• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #1 - @ Montana

Started by VULB#62, August 24, 2017, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

A couple thoughts

1) the Valpo 2-deep has never been accurate in the 7 years i've been around the program
2) Smart sitting De La Rosa a 300lb person with a lower body injury is always frightening, he will be more useful in conference play
3) The 7 true freshman are not entirely shocking we lost a Starting DT, LB, both CBs, a starting S,a backup LB. and a backup S is out for the season with injury, that is 7 slots that needed filled. I am surprised how many upper classmen got beat out even with Coach Ceccs initial camp report.
4) This will be a very very lopsided game. Montana is an outstanding program. Don't be surprised if Rene and Seewald are pulled from the game very early with their camp injuries.
5) I am stoked for football to start again, My initial prediction was 6-5 but with schedule, attrition, and injuries its looking like a 5 win season would be acceptable

MissoulaGrizFan

From Egriz.com:

Smoke is bad in Missoula today and getting worse. The count was 165 at noon, and has been trending up since 9am (and before). At 150, high school games are cancelled or relocated, according to the school website. The university doesn't adhere to those rules.

The peak has been around 2/3 the past 3 days.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 29, 2017, 11:27:59 AMHere's the game preview article and PDF with the 2-Deep. http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2017-18/17522/valpo-heads-to-montana-for-season-opener/#.WaWU1K2ZMo9 Curious thing on the 2-Deep:  Catrine is listed as WR#1 and Norberg is UNDER him at #2.   ???   Other #1 WRs are Jean Rene and Parker Fox.  TEs are Sutter and Petruf (Clarke is only listed as the long snapper).  On D, Tristan is not listed.  :( Waiting for the interview with Todd. Oh, one other thing -- on the Defense  2-deep there are 7 (SEVEN!) true freshmen listed as backups.

WR's are listed down in order of depth chart for some odd reason. Catrine and Norberg are the x and z receivers (starters). Rene and Gessinger are the slot guys for 3 and 4 WR sets. Fox and Koehler are the x and z backups. Even allowing for 3 WRs they still don't get it right. It was wrong all last year as well based on who actually started, played and when.

The TE depth chart may very well be correct with Sutter and Petruf being the main guys.

Last year's offense played with a FB/HB a fair amount of time. I can't imagine that they'd abandon that much of the offense and thus we may see Brannen Martin, who's not even mentioned in the game day depth chart at all, on the field nearly as much as Rene or one of the TEs.

The number of freshman providing what would be significant depth on defense may be a problem. Unfortunately injuries in sport seem to have a way of occurring at just the position(s) you can least afford them and it is unrealistic to think the squad will go through the season without a bump or two.

Tristan is hopefully only out short term if he is out.

PolsonGriz

Quote from: MissoulaGrizFan on August 29, 2017, 01:45:33 PMFrom Egriz.com: Smoke is bad in Missoula today and getting worse. The count was 165 at noon, and has been trending up since 9am (and before). At 150, high school games are cancelled or relocated, according to the school website. The university doesn't adhere to those rules. The peak has been around 2/3 the past 3 days.
Smoke is down right miserable. I live between two mountain ranges West of town and neither side is all that visible. On the way into town the mountains that are NE, E and SW are visible at all.

a3uge

I'll never forgive Montana for getting a 13 seed in the 2013 tournament. Still hard to get over that.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUOR63

What are the odds the smoke/fires affect the playability of the game?  If I remember correctly, there was an NDSU-Montana game that aired on ESPN a couple years ago (Brent Musberger called the game) and there was a significant smoky haze.  Is the current condition similar to or worse than that?

MissoulaGrizFan

The smoke has been bad in Missoula for the past 5 or so days, after a brief reprieve. The smoke conditions were worse at the time of the NDSU game. The chances of the game getting impacted are almost zero. I suppose individual players or coaches with respiratory issues may have to be careful. The smoke is unpleasant, and the views of the beautiful surrounding area are impacted. The beer remains cold. All will be fine, or even good.

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: a3uge on August 29, 2017, 10:13:02 PMI'll never forgive Montana for getting a 13 seed in the 2013 tournament. Still hard to get over that.

I'm curious why?  I think you could have thrown SDSU, Montana, New Mexico State, Valpo, NWSU, and Harvard into a bucket and pulled them out at random and the seeding would have been just fine.  And besides, it's not as if Montana chose their seed.  Besides, the committee certainy didn't do the Griz any favors pitting them against the 'Cuse in the first round.

valpotx

Quote from: PolsonGriz on August 29, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: MissoulaGrizFan on August 29, 2017, 01:45:33 PMFrom Egriz.com: Smoke is bad in Missoula today and getting worse. The count was 165 at noon, and has been trending up since 9am (and before). At 150, high school games are cancelled or relocated, according to the school website. The university doesn't adhere to those rules. The peak has been around 2/3 the past 3 days.
Smoke is down right miserable. I live between two mountain ranges West of town and neither side is all that visible. On the way into town the mountains that are NE, E and SW are visible at all.

