• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA is considering changing the Red-Shirt Transfer Rule... Would hurt MidMajors

Started by VU2014, September 05, 2017, 08:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

This would really hurt Mid-Majors!!!

The Poaching that happens in College Basketball is already rampant in College Basketball!! This would be terrible for Mid-Majors. Power 5 Programs would just poach the good Mid-Major Players just like they do with the grad-transfer rule.

College Basketball just had over 800(!) transfers this offseason and that number would skyrocket even more if this happened. This is disgusting and terrible for the sport it happened.

https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/905184638779445248
https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/905206274706591750

http://247sports.com/Article/Sources-Major-Potential-Shift-In-NCAA-Transfer-Rules-107001121

Sources: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules
In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately.
By: Andrew Slater

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately, and that any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

In April, a 19-person task force comprised of commissioners, athletic directors, coaches, and student-athletes initially assembled under the name of Division I Transfer Working Group. Their mission was to bring a fresh approach to the often publicly maligned transfer process. Although earlier groups had been formed in prior years under similar missions, the Transfer Working Group was given more data, while also tasked with the goal of trying to create uniformity within the transfer process.

Within recent weeks, it has become more clear that the latter option of immediate eligibility for transfers who achieve a minimum GPA is the one gaining traction amongst members. The proposal must be completed by Nov. 1. The members of the Transfer Working Group will continue to seek feedback from fellow coaches, directors, commissioners and student-athletes in the days ahead, but it is becoming more likely that the proposal will be voted upon next April with the possibility of this going into effect as early as the 2018-19 calendar. The uniformity of applying the same rules across all sports would potentially streamline the transfer process.

Proponents of student-athletes being permitted to change schools as freely as coaches will undoubtedly laud this potential new development. The concern from some detractors may be the further encouragement of raiding smaller programs as well as the likelihood that the number of annual transfers will grow exponentially. The challenge of tracking potential tampering in pending transfers may also be a potential hazard of the new development.

Give this a watch:
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1zqKVRLZyoDKB
https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/905234107864580096

wh

Even stacked high majors will be trying to raid high profile players from other high majors to round out their rosters for a national championship run. Think Golden-State-adding-Kevin-Durant on steroids. Absolutely insane idea.

bigmosmithfan1

College basketball will be pointless to watch for all but a handful of teams if Power 5 programs are allowed to poach players at will. The sit-out year is the only modest tool stopping them. Ridiculous.

vu72

Not sure i agree with the panic.  So High-majors can poach from other High-majors but, there are lots of players who start at High-majors (think all of the guys who have transferred to Valpo--Joe and Bakari presently) who wouldn't have to sit a year.  If we had had those guys last year we would have made a run in the NCAAs.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

And once those high majors start bringing in the xfers, the current guys see the writing on the wall and start looking for the Valpos to continue their careers, and then the kids on the Valpo team see the new xfers coming in and will start looking at the low majors and ......   

Sorry, but this is gonna be a s@&$ storm.

VU2014

I hate this potential rule change for what it would potentially do Mid-Majors but all things asides, but isn't the NCAA still a "academic" institution that cares about graduating athletes???

How would potentially encouraging kids to jump from school to school be in anyway good for the STUDENT-athlete's education? It would likely cause more kids to fail to graduate and earn their degrees. Most kids even at the Power Conference level aren't going pro. Shouldn't the NCAA be encouraging kids actually graduate and leave college with some skills?

I am just so sick of the NCAA committee trying to make it easier for the Power Conferences and for them to line their pockets. It genuinely turns me off from the sport sometimes.

VU2014

bigmosmithfan1

I'll go a step further. Any non-P5 AD who even partially supports this change should be relieved of their duties immediately.

covufan

This is a two way street.  Don't forget, Valpo has Evelyn, Burton, and Fazekas who came to us from P5 programs.  Would we have been better immediately with them eligible? 

Valpo has been a school that builds a relationship with each recruit, and generally does not offer multiple scholarships at each position and tell recruits that it is open to the first to verbally commit or sign on the dotted line.  Being immediately eligible puts the P5 teams on notice with the three and four star kids that playing time, as well as the development of each player will be noted by those players.  Valpo needs to sell the whole college experience - playing time early in career (think Alec Peters), development as a player (think Vashil), and development as a skilled person with opportunities come graduation.  Does a kid want to sit a year or two, or get playing time.  The 2.5 star to 4 stars need to consider these things, especially as the P5 school offers a 5 star in the year after them. 

