• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #1 - @ Montana

Started by VULB#62, August 24, 2017, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Sagarin: 47 pt favorite, 97% chance of win

The spread and %age came from the eGriz site. I visted the Griz fan board and lurked a bit. 37 posts. Understandably no respect voiced there and a poster had pictures of Brown Field from our facilities section of the web site just to put the two programs in contrast. One guy wished they could play us in basketball and my first thought was " No, you really don't."  Only "up" mentioned was our special teams.

MissoulaGrizFan

Regarding how loud Griz stadium is, see below. Couldn't post the link. Lots of other quotes in the article too. Google "Montana football stadium noise".

"In an interview Tony Romo, according to FCS Football Fans Facebook, said After a victory over the Seahawks in Seattle when he was asked if he had ever experienced more noise in a stadium. His response was "Missoula Montana is way louder".  "Todd Harris & Charles Arbuckle, ESPN announcers said it's the loudest too."

MissoulaGrizFan

Some info.

Fires are burning, but smoke subsided about 4 days ago. Keeping fingers crossed. The closest fire is Lolo Peak fire. Google it.

Weather should be nice and warm, 80's or higher.

Press Box bar/restaurant is the closest hot spot, just north of stadium over the river. Big gathering spot before and after game. Food.

Other bars. Mo Club (great burgers, including on game morning), Stocks (Stockmans), and Red's. All downtown. Most people will be very friendly in the bars.

Very good breakfast places downtown, especially if you're traveling with women, are Catalyst and the Shack. Speaking of women, there is a great farmer's market downtown on Sat. morning, just north of the river under Higgins avenue/bridge.

Missoula has a lot of good restaurants.

If you have your Valpo gear on, every Griz tailgate will welcome you, be friendly and give you drink (and food if they have it). Just walk up and say hi. The tailgating is very good for a school/program of this size.

The stadium gets fairly empty at halftime, when people go back out to the tailgates. Some don't return until well into the third quarter.

You will love the stadium atmosphere. The seating starts about 8 yards from the sideline, and first row is high enough to look over heads of players. You will enjoy Missoula. Griz fans and townspeople go out of their way to make visitors feel very welcome.

UM fans will be excited to see the Griz play. UM collapsed at the end of last season, going 1-4 and losing 2 games to not so great teams--after starting season 5-1 with a great win at Northern Iowa. New qb. Transfer from Kentucky who grew up in Chattanooga. Lots of younger talent and fairly good athleticism and size.

Good luck to your team. They will never forget the experience. Your guys may draw a few boos coming onto the field (may also get some cheers), but if your guys avoid taunting the crowd, the crowd will generally respect your team, and some will likely give them a few cheers as they exit after the game.

PolsonGriz

Quote from: vu72 on August 25, 2017, 03:39:00 PMSo I'm wondering about how big this "pay" game will be?  Is it a flat fee or based on attendance?  Last year's pay game was against Illinois State and the attendance was just over 10,000.  Our Montana friends are saying a sellout at just over 26,000.  Just wondering... ???
Being this is the first game of the year and no smack but I highly doubt that this game will attract much more than 15, 000 fans. As for noise, that will be interesting since it is the first game and I don't think too many fans will be worried about the outcome, again no smack.
For those of you that are coming to the game I hope you have a great time and are able to visit Glacier or at least Flathead Lake which is only an hours drive North. 