Where are you in Polson?  My family has owned property in Polson since the late 1940's, when my great-grandfather used $5 from the GI bill, to get several acres of land on Finley Point.  I have visited just about every summer since my birth in 1981 :).  My grandfather owned what was known as the First Resort clothing store until around 1990, but is now called Two Nineteen Main.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

bbtds

Let's hope we upset the Griz and Trump turns his back on us while congratulating us on a "Great win in Montana."

vu72

I enjoyed the pregame interview with Todd.  Clearly Coach C is taking responsibility for success or the lack thereof.  Both he and Todd acknowledge that this is year 4 and that all the players were brought in by this staff.  They also acknowledge the experience level which has been lacking in previous years.  Time to succeed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

I do not believe we will get a good assessment of this Valpo team after facing a Div. I-AA team. This game will not be competitive, nor should one expect it to be. Results in garbage time will also not be a good indicator.

Again, I expect 5-6.

valpofb16

#42 Jake Iery out for season with undisclosed injury

vu72

Just looked at the Montana team photo.  They have 14 coaches.  We have 9.  Interestingly though, they have 20 players 270# or more, we also have 20!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

MTGriz

PolsonGriz

Quote from: valpotx on August 31, 2017, 01:47:53 AM
Where are you in Polson?  My family has owned property in Polson since the late 1940's, when my great-grandfather used $5 from the GI bill, to get several acres of land on Finley Point.  I have visited just about every summer since my birth in 1981 :).  My grandfather owned what was known as the First Resort clothing store until around 1990, but is now called Two Nineteen Main.
The above is related to the place we have in Frenchtown. I moved to Polson in "93." I know the place well and I have met whom I assume is grandfather or great grandfather and i think a lady called Tawney or something?

MissoulaGrizFan

Regarding Polson area, my aunt and uncle founded the Ranch supper/night club on the river in Polson in 1948 and owned/ran it for decades. I am on my deck at Finley Pt right now. My uncle was just back and recuperating from the war then.

MissoulaGrizFan

Smoke is better in Missoula today. AQI is 87, Moderate. Let's hope it continues at that relatively low rate.

MissoulaGrizFan

I can't imagine the Valpo o-line will be able to handle UM's front 4 and front 7, but who knows. Looks like Valpo has some skill players, on both sides of the ball. Griz have starting safety and linebacker out. Otherwise, seem to be fairly healthy. It should be a nice hard fought game. Good luck to Valpo. Hope their team and fans enjoy the experience. I bet they do.

mtgrizfankb

why? their OL is around 300 pound average. (don't have the exact number just looking at the roster) I think all of griz nation is taking this team for granted.They still play football the same way...just like us. They have all the ability in the world to come shock us. If the team is taking this game like our fans...we could see a close game. That being said, I know first hand that they are not and that the players are itching to erase that last game form their mind. Its almost gameday! Hope everyone made the trip safe and hope to see a bunch of you valpo fans in the tailgates!

MissoulaGrizFan

It's the quality and ability of the 2 lines, not the weight. I think the Griz d-line is very talented, and very deep at tackle in particular.

JD24

Weight is not the only determinant of lineplay. Athletic ability plays at least as much of a factor. Typically scholarship programs will have far better interior lines than the PFL teams would have and Valpo's interior lines have struggled vs. PFL teams.

Last night a mid conference Mercer team shut down a PFL Jacksonville team which is probably mid to maybe top 3rd conference PFL and it was the interior lines which were the difference. Night and day.

valpotx

Quote from: PolsonGriz on August 31, 2017, 10:53:58 PM
Quote from: valpotx on August 31, 2017, 01:47:53 AM
The above is related to the place we have in Frenchtown. I moved to Polson in "93." I know the place well and I have met whom I assume is grandfather or great grandfather and i think a lady called Tawney or something?

Very cool.  The current owners were partners with my grandparents, who sold their half to them around 1990, when my grandparents retired.  I believe that the older guy that was a partner is named Jim, and that is his daughter that now runs the store.  If you know of the Port Polson Princess ship that goes around Flathead Lake, my grandparents also owned that boat, before I believe they sold it to the city or some tour company.  It used to be the only tour boat on the lake for a few decades.  They were heavily involved in working with tribal leaders, in order to get the KwaTaqNuk Resort built in Polson, as well. 

I very much love Montana, and look forward to my trip each year.  My father's cousins also have a few properties on Finley Point, so we have several relatives in that area now.  I wouldn't be surprised if you have run into a Wollin, Wickersham, or Christopherson :).

Sorry to ramble about my Montana connection.  We are going to get killed tomorrow, but I look forward to it!  I predict 56-10, in favor of the Grizz.

"Don't mess with Texas"