• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - Duquesne

Started by VULB#62, September 02, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Duquesne got crushed 51-13 by #4/#6 SDSU while we were playing in Missoula, probably, our finest game ever against a full scholarship FCS team and losing 45-23. 

What can a few comparable statistics help us understand about the coming match-up twixt Valpo and the Dukes?

> The leading rusher of the entire game was the SDSU QB with 96 yards on 3 carries.  He also threw for 254 yards and FIVE (5) TDs. 
> There were 2 long SDSU receptions for 57 and  37 yards. 
> SDSU WR, Jake Weineke caught 4 TDs on 6 catches for 75 yards. 
> SDSU had a 34-0 lead with 4:05 left in the first half before Duquesne scored with 1:43 left in the half. 
> They upped the lead to 48-13 with 7:26 to go in the 3rd before Duquesne scored again but the PAT was blocked. 
> SDSU added a FG in what was essentially a scoreless 4th quarter.

First Downs:   DUQ 12 – SDSU 26
Tot. Off:   DUQ 259 – SDSU 609
Rush Yds:   DUQ 72 – SDSU 301
Pass Yds:   DUQ 187 – SDSU 308

Now for Valpo:
> Valpo Total Offense against Montana was 420 yards.
> Valpo rushing leader – QB Chris Duncan with 50 yards on 13 carries (Seewald added 1 rush for 12 yards)
> Valpo connected on 3 long passes of 66, 61 and 50 yards
> Valpo's 20 receptions average 16.4 yards per reception
> Valpo's Defense did not give up a run over 13 yards; Duquesne gave up 301 rushing yards.

CONCLUSION: Seems like a mobile QB with the ability to find receivers on the run will be a challenge for the Dukes secondary.  And Valpo seems to have that capability.

JD24

Trying to parlay one set of stats into another somewhat similar but far from equal situation is fruitless. First of all, SDS is an absolute powerhouse at the moment and might do the same to any NEC team which would likely pound most PFL teams. Last year, Stetson had Sacred Heart on the ropes and required a fourth quarter comback by SH to beat Stetson the week before Valpo was beaten soundly by the same SH team. Valpo then beat Stetson. So following the bouncing ball is difficult and often follows no logic. 

Valpo playing as well as the team did vs. Montana is a good thing but we don't know anything about these teams at this point. If they play the Dukes to even a fairly close game I'll be thoroughly impressed as they have a very good team within the NEC.

VULB#62

The preview:

Tidbits
8-3 last year
12 FBS xfers
Leading rusher was FCS Freshman RB of year (1200 yards)
QB is an FBS xfer from Boise State
8 returnees on D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqGHElyT5o&feature=youtu.be

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on September 07, 2017, 10:41:34 AM
Trying to parlay one set of stats into another somewhat similar but far from equal situation is fruitless. First of all, SDS is an absolute powerhouse at the moment and might do the same to any NEC team which would likely pound most PFL teams. Last year, Stetson had Sacred Heart on the ropes and required a fourth quarter comeback by SH to beat Stetson the week before Valpo was beaten soundly by the same SH team. Valpo then beat Stetson. So following the bouncing ball is difficult and often follows no logic. 

Valpo playing as well as the team did vs. Montana is a good thing but we don't know anything about these teams at this point. If they play the Dukes to even a fairly close game I'll be thoroughly impressed as they have a very good team within the NEC.

Agree for the most part, but if Duquesne exhibited a glaring weakness, it was QB containment.  Not saying that makes us a winner, but it might give us a way to stay in the game.  Since Ben, we haven't had a mobile QB.  Now it seems like we might.  And with 8 Duquesne defenders returning, a mobile QB is gonna be needed.

Hope we can keep it close.

VULB#62

It doesn't seem at this point that the game will be streamed, but sometimes that changes before game time.  Regardless, I will not be able to watch this game stream live.  If it  (or for that matter any future games) is streamed, does anyone know if there is any way to access a streamed archive and watch it later?  Thanks!

Brandon

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2017, 10:58:51 AMIt doesn't seem at this point that the game will be streamed, but sometimes that changes before game time.  Regardless, I will not be able to watch this game stream live.  If it  (or for that matter any future games) is streamed, does anyone know if there is any way to access a streamed archive and watch it later?  Thanks!

No video streaming for this game, unfortunately. But we'll have Todd's outstanding pbp as always for those who can't make it to Brown Field.

VULB#62

Quote from: Brandon on September 07, 2017, 11:57:33 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2017, 10:58:51 AMIt doesn't seem at this point that the game will be streamed, but sometimes that changes before game time.  Regardless, I will not be able to watch this game stream live.  If it  (or for that matter any future games) is streamed, does anyone know if there is any way to access a streamed archive and watch it later?  Thanks!

No video streaming for this game, unfortunately. But we'll have Todd's outstanding pbp as always for those who can't make it to Brown Field.