Yes, the Alec Peters and others will get the P5 schools talking to their AAU coaches for a feel of if they are considering transferring.  Valpo needs to have the strength of relationship with each player (and their families) so that we can minimize a player transferring up after a year or two. 

Even though my immediate feeling was similar to Dan Muller, I think we are in a unique situation, and should be able to utilize our advantages. 

VU2014

Quote from: covufan on September 06, 2017, 12:44:20 PM
This is a two way street.  Don't forget, Valpo has Evelyn, Burton, and Fazekas who came to us from P5 programs.  Would we have been better immediately with them eligible? 

Valpo has been a school that builds a relationship with each recruit, and generally does not offer multiple scholarships at each position and tell recruits that it is open to the first to verbally commit or sign on the dotted line.  Being immediately eligible puts the P5 teams on notice with the three and four star kids that playing time, as well as the development of each player will be noted by those players.  Valpo needs to sell the whole college experience - playing time early in career (think Alec Peters), development as a player (think Vashil), and development as a skilled person with opportunities come graduation.  Does a kid want to sit a year or two, or get playing time.  The 2.5 star to 4 stars need to consider these things, especially as the P5 school offers a 5 star in the year after them. 

Yes, the Alec Peters and others will get the P5 schools talking to their AAU coaches for a feel of if they are considering transferring.  Valpo needs to have the strength of relationship with each player (and their families) so that we can minimize a player transferring up after a year or two. 

Even though my immediate feeling was similar to Dan Muller, I think we are in a unique situation, and should be able to utilize our advantages. 

I could fully see a scenario playing out where a P5 player starts college at a P5. Doesn't get the playing time he wants & his "stock is down". Transfers his sophomore year to Mid-Major & performs well & his stock is back up again. Then a P5 coach comes calling and that player transfers once again. Thats not a great deal for Mid-Majors.

I still stand by my statement that this rule would be horrendous for Mid-Majors and for the Sport of College Basketball AND for the education of this kids.

I would rather the system remain as is rather then having College Basketball become a sport mercenaries for a year or 2. It would just become free agency. It is not like sitting out 1 year is a bad thing if a team wants to take on a transferring player. It allows for the student-athlete to craft his skills that year RS year, practice with the team & lets the student-athlete focus more on grades/academics and get an extra free year of education.

Mid-Major Basketball should not be treated like the filler league & minor leagues of college basketball.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 06, 2017, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 06, 2017, 12:44:20 PM

I could fully see a scenario playing out where a P5 player starts college at a P5. Doesn't get the playing time he wants & his "stock is down". Transfers his sophomore year to Mid-Major & performs well & his stock is back up again. Then a P5 coach comes calling and that player transfers once again. Thats not a great deal for Mid-Majors.

I still stand by my statement that this rule would be horrendous for Mid-Majors and for the Sport of College Basketball AND for the education of this kids.

I would rather the system remain as is rather then having College Basketball become a sport mercenaries for a year or 2. It would just become free agency. It is not like sitting out 1 year is a bad thing if a team wants to take on a transferring player. It allows for the student-athlete to craft his skills that year RS year, practice with the team & lets the student-athlete focus more on grades/academics and get an extra free year of education.

Mid-Major Basketball should not be treated like the filler league & minor leagues of college basketball.

Point taken, however, the Brandon Woods will play the transfer to transfer game irregardless.  I don't think we attract that type of selfish player.  Mid majors with no "program sole" would be the real losers.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on September 06, 2017, 01:07:06 PMI still stand by my statement that this rule would be horrendous for Mid-Majors and for the Sport of College Basketball AND for the education of this kids.
I guess I'm more of a numbers person.  Show me the data.

Valpo currently has three players that transferred from P5 conferences.  How many players in the last 5 years have transferred from Valpo to a P5 conference (including graduate transfers)?

zvillehaze

Quote from: VU2014 on September 06, 2017, 01:07:06 PM

This could happen, but based on what I've read, the player would need to sit a year on his/her 2nd transfer.

bigmosmithfan1

Look, are there more situations where an immediate transfer should be allowed than under current rules? Sure.