PolsonGriz

Quote from: MissoulaGrizFan on August 27, 2017, 08:04:42 PMSome info. Fires are burning, but smoke subsided about 4 days ago. Keeping fingers crossed. The closest fire is Lolo Peak fire. Google it. Weather should be nice and warm, 80's or higher. Press Box bar/restaurant is the closest hot spot, just north of stadium over the river. Big gathering spot before and after game. Food. Other bars. Mo Club (great burgers, including on game morning), Stocks (Stockmans), and Red's. All downtown. Most people will be very friendly in the bars. Very good breakfast places downtown, especially if you're traveling with women, are Catalyst and the Shack. Speaking of women, there is a great farmer's market downtown on Sat. morning, just north of the river under Higgins avenue/bridge. Missoula has a lot of good restaurants. If you have your Valpo gear on, every Griz tailgate will welcome you, be friendly and give you drink (and food if they have it). Just walk up and say hi. The tailgating is very good for a school/program of this size. The stadium gets fairly empty at halftime, when people go back out to the tailgates. Some don't return until well into the third quarter. You will love the stadium atmosphere. The seating starts about 8 yards from the sideline, and first row is high enough to look over heads of players. You will enjoy Missoula. Griz fans and townspeople go out of their way to make visitors feel very welcome. UM fans will be excited to see the Griz play. UM collapsed at the end of last season, going 1-4 and losing 2 games to not so great teams--after starting season 5-1 with a great win at Northern Iowa. New qb. Transfer from Kentucky who grew up in Chattanooga. Lots of younger talent and fairly good athleticism and size. Good luck to your team. They will never forget the experience. Your guys may draw a few boos coming onto the field (may also get some cheers), but if your guys avoid taunting the crowd, the crowd will generally respect your team, and some will likely give them a few cheers as they exit after the game.
I would add the Rhino and Dram Shop for beers. Both have somewhere around fifty or so taps of really great beer. As for the Mo Club the burgers are great but that is all they serve, no fries. I would hit up the Ox dive bar, open 24/7, for a 1/2 lb burger, price $4.50. Also a great place for breakfast after drinking all night. If you are looking for something a little nicer then go the Iron Horse downtown.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 25, 2017, 09:03:36 PM
Ok, it's my time to weigh in a full week prior to the game. I reserve the right to amend in the coming week.  ;)

Valpo hangs tough for one quarter, scores a TD off an UMT  turnover but then gives up a couple of quick Q2 TDs. We go into the half down 24-7.  In Q3 MTU continues to exert their superior strength, skills, and depth to increase their lead into Q4, but Valpo finds a way to get a FG in the final quarter.

Final score:  Montana 45  -   Valpo 10.

Based on much reflection over many martinis and incorporating all of the great input from Valpo and Griz posters, I have to refine my prediction of Saturday's final score.  I still think we will beat the early Sagarin spread, but in doing so I have to give the UMT an additional TD.  Final: Griz 52 - Crusaders 10.

VULB#62

Quote from: PolsonGriz on August 27, 2017, 10:44:26 PM
Quote from: vu72 on August 25, 2017, 03:39:00 PMSo I'm wondering about how big this "pay" game will be?  Is it a flat fee or based on attendance?  Last year's pay game was against Illinois State and the attendance was just over 10,000.  Our Montana friends are saying a sellout at just over 26,000.  Just wondering... ???
Being this is the first game of the year and no smack but I highly doubt that this game will attract much more than 15, 000 fans. As for noise, that will be interesting since it is the first game and I don't think too many fans will be worried about the outcome, again no smack.
For those of you that are coming to the game I hope you have a great time and are able to visit Glacier or at least Flathead Lake which is only an hours drive North.

Hey Poison -- Just wondering....... Last year's season opener (won by UMT 41-31) against St. Francis (PA) of the NEC  drew 26,002 fans according to the box score.    Are you suggesting that a lot of season ticket holders skip the opener and that there really wasn't 26K at that game and more like 15-18K?  Or is your reference to just the Valpo game?

MissoulaGrizFan

Polson is not correct. UM always draws well for the first home game, which is usually the first game of the season, no matter who the opponent is. Don't recall any regular season attendance even close to 15,000 since the stadium was expanded in 2003. Playoff games over Thanksgiving weekend, when students are gone, are sometimes below 20,000 by a few thousand.

This game will draw very well. Griz fans are excited for this season and this team. Weather will be good. Smoke is okay now, so fingers crossed.

