• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #3 @ Trinity International

Started by VULB#62, September 09, 2017, 05:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Expecting a 25-30 point spread in this game

bbtds

Does anyone know how the video works on TIU's website?

EDIT: It's working now with Todd's call.

bbtds

Valpo's D must stiffen or this will be another shoot out game with the team scoring last winning the game.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on September 16, 2017, 01:17:35 PMValpo's D must stiffen or this will be another shoot out game with the team scoring last winning the game.

???

There was never any chance this would be a shootout game.

JD24

I knew Rene was out but was it mentioned why Nunes seems to be missing?

valpofb16

Nunes was questionable no need to play today, 44-10 without a top 3 defensive player is encouraging, means depth, we established the run which is what I was looking for, Boxrucker has a serious chance to shatter recent rushing td records.

That being said we did the right thing and handed it to an inferior team, looking forward to next week

valpofb16

Also burned Brimmages redshirt , trying hI'm out both sides of the ball, think he fits better long term as a wr

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 16, 2017, 07:22:59 PMNunes was questionable no need to play today, 44-10 without a top 3 defensive player is encouraging, means depth, we established the run which is what I was looking for, Boxrucker has a serious chance to shatter recent rushing td records. That being said we did the right thing and handed it to an inferior team, looking forward to next week

Todd mentioned that Nunes would be back next week so that makes sense.

JD24

Why is Butler in a 6 point game in the 4th quarter vs. Taylor. Taylor lost to TIU last year.

....and Butler has to win the game in the final seconds. A win is a win. I guess.

usc4valpo

As expected, an easy win over a ham and egged opponent. Now to the greatest city in the world and win in Dogtown!

VULB#62

In talking to MLB at the alumni reception prior to the game, he mentioned that 4 defensive starters were out - two DL possibly for the season.  Sorry, don't have the names. Nunes had a hamstring pull.   Tristan saw alot of action. Lost a freshman DB, Scargel, to a knee injury.

We started out listless. It was HOT and steamy on natural grass that was not well maintained. Eventually, we  tightened our D (the kid who ran for 181 last year got squat this game) and did some great stuff on O. Duncan, unfortunately, had a really crappy set of luck on his snaps. For instance, a rolling snap and immediate protection breakdowns. Kid deserves better. Jarrett might have gotten a record for a TD run from scrimmage (99 yds) but got caught by a DB so it only was 80 something.  ;)

The TIU TD was a blown coverage. Receiver was wide open in the endzone. He was standing there picking his teeth when the ball arrived. The TIU kicker is the real thing BTW. Our kicker (#1) has improved tremendously since last year.

The stats tell the story. Their running game was pretty much shut down. We had 200+ rushing and 200+ passing. Seewald is getting even better.  Nice touch on long passes and crisp throws on short routes. Our receivers seem to have been practicing catching long balls in the air and in a crowd. 

Based on the two games I've been to, we played so much better v. Montana (IMO). I also learned that we got screwed v. Duquesne. Talking to some parents about the pick that ended our comeback in the remaining minutes, our receiver was pushed down and that allowed the DU back behind the play to get the pick. Parents I talked to were adament that had that not happened we might have pulled it out.

More later.

JD24

Amongst the defensive starters from the two previous games Nunes and Riley didn't play for sure. On the DL, I thought I saw them all save maybe James Reed (93) and Tristan would be starting over him anyway. Maybe MLB was referring to Murphy Osmond who I don't think has played at all in 2017 yet?

A question I have for MLB is why does it appear that no home games will be streamed?

chef

Valpo is making a big commitment to improving the ESPN3 broadcasts in all sports. It's a rather large process with all new equipment and a new setup. Unfortunately, it will not be ready til at least the middle of next month. There's hope in getting a game or two streamed at the end of the season.

VULB#62

Reed may be out for the season as maybe Riley (?).  I have to go down the roster to remember what MLB mentioned.

BTW, in comparative 'still shots' (on offense at least) compared to TIU, we looked like Montana against us