the same coaching staff, correct?
Her predecessor also coached both swim teams. CC and T&F also share a single staff across both men and women.

This is not completely unusual in XC and T&F even within major programs. The major difference is that the major programs might have a HC plus an assistant who runs the XC and/or T&F programs for each gender.

VUSWIM08-12

Only a few elite Power 5 schools have separate coaches for Men's and Women's swimming. Ohio State, for example, had separate coaches until 2 years ago when they decided to recombine them. They also had different meets, but now they travel together. The issue with Valpo and the MVC/Summit league championships is that they are on the exact same weekend so the head coach will have to go with one team while the assistant goes with the other. Not a good deal all around but it was a move for basketball of course.

VULB#62- Yes they travel together, but meets are scored separately. Each event has a men's heat and a women's heat

valpotx

It was a move for all of the 'major' sports at Valpo, not just basketball.  The conference has a history of multiple bids in the main team sports. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Precisely. The move to the MVC is better for most every athlete at VU. It's a step up in basketball baseball volleyball soccer and softball. Some  sports will see more of a bump in competition than others but this was a good move for most every sport Valpo competes in.

VUSWIM08-12

The move was made because of basketball aka money, take away our recent success in bball and we never get invited to the MVC. I never said that it was a bad thing, and yes the MVC competes at a higher level  in almost every sport. The move was great for Valpo as a whole but swimming got the raw end of the deal just like it did when Valpo moved to the HL.

IndyValpo

When was the last time Valpo had a diver on either roster?

VUSWIM08-12

My freshman year, 08-09. The board had issues and I don't think they would replace it. Diving is completely different from swimming so they have to have their own coach which costs money. The previous coach didn't want to spend the little budget he had on a diving coach so he just let it go. It puts the team at a disadvantage to begin with if the other team has diving which most do.

VULB#62

I can relate to that. Whole different athletic event. The only commonality is that diving eventually ends up in the same pool as the swimming. It is a disadvantage, but the points involved are not overwhelming.
The diving coac( has a tofally different set of sk8lls to coach. It is not swimming in any way. But the diver does eventually get wet.

valpotx

Is that why we are always killed in the overall scores in S&D, because we no longer have divers?  We lose to D3 schools...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

No. It is only one, possibly two events in a meet. When I coached swimming at a high school in NY in another life, we basically forefitted diving though we had a couple of kids who competed. We just didn't have a skilled coach for that.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2017, 08:47:21 PMIs that why we are always killed in the overall scores in S&D, because we no longer have divers?  We lose to D3 schools...

Over my 4 years we(the men's team) beat one DI school(IUPUI) and a couple DIII schools at invitationals. Had we had a couple solid divers the men would have won two more dual meets  against Western and Eastern Illinois but thats only 3 wins over 4 years(I remember these because we considered them wins anyway), Valpo never beat a HL team( the women may have beat Butler once, I would have  to look over the results) and I think the men may have beat 3-4 total relays from HL schools over the years( mostly because those teams got DQ'ed). The women did very well in 2015 beating several HL schools in relays at the HL championship, but other than that we lost, a lot.

VUSWIM08-12

Swimmer Dylan Kirar sets school record in the preliminaries of the 500 free, he is the 8th spot heading into tonights final. Summit league is much better for the men however the women are struggling at the MVC Championships.

vu72

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on February 15, 2018, 12:57:19 PM
Swimmer Dylan Kirar sets school record in the preliminaries of the 500 free, he is the 8th spot heading into tonights final. Summit league is much better for the men however the women are struggling at the MVC Championships.

It must be difficult to know your team will finish last.  Obviously, it is also an individual sport but still, when a new school record finishes 8th, that isn't saying much about the record.  Still, good for Dylan!! :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2018, 01:15:39 PM
Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on February 15, 2018, 12:57:19 PM

It must be difficult to know your team will finish last.  Obviously, it is also an individual sport but still, when a new school record finishes 8th, that isn't saying much about the record.  Still, good for Dylan!! :clap:

Track and Field was no different, we just cared about PR and records.  Obviously seeing teammates succeed is awesome though.

VUSWIM08-12

Congrats to the valpo men's team taking down a school record in the 800 free relay , and freshman Dominic May taking down the 200 free individual record!!

VU2014

The coach is stepping down. Anyone have any insight? Leaving for a bigger job?

https://twitter.com/swimswamnews/status/1149436992402481152

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015