• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Strategic Plan tour

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 15, 2011, 07:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo95

Quote from: 78crusader on April 21, 2011, 08:12:20 AM

One of the ironies of the VU plan is that over the last ten years VU's national reputation has declined (not my opinion, these exact words appeared on the VU website as part of the explanation as to why a new brand was needed) while there are many more international students on campus.  The solution, it appears, is...more of the same.  I don't understand that.  Unless there are more Lutheran students than I think in places like Tehran and New Delhi, more international students means less of a Lutheran presence on campus.  A big part of VU's brand is its Lutheran heritage and identity.  Anything that dilutes that Lutheran presence is a mistake, it seems to me.  Paul 

As I've said before, there seems to be a noticeable decline in the reference to and emphasis on being a Christian university at all.  In my opinion, once you lose your identity there, it matters much less which particular subset or denomination is emphasized.  At best, we seem to be reminded of our Lutheran heritage and being a community of faith and meaning.  Without a distinctively Christian emphasis, those words have very little meaning.

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on April 21, 2011, 03:05:23 PM

One of the ironies of the VU plan is that over the last ten years VU's national reputation has declined (not my opinion, these exact words appeared on the VU website as part of the explanation as to why a new brand was needed) while there are many more international students on campus.  The solution, it appears, is...more of the same.  I don't understand that.  Unless there are more Lutheran students than I think in places like Tehran and New Delhi, more international students means less of a Lutheran presence on campus.  A big part of VU's brand is its Lutheran heritage and identity.  Anything that dilutes that Lutheran presence is a mistake, it seems to me.  Paul 

As I've said before, there seems to be a noticeable decline in the reference to and emphasis on being a Christian university at all.  In my opinion, once you lose your identity there, it matters much less which particular subset or denomination is emphasized.  At best, we seem to be reminded of our Lutheran heritage and being a community of faith and meaning.  Without a distinctively Christian emphasis, those words have very little meaning.

First off I'd love to see where on the Valpo website it says our image has declined.  That statement seems preposterous on its face.  Secondly I'm not sure where, 95, you feel our Christian character in on the decline either.  When you go to the "Why Valpo" part of the admissions page, among other things, you will read the following:

A place for exploration: Valparaiso University, an independent Lutheran institution, provides an encouraging environment for exploring your spiritual journey — whatever your faith background might be.

Now, if you want it to say:  "Where only Missouri Synod Lutherans feel comfortable", then you need to look at Concordia River Forest or somewhere else.  Valpo is a national and increasingly an international university with the accompanying draw and reputation.  It isn't a Lutheran teacher's college or seminary.

One only has to look at the fact that the Chapel remains, and always will be, the center piece of Valpo.  there is nothing on the webpage or in published information that would lead anyone to believe Valpo isn't Christian.  Have you taken the time to meet or discuss your concern with President Heckler of Provost Schwen?  I really think if you did, you would  change your feelings.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

VU has to keep Wehrenberg ... we spent over $5 mil about 10-15 years ago to remodel.  If you keep Wehrenberg, you gotta keep Brandt since they are connected.

I don't think the new dorm with 350 beds will be placed at the Huegli Hall site.  A dorm that size has to have adequate parking...and you just can't put a parking ramp right in the middle of campus.  The old master plan had a new dorm south of Guild-Memorial, along with a parking ramp.  That seems to make more sense.  By putting the new dorm and parking structure there, you would create a new residence hall area (it is my understanding the sororities will move to Guild-Memorial) and have the parking structure on the periphery of campus, where it belongs.  If VU is going to increase enrollment as planned, it has to have a new parking structure.  Plus the university is by now probably suffering from construction fatigue from all the middle-of-campus construction that has gone on nearly non-stop since 2006.  I would think the Huegli site would be a good place for the new science building, several years from now.

The area south of Guild-Memorial was just cleared of trees and has been made into an athletics field with sand volleyball courts, so it seems that a parking structure is not going there in the near future. I agree, it would be a good place though. I think that if they took the surface parking lot between Guild-Memorial and the ARC and put a parking ramp there, that would be great for needed parking for the ARC and a future residence hall.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

78crusader

Look, there is just no getting around the fact VU is placing much less emphasis on being a Christian university.  Take a look at VU's website and tell me how many times the word "Christian" is used.  And take a gander at this quote from the VU website describing the "Shield of Character":  "At its center is the Light, the source of all truth, serving as a reminder of who we are and what we strive to be."  Geesh.  If that doesn't new age, nothing does.  Whose light?  Budda's?  George Clooney's?  If they meant to say the light of Christ, why not come right out and say it?  The fact is: VU is trying to be all things to all people.  As Bill Cosby once said, "I don't know the key to success.  The key to failure, though, is trying to please everyone."  Paul

vu72

Paul, I appreciate you candor and concern regarding Valpo's direction. I agree on the shield thing, it certainly could be made much clearer.  However, if you are going to criticize the website, perhaps you should check it over carefully, and by that I certainly don't mean "you'll have to dig but you can find good stuff too"!