Here are the opening home game stats from 2015 going back to the stadium expansion in 2003. Note there was a later stadium expansion too. Opening game is almost always a sell out. So are the other games. Think official capacity is only about 25,500, but it can get to about 26,500, depending on extra seating and extra tickets being sold in the boxes.

North Dakota St -Date: Aug 29, 2015 • Site: Missoula, Mont.  •  Attendance: 26472

Central Washington - Date: Sep 06, 2014 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 24697

Appalachian St - Date: Aug 31, 2013 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 26293

South Dakota - Date: Sep 01, 2012 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 25126

Cal - Poly - Date: Sep 10, 2011 (2d weekend) • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 25855

Western State - Date: Sep 04, 2010 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 25663 

Western State - Date: Sep 05, 2009 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 25698 

Southern Utah - Date: Sep 13, 2008 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 25056 

2008 - Stadium size expanded

Southern Utah - Date: Sep 01, 2007 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 23599 

South Dakota St -Date: Sep 09, 2006 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 23438

Fort Lewis - Date: Sep 03, 2005 • Site: Missoula, MT  •  Attendance: 23432 

Maine (0-1) - Date: Sep 04, 2004 • Site: Missoula, MT  • Attendance: 23228

North Dakota State - Date: Sept. 6 2003 (2d weekend) • Site: Missoula MT  •   Attendance: 23102 

2003 - Stadium size expanded

VULB#62

Thanks for the update.  Nice to know that there will be a few people there  ::)

mtgrizfankb

There will probably be 25K there for the game. it will not sell out I imagine but it is an FCS game and week 1 with an away game next week. I assume the stadium will be pretty packed everywhere other than the south endzone which will be more spaced out. So if thats where your seats are as Valpo fans or would like better seats than the visiting section. Also the south endzone might get some shade during the game so that might be nice too.

PS. if you would like to look at the ticket sales at this moment griztix.com lets you see all the seats available still. There is about 500 tickets give or take still for sale. I imagine that will probably be 200ish by gameday. so 25.5k or 25.3k could be pretty accurate

VUOR63

Is there anywhere good to smoke a pre-game cigar?

ClarkWGrizwald

Hello Crusaders! 

Happy to see an active board.   Some of our Big Sky brethren...well, let's just say that there is a little left to be desired from some of those fan bases.

I'll be honest, I wish I was half as confident in the Griz as you all seem to be.   I just honestly don't know what to think about this year's team.  It's definitely not the Montana teams from 6 or 7 years ago when trips to the national championship were virtually a birthright, but I also think we have to be better than last year.  Or maybe that's just blind hope. 

In either event, I'm also happy to see many on here making the trip.  You won't regret it.  I live in Seattle now but still have season tickets, and love every weekend trip back to Missoula.  It is truly an awesome town.  And while in town, please fly your colors.  If you're downtown (and avoid the student hangouts where you might hear it from some drunk A$$), you'll be treated like kings.  Same thing at the tailgates near the stadium.  Just go introduce yourselves, talk some football and you'll be eagerly welcomed. 

Missoula -- and Montana in general -- has some GREAT breweries.  Be sure to check them out while there.  Also, I echo the comments about restaurants.  Missoula is filled with them.     So, I guess that's a very long way of saying:  "Have a great time!".

Now, let's talk some X's and O's.  Who should Griz fans look for on your team as standouts?  Certainly we all know about Morgan, and have a ton of respect for him.  Seewald is a huge drink of water, and the Griz sometimes struggle against big, tall QBs.  Getting Nunez back may be huge in this game.  Who else should we focus on?

And finally, yes, we actually DO wish we could play you in basketball, especially in a home-and-home.  We have nothing but the absolute utmost respect for your BB program.  But Montana's isn't exactly 3rd rate, either.  But most importantly, this is just the type of home-and-home the better mid-majors should be scheduling. 