Will that be archived and available for playback later?  If so, what's the link?

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 07, 2017, 10:52:04 AM
Quote from: JD24 on September 07, 2017, 10:41:34 AMTrying to parlay one set of stats into another somewhat similar but far from equal situation is fruitless. First of all, SDS is an absolute powerhouse at the moment and might do the same to any NEC team which would likely pound most PFL teams. Last year, Stetson had Sacred Heart on the ropes and required a fourth quarter comeback by SH to beat Stetson the week before Valpo was beaten soundly by the same SH team. Valpo then beat Stetson. So following the bouncing ball is difficult and often follows no logic. Valpo playing as well as the team did vs. Montana is a good thing but we don't know anything about these teams at this point. If they play the Dukes to even a fairly close game I'll be thoroughly impressed as they have a very good team within the NEC.
Agree for the most part, but if Duquesne exhibited a glaring weakness, it was QB containment.  Not saying that makes us a winner, but it might give us a way to stay in the game.  Since Ben, we haven't had a mobile QB.  Now it seems like we might.  And with 8 Duquesne defenders returning, a mobile QB is gonna be needed. Hope we can keep it close.

Couple of things about the containment issue for the Dukes. Of the 96 yards Taylor Christian gained rushing, 90 of them came on one play. So it isn't as if he was running all over the place all game. I'd actually be more intrigued if he ran it 15-20 times for 96 yards because that really would indicate a defensive issue at least for that game. In this case they just let him get away on one play.

Also, that player is the reigning MVC offensive player of the year and an FCS third team QB All American. So they were dealing with an exceptional player.

usc4valpo

Game day baby at beautiful Brown Field

JD24

Better draw a line in the sand now otherwise this one may get away from them.

Tristan not dressed out.

JD24

Valpo can score on anyone they'll play. I think that can safely be said. Have to stop 'em once in a while though. DBs making all the tackles.

297yds total offense is great. 322 vs the defense not so great.

JD24

JD24

JD24

Lost the first quarter.

Won the 2nd and 4th quarters. Tied 3rd quarter.

A remarkable improvement.

Duquense plays Dayton next week while Valpo goes to Trinity Baptist. Could be an indication of how far Valpo has come vs. PFL teams.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on September 09, 2017, 01:28:16 PM
Better draw a line in the sand now otherwise this one may get away from them.

Tristan not dressed out.

Coach said he and the big offensive tackle(Terrance Roberts) both expected back in two weeks for conference opener. For those keeping score, that's 640#!!!

What a gritty effort by our guys!  The conference race should be very interesting!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

valpotx

This bodes very well for conference season.  Was anyone at the game, and able to tell me if the WR fell down, or if he was pushed?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: covufan on September 05, 2017, 10:43:10 AM
I don't think we'll be competitive with FCS teams that offer scholarships for a few years, if ever.

Dukes    38
VALPO    20
[/quote

Some crow on the menu?  Driving for the win in the final minutes would certainly be "competitive"  We have a way to go on the defensive side of the ball but all the numbers were very close.  Fantastic effort and against the best back we will see all season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on September 09, 2017, 07:32:09 PM
I don't think we'll be competitive with FCS teams that offer scholarships for a few years, if ever.

Dukes    38
VALPO    20
[/quote

Some crow on the menu?  Driving for the win in the final minutes would certainly be "competitive"  We have a way to go on the defensive side of the ball but all the numbers were very close.  Fantastic effort and against the best back we will see all season.

I'm guilty of thinking the Crusaders would not compete. Didn't see this offense being able to keep it up. If they do keep the offense hot the Valpo fans may start to take the bags off their heads and start attending games.

valpofb16

Gave it a day to think on it. As a recap we were missing three starters (DeLaRosa, Riley, and Taliaferro). I thought Jimmy played extremely well. We NEED to get some sort of a run game going, oppurtunity to do that next week. Defense was a slight let down played well but they held Montana a better team to the same number. Would be nice to see that number go down.

All in all very solid effort against another scholarship program, right now I am comfortable projecting a record of 7 wins. I believe at drake, cambell, dayton, marist, and at jacksonville, we will go 3-2 in some facet for those games (would love to win all 5 8-))

VULB#62

Jimmy Seewald had the second best QB yards in FCS this past Saturday.

[tweet]907273647143903234[/tweet]

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on September 09, 2017, 07:32:09 PM

Dukes    38
VALPO    20
[/quote

Maybe.  Just glad we had a chance to win towards the end. 

Not counting wins against less than Division I football teams (PFL or other), by my count we are 8-44 the previous five seasons, with 6 games that we were within 8 points (not counting less than Division I close games).  I'm looking forward to how this team responds the rest of the season.  This team has a chance to win three home games and three road games.  Congrats to the coaching staff and many young men who have dedicated themselves to this program.

I've always thought that we should be somewhat competitive against teams like Duquesne, just programmed to only expect that from Dayton and San Diego.