This is copied from the Faith and Learning page on the website:

Faith and Learning
Standing together at the center of campus, the Chapel of the Resurrection and the Christopher Center for Library and Information Resources express the University's belief in the creative relationship between faith and learning. The connection between the Lutheran heritage and academic studies extends far beyond the classroom at Valparaiso University. Our students, faculty, staff and alumni reach out from this center of liberal and professional learning rooted in the Lutheran heritage to serve not only the campus and Valparaiso community, but in places around the world with a sense of Christian vocation. This includes, but is not limited to, those who serve the church as ministers, educators, artists, musicians and scholars. Nurses, engineers and business professionals are also a major part of the connection between life and faith.

If you go to the main Valpo page and click on "About Valpo", the dropdown menu contains the Faith and Learning page.

Now, going a little further, Alan Harre has told groups of alumni, and I have heard him say this personally--"The word Christian has been hijacked by the born again sector"  What this means is that over emphasizing "Christian" at the expense of values, morals and actually living ones faith can paint you into a Bible belt box, limiting the students who may have an interest and thus lose our chance to influence those who come from other Christian faith traditions including Lutherans.  Of course we also end up limiting our outreach to non-Christians as well.

I admire you zeal and wish you and your family a blessed Easter!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Happy Easter to you too VU72!  You are a good guy and a key contributor to this board!  Paul

valpo95

Quote from: vu72 on April 21, 2011, 03:34:52 PM
First off I'd love to see where on the Valpo website it says our image has declined.  That statement seems preposterous on its face.  Secondly I'm not sure where, 95, you feel our Christian character in on the decline either.  When you go to the "Why Valpo" part of the admissions page, among other things, you will read the following:

A place for exploration: Valparaiso University, an independent Lutheran institution, provides an encouraging environment for exploring your spiritual journey — whatever your faith background might be.

Now, if you want it to say:  "Where only Missouri Synod Lutherans feel comfortable", then you need to look at Concordia River Forest or somewhere else.  Valpo is a national and increasingly an international university with the accompanying draw and reputation.  It isn't a Lutheran teacher's college or seminary.

One only has to look at the fact that the Chapel remains, and always will be, the center piece of Valpo.  there is nothing on the webpage or in published information that would lead anyone to believe Valpo isn't Christian.  Have you taken the time to meet or discuss your concern with President Heckler of Provost Schwen?  I really think if you did, you would  change your feelings.

72, I appreciate your enthusiasm and support for all things Valpo.  You are clearly a valued contributor to this community.

However, even the examples cited are descriptive -- there are some generic references to Christian vocation and references to morality and faith, but it is difficult to find any specific reference to being a Christian university, and few (if any) references to Christ.  The references became less visible in the new mission/vision branding that was launched in 2009.  Yet if "In Thy light, we see light" has any meaning at all, it is important to have at least the basics of a common understanding of who is the giver of all light and life, then figure out what we are supposed to do about it.

In terms of the Chapel, it is a great structure and is centrally located.  So are many of the great cathedrals in Europe, many of which have become primarily tourist destinations and trendy landmarks.  I don't want to the Chapel meet the same fate.  I'm not saying that Valpo should put up barriers to reaching out to the world and attracting non-Christians, but two schools came to mind that seem to be a whole lot more specific while maintaing very high academic standards:

Notre Dame's mission includes:
"A Catholic university draws its basic inspiration from Jesus Christ as the source of wisdom and from the conviction that in him all things can be brought to their completion. As a Catholic university, Notre Dame wishes to contribute to this educational mission."

http://www.nd.edu/aboutnd/mission-statement/

BYU's mission page includes:
To succeed in this mission the university must provide an environment enlightened by living prophets and sustained by those moral virtues which characterize the life and teachings of the Son of God. In that environment these four major educational goals should prevail:
All students at BYU should be taught the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Any education is inadequate which does not emphasize that His is the only name given under heaven whereby mankind can be saved. Certainly all relationships within the BYU community should reflect devout love of God and a loving, genuine concern for the welfare of our neighbor.

http://unicomm.byu.edu/president/missionstatement.aspx

I don't want to debate theology on this forum.  Still, Notre Dame and BYU are be successful, highly regarded academic institutions while publicly maintaining far more specific statements of their beliefs than are part of the 2009 revisions.   

Have a good Easter!

vu72

I had a great Easter!  Sang at church, came home to cook Australian lamb for 14, had a few glasses of wine, cleaned up and fell on my face asleep!!

78 and 95 have made very solid points and I agree that just inferring Christianity and saying it boldly are two different thing entirely.  It is a fine line and if we begin to slip away from our roots (and the new branches that have sprung from those roots), then I will personally lead the charge keep Valpo pointed in the right direction.  At this point, based on what I've seen and the people with whom I've spoken, I believe we are under solid leadership.

On a side note, I think our branding has been very effective, not just related to the current shift, but over the longer term as well.  Here is a prime example:  After reading that Valpo had defeated Hawaii in two of three games, I went to Hawaii's website to see what they were reporting.  Here is the their webpage:  http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/index.aspx?path=bb

What is great about this is that a school in Northwest Indiana with 4000 students doesn't need an introduction to fans in Hawaii.  It is simply "Valpo".  That says a lot to me.  Name and brand recognition means bundles to schools and to graduates seeking jobs.  If you at least know the school by name, even if you don't know its academic reputation or even its location, its a plus and we are gaining more "pluses" every day!

GO VALPO!!