Good luck Saturday.  It's great to have college football back!

VULB#62

Thanks for joining and welcome. Good to see your interest.

Here's some additional info on some of our veteran players.  On offense, Frank Catrine (#30, 6-1, 210 Sr.) and Griffin Norberg (#2, 6-3, 225 Jr.) and Jean Rene (#1, 5-10, 180, Jr) are the three receiving leaders.  Catrine has been a starter since his sophomore year and Norberg started out as an H back/TE but has slimmed down a bit and is now out wide. At 6-3 he poses a problem for shorter DBs and at 225 he is hard to knock off the ball.  Rene operated out of the slot mostly.  We don't run too much but Cartales is a load (at least at the PFL level) at RB.

Defense is a big ?.  We will really miss our free safety Kellan Hughes who went down in spring ball with a neck injury and is no longer on the roster. He was 6-2, 205 and a play maker.  We have a pair of experienced LBs in the middle in Drew Snouffer (#24, 6-0, 230, Jr.) and Mike Wheeler (#18, 6-3, 220, Jr).  And Joey Dias-Marinez always seems to be around the ball in the secondary. 

Hopefully, these guys will have enough maturity to not succumb to the jitters in front of a big, boisterous crowd and provide the leadership we need to try to stay with your guys for 60 minutes.

ClarkWGrizwald

Thanks for the insight, 62.  I noticed that you guys have a pretty seasoned crew, and that certainly worries me as the Griz are young and untested at many positions. 

Regarding the crowd, the key is to weather the storm.  As much as teams attempt to prepare for the noise and the atmosphere, it's cannot be done, and even the NDSUs and App States of the world struggled to deal with it.  But if you can get through the first 8 or 10 minutes, everything will slow down a bit.  What the Crusaders need to avoid is getting backed up against the north end zone in WA-Griz, especially early in the game.  Those are the "North End Zone Crazies", and on that end of the field, communication is impossible. 

JD24

Just a couple of further notes on Valpo's offense. Last year Valpo ran the ball as often (actually slightly more) than they passed it but passed it better than they ran it. Jarrett Morgan was the leading rusher by about a 3 to 1 margin over the next guy. He's back (all of the backs are returners...no backs were lost) and should be the main ball carrier throughout the season although they will spread it around.

vu72

For our Grizz friends, I think it appropriate to give some background to the Valpo football program lest you think less of our players.  First, understand that Valpo plays non-scholarship football. As a result, Valpo players love the game but are at Valpo for academic reasons first.  Understand that we haven't had a winning record or won a conference title since 2003.

I have no idea where Montana gets their players but Valpo has players from 15 states including 16 from Florida and 5 from California.  Trust me, they aren't at Valpo for the balmy Midwestern winters!  They are there for the engineering, business and even nursing schools (Tristan DeLaRosa Sr. Starting DL at 6'1" 305#)

Having said this, I expect a hard fought effort by our guys, just not quite able to keep up with Montana's bigger, more talented players.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Well said 72. And our kids practice and will play at the same intensity level of any college FB team. It will just come down to size, speed and talent differentials.          And a few breaks.