The one situation I'd be fine with making a change is allowing players whose coach leaves/is fired to transfer without penalty (except to the coach's new school - can't allow a coach to gut an entire program just because he wants a new job), provided they meet with new coach first. If you can't make coaches sit out a year when they change jobs (and despite my support of such a rule, it'd be against the law in too many states for it to ever be put into place), then the players should be able to be as mobile in that situation, and that situation only. (This would also prevent the unfair scenario of coaches running off a player they inherited when taking over at a new school, only to see that player have to sit out a year due to the actions/decisions of his new coach).

But transferring with no restrictions at all? It will be open season on every good non-P5 team and player, with nothing to discourage it. Basketball outside of the top 20-25 programs will be decimated, and not worth watching anymore.

VU2014

A fantastic article. I encourage everyone give this a read.

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/NCAA-coaches-loudly-speaking-out-on-potential-new-transfer-rule--107036402

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/905515765725626369

NCAA coaches loudly speaking out on potential transfer rule
Allowing college basketball players that option to transfer without penalty would be detrimental to the game, but the NCAA is considering it.
By: Evan Daniels

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/905525217019166720

vu84v2

Maybe the solution should not even limit it to between seasons. Players could switch between semesters...between games...during halftime.

SanityLost17

"We really want you to be a _______________(fill in blank).  I mean we REALLY want you, but we are out of scholarships right now for your position.  I see you have ____________(fill in blank) on your list right now as a potential landing spot.  I know they are in need of a shooting guard and they are really good at developing guards.  Go there and you will start and after _______________(insert player name) graduates we will have a spot for you if you still want to be a ____________(fill in the blank).

If I am a high major program I repeat that line to 2-3 kids at each position every year that I am iffy about offering a scholarship to or would really like to offer but am not currently in need of their position.   Whoever has the best season I give a call to their AAU coach who contacts them and boom.  I have a kid who started at a mid-major or other major program who has proved his skill. 

Not tampering.  Completely legal. Mid-Majors could do it to low-majors as well. 

ARCInsider

The current transfer rules aren't great either.  There needs to be a bit more freedom for players to leave without a year penalty, but the suggested rule would create chaos.  What about loosening the transfer rules for the following situations?

-If a head coach leaves, the player has 90 days to file for a transfer.
-If a player plays in less than 25% of games/minutes (that number is arbitrary, it could change), they are eligible to transfer.  A player getting no playing time at all isn't really in danger of being "poached."
-If a player is a medical redshirt, they are eligible for transfer without penalty.

Making adjustments like these would benefit the players who are transferring for reasons mostly beyond their control and not to simply stack a team.  A player like Grant Gelon should not have to sit a year or go JUCO because a new coaching staff tells him he has no future there (he fits exceptions one and two above).

Just some thoughts...

VULB#62

Might cumulative GPA also be used as a factor in sitting out vs. immediate eligibility? I mean these are "student athletes" right?  ::)

For instance......

A transferring player must be in good standing, have sufficient credits appropriate to that standing (e.g., 1st semester sophomore) and achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (3.0?) on a scale of 4.0 to be immediately eligible. Failure to meet any of the above would require sitting out for 1 year.  The rationale for sitting out would be to help meet academic requirements. Too naive, huh?

VU2014

Not a bad group of suggestions. Suggestion 1 & 2 might not be bad but I'd say maybe only allow those rule apply to upperclassman. I fully support suggestion 3.

Quote from: ARCInsider on September 07, 2017, 10:02:54 PM
-If a head coach leaves, the player has 90 days to file for a transfer.
-If a player plays in less than 25% of games/minutes (that number is arbitrary, it could change), they are eligible to transfer.  A player getting no playing time at all isn't really in danger of being "poached."
-If a player is a medical redshirt, they are eligible for transfer without penalty.

I think everyone would like the NCAA to actually start investigating and enforcing tampering/poaching of players... but we all know the P5 runs the NCAA offices & they may not want to bite the hands that feed them.

VU2014

This would be awful for the sport of College Basketball. College Basketball would essentially have free agency and the poaching of teams would be more rampant then it already is and it would give even more power to the corrupt AAU coaches acting as the players agents. This would make cheating more rampant.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/952626149473079297

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-ncaa-to-meet-soon-about-immediate-eligibility-for-transfers/

bigmosmithfan1

From the chatter I've seen, there might be a significant number of P5 schools who are against this change. Last thing you want if you're a non-traditional power in one of those conferences is to have to fight off the "elite" programs in your conference for players you already successfully signed. The schools that have a lot of "one and dones" could pluck top players from other programs to use as continuity/role players. Let's hope that chatter is right. This would devastate every midmajor program in the nation.