• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League has filed a lawsuit against Valpo & Missouri Valley Conference

Started by VU2014, August 24, 2017, 12:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

VUGrad1314

Wow.That's a bombshell. I wonder if this will put more pressure on the Horizon League to settle.

valpotx

Let's go Valpo!  Let's go Valpo!

A change of venue must be a good thing, as we can't win on the court, so let's win in it!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

The HL's legal strategy was about as thorough as their tournament site selection process, apparently.

vu72

This has nothing to do with the law suit but didn't know where else to post it.  Did anybody else notice that Oakland lost to Cleveland State?  Wow!  Oakland misses the dance with their loaded senior class.  I wonder if the Oakland faithful will want Kampe's head.  My guess is yes, and maybe he would agree that after 30+ years it might be time to just step back and let a younger guy take the lead.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on March 06, 2018, 08:38:25 AMThis has nothing to do with the law suit but didn't know where else to post it.  Did anybody else notice that Oakland lost to Cleveland State?  Wow!  Oakland misses the dance with their loaded senior class.  I wonder if the Oakland faithful will want Kampe's head.  My guess is yes, and maybe he would agree that after 30+ years it might be time to just step back and let a younger guy take the lead.

It is going to be rough for the HL if Cleveland State beats Wright State tonight.... Cleveland State has a 12-22 record.

oklahomamick

I was rooting for UWM last night against Wright State.  Wanted to #rpi 297 Cleveland St versus #rpi 238 Milwaukee in the HL final. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

I wonder if we'll get an update on this soon. Interestingly, Loyola's run has provided a nice buffer for VU in case things go south in this case. (I fully expect VU to prevail though).

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 01, 2018, 08:25:27 PM
I wonder if we'll get an update on this soon. Interestingly, Loyola's run has provided a nice buffer for VU in case things go south in this case. (I fully expect VU to prevail though).

The commish said in a interview during Arch Madness that it was likely the league was staying at 10 next season. We're definitely not going to expand to 11. Maybe Belmont wants to be more then a big fish a tiny pond. I doubt it, but I might just be pessimistic.

VUGrad1314

Sorry for the similar posts because I did post something like this in the expansion thread but this is about the lawsuit. I have seen the interview you referred to and am likewise not optimistic about expansion this year. I just hope we take advantage of the profile boost while we have it but that's a topic for another thread. Does anyone know anything about the HL's lawsuit?

M

I've recently heard Valpo isn't planning on having to pay the Horizon league anything.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on April 01, 2018, 09:59:54 PM
I've recently heard Valpo isn't planning on having to pay the Horizon league anything.

Think Valpo's countersuit will succeed?

VUGrad1314

Read in the local papers a few days ago that a hearing is scheduled for July 12 pursuant to a request by the HL to dismiss some of Valpo's counterclaims.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 21, 2018, 05:32:54 PM
Read in the local papers a few days ago that a hearing is scheduled for July 12 pursuant to a request by the HL to dismiss some of Valpo's counterclaims.

Yes, in front of Judge Roger Bradford, a Valpo Law grad!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Didn't Roger Bradford come over on the Mayflower or settle Rhode Island or something.   I'm a rusty on my early colonial period.   

OK,  maybe that is  off track.   :)

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 22, 2018, 06:25:04 PM
Didn't Roger Bradford come over on the Mayflower or settle Rhode Island or something.   I'm a rusty on my early colonial period.   

OK,  maybe that is  off track.   :)

I love an off track question.   :-[

William Bradford was a leader in the Mayflower colony. William's uncle was Robert Bradford who raised William and his sister in Yorkshire from an early age. On his own accord at the age of 18, William Bradford joined the separatists that fled to Amsterdam to avoid the persecution of James I, king of England, in 1608. 

Bradford was the head of the government of Plymouth, oversaw the courts, the colony's finances, corresponded with investors and neighbors, formulated policy with regards to foreigners, Indians, and law, and so had a very active role in the running of the entire Colony. With his second wife, he had three more children, all of whom survived to adulthood and married.