valpofb16

After Season Preview here is where we stand
   Offense            
QB   1. #9 Jimmy Seewald SO. 6-5 220            
   2. #14 Chris Duncan RSFR. 6-4 190            
   3. #4 Joe Mullen RSSO. 6-4 215   or   #11 Trey Bilinski FR. 6-2 215   or   #13 Ryan Markoff FR. 6-2 190
RB   1. #10 Jarrett Morgan SR. 5-11 195      
   2. #44 Kyle Cartales SO. 6-2 220      
   3. #32 Cody Boxrucker SO. 6-0 200   or   #21 Elias Earley RSSO. 5-6 175
   4. #15 Doug Haugh FR. 6-1 205      
FB   1. #40 Brannen Martin RSFR. 6-1 230
TE   1. #84 Mason Sutter JR. 6-5 240      
   2. #16 Ryan Clarke SR. 6-5 245      
   3. #87 Martin Petruf 6-5 220      
   4. #31 Alex Kluck FR. 6-5 220   or   #80 Brett Bittner 6-5 205
WR   1. #30 Frank Catrine SR. 6-0 210      
   2 #82 Deuce Larose FR. 6-0 205   or   #3 Parker Fox RSSO. 5-11 175
WR   1. #2 Griffin Norberg JR. 6-3 225      
   2. #12 JD Koehler RSSO. 6-0 210      
WR   #1 Jean Rene JR. 5-10 180 (INJ)      
   2. #23 Bailey Gessinger SO. 5-10 165   or    #26 Donny Navarro FR. 5-9 180
Recievers Not Mentioned   #19 Trey Stablein FR. 5-11 160      #85 TJ Weinzimmer FR. 6-2 170
   #33 Connor Beer FR. 5-9 155      #86 Kevin Wright FR. 5-11 170
   #83 Brent Brimmage FR 5-11 180      
Offensive Tackle   1. #75 Shannon Taliaferro JR. 6-1 295   or   #76 Alex Cotton RSSO. 6-4 280
Guard   1. #73 Tom Schofield JR. 6-3 285      
           2. #72 Solomon Kamara RSFR. 6-2 295      
Center   1. #65 Jack Jarnigan RSSO. 6-2 285      
           2. #66 Sam Vas FR. 6-0 305      
Guard    1. #67 Eric Rentschler JR. 6-2 285      
           2. #70 Brady Sullivan RSSO. 6-4 280      
Offensive Tackle   1. #60 Andrew Lundber 6-5 275      
                    2. #77 Terrance Roberts RSSO. 6-5 335      
O-Line Not Mentioned   #50 John Horan RSSO. 6-2 315      #51 Nick Antonacci FR. 5-11 255
                            #61 Sean Pierce SO. 6-4 310      #64 Sean Stephens RSFR. 6-2 305
                            #69 Alex Helander RSSO. 6-1 270      #71 Bryce Biggs RSFR. 6-4 240
                            #74 James Zajac RSFR. 6-6 270      #78 Ronald Williams RSFR. 6-1 365
                             #79 Thomas Walsh FR. 6-3 315      

valpofb16

Defensive End   1. #34 Jay Slone RSSR. 6-3 215            
   2. #54 Jesse Studyvin JR. 6-4 270            
Defensive Tackle   1. #99 Jakob Trumpower RSSO. 6-4 260            
   2.#91 Jordan Goebel RSFR. 6-3 265            
Nose Tackle   1. #56 Tristan De LaRosa SR. 6-1 305 (INJ)            
   2. #93 James Reed SO. 6-1 300            
   3. #97 Jeremiah Olojo FR. 6-4 280   or   #62 Nathan Orlandini FR. 6-0 255      
D-Line Not Mentioned   #42 Jake Iery JR. 6-2 250      #44 Connor Sperling RSFR. 6-2 245      
   #58 David Mason III FR. 5-7 270      #92 Drew Gerdys FR. 6-3 260      
   #95 Murphy Osmond SO. 6-5 230      #96 Cameron Germain 6-245 FR.      
OLB   1. #18 Mike Wheeler JR. 6-3 220            
   2. #46 Josh Baker FR. 6-1 225            
   3. #33 Gowan Baldwin JR. 6-3 240            
ILB   1.#24 Drew Snouffer JR. 6-0 230            
   2. #43 John Regan SR. 6-0 215   or   #37 Laddie Skarecky FR. 6-0 210      
ILB   1. #49 Nick Turner JR. 6-1 225            
   2. #47 Matthew Messler RSSO. 6-0 230   or   #9 Tyler Newkirk SO. 6-1 200   or   #6 Logan Pfizenmayer FR. 6-2 210
OLB   1. #36 Austin Petrie SO. 5-10 220            
   2. #35 Gavin Twigg FR. 6-1 215   or   #38 Joey Poloskey FR. 6-2 180      
Linebackers Not Mentioned   #39 Jack Buckey SO. 6-1 210 (INJ)      #89 Cade Bishop FR. 6-1 225      
Cornerback   1. #5 Jalin Leandre JR. 6-0 190            
   2. #25 Dilan Scargle FR. 5-11 190            
Safety   1. #4 JJ Nunes RSSR. 5-10 195            
   2. #20 Jamari Booker SO. 6-0 185            
Safety    1. #28 Josmar Diaz-Martinez JR. 5-11 180            
   2. #15 Isaac Lane RSSO. 5-10 195 (INJ)(OFY)            
   3. #22 Tramone Duncan FR. 5-11 200   or   #29 Julian Benavides FR. 6-0 185      
Cornerback   1. #17 Brandon Riley SR. 5-10 150            
   2. #14 Cam Kelly FR. 5-11 175            
DBs not Mentioned   #19 Bryce Leach FR. 6-2 180      #41 Henry Hebda FR. 6-0 160      
   #45 David Hebda FR. 6-0 160            

JD24

The two starters listed as injured...are they not expected to play at Montana?

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on August 28, 2017, 09:34:43 PM
The two starters listed as injured...are they not expected to play at Montana?

Rene and De LaRossa. Both are essential. BUT.... if it comes to a game time decision....... sit them for more competitive games in the next weeks.

PolsonGriz

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2017, 07:24:33 AM
Quote from: PolsonGriz on August 27, 2017, 10:44:26 PM
Being this is the first game of the year and no smack but I highly doubt that this game will attract much more than 15, 000 fans. As for noise, that will be interesting since it is the first game and I don't think too many fans will be worried about the outcome, again no smack. For those of you that are coming to the game I hope you have a great time and are able to visit Glacier or at least Flathead Lake which is only an hours drive North.
Hey Poison -- Just wondering....... Last year's season opener (won by UMT 41-31) against St. Francis (PA) of the NEC  drew 26,002 fans according to the box score.    Are you suggesting that a lot of season ticket holders skip the opener and that there really wasn't 26K at that game and more like 15-18K?  Or is your reference to just the Valpo game?
A fair amount of Season ticket holders will skip this game.

PolsonGriz

The school for years have reported the attendance on tickets sold not used. Every yer when they annouced the number for said games everyone around me just laughed while looking at all the empty seats, and no not at the end of the game. Now maybe in the last couple of years that will change with the scanning of said tickets. That being said I guarantee there will be numerous tickets being sold for way under face value and just as many being given away. BTW, I haven't missed a home game since I moved back home in "94" after being in the Marines. I have seen more than a few first games. Either way have fun. I shall be over at your teams hotel trying to buy your QB as many drinks as he would like as Chris and I did for another visiting team... :thumbsup:

PolsonGriz

Quote from: VUOR63 on August 28, 2017, 01:12:45 PMIs there anywhere good to smoke a pre-game cigar?
As far as a smoke shop there are a couple right down town but you cannot smoke indoors in Mt or anywhere on campus. I hear these two places are decent. Bell Pipe & Tobacco and Piece of Mind.

VULB#62

Here's the game preview article and PDF with the 2-Deep.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2017-18/17522/valpo-heads-to-montana-for-season-opener/#.WaWU1K2ZMo9

Curious thing on the 2-Deep:  Catrine is listed as WR#1 and Norberg is UNDER him at #2.   ???   Other #1 WRs are Jean Rene and Parker Fox.  TEs are Sutter and Petruf (Clarke is only listed as the long snapper).  On D, Tristan is not listed.  :(

Waiting for the interview with Todd.

Oh, one other thing -- on the Defense  2-deep there are 7 (SEVEN!) true freshmen listed as backups.