Beginning in 1630, he started writing a history of the Plymouth Colony, which is now published under the title Of Plymouth Plantation. He continued writing his history of Plymouth through about 1651.  Bradford's History is one of the primary sources used by historians, and is the only thorough history of Plymouth Colony that was written by a Mayflower passenger.  It is required reading in a number of collegiate American History courses, and an edition of it was edited by MayflowerHistory.com historian Caleb Johnson (see Amazon.com link to the right).  A number of his letters, poems, conferences, and other writings of William Bradford, have also survived. 

William Bradford was generally sick all through the winter of 1656-1657; on May 8, Bradford predicted to his friends and family that he would die, and he did the next day, 9 May 1657, at the age of 68.

crusadermoe

Very helpful. It looks like I was half right twice.  I can now rest easier tonight.

I had half my brain tied behind my back.

Per a search: Roger Williams -----he founded the Rhode Island colony. First, he was banished from Massachusetts, and he moved south with his wife. He met the Narangansett tribe and they helped him found his anti-Puritan colony of Rhode Island

agibson

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 21, 2018, 05:32:54 PM

Keep us posted. If this really does see court in some fashion, it may be amusing to drop in. I've actually never been to court... (knock on wood)

VUGrad1314

I'll do my best. I stumbled upon the article quite by accident. It was buried in the paper.

VUGrad1314

Looking at past and present schedules since Valpo joined the MVC I noticed the following:

Men's basketball tried (unsuccessfully) to schedule a charity exhibition with Oakland

Baseball played Milwaukee

Softball played IUPUI

Men's and women's soccer both played IUPUI Women's soccer also played Wright State and Belmont which was an affiliate member at the time

This year so far

men's soccer is playing IUPUI and Milwaukee

And women's soccer plays IUPUI Oakland Green Bay and UIC

That is a ton of cooperative interaction given the contentious nature of VU exit. Is it possible this means things will resolve themselves amicably between VU and the HL?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 27, 2018, 05:41:37 AM
Looking at past and present schedules since Valpo joined the MVC I noticed the following:

Men's basketball tried (unsuccessfully) to schedule a charity exhibition with Oakland

Baseball played Milwaukee

Softball played IUPUI

Men's and women's soccer both played IUPUI Women's soccer also played Wright State and Belmont which was an affiliate member at the time

This year so far

men's soccer is playing IUPUI and Milwaukee

And women's soccer plays IUPUI Oakland Green Bay and UIC

That is a ton of cooperative interaction given the contentious nature of VU exit. Is it possible this means things will resolve themselves amicably between VU and the HL?

I don't think many of the other Athletics Departments took it personally that we left the HL. Lecrone certainly did though. Maybe some schools admin did but I don't know.

I could imagine other HL men's basketball programs wanting to schedule Home-&-Homes with us but do we want to schedule them? Probably not... I wouldn't mind a H-&-H series with Oakland (because they were somewhat a rival) and maybe Milwaukee to get the Milwaukee alumni base involved, but other than that I'd groan at the thought of a H-&-H with any of the others. We need a break from most HL teams. Not to mention that most the HL teams now are garbage and we don't need that on our schedule.

bigmosmithfan1

Probably not. First of all, throw out IUPUI -- those games were likely contracted before we left the HL and they joined it. As for the others, non-revenue sports usually don't come into play in disputes like this. They need regional opponents to keep their budgets under control, full stop. Neither side has the luxury of getting too choosy there.

We play Butler in football and baseball every year. It has no impact on the bad blood between the two basketball programs nor are we any closer to a series there, and neither school is suing the other.

VUGrad1314

Does anyone have an update on this? I assume no news is good news?

VUGrad1314

I'm surprised this is still pending. You'd think there would have been a resolution to it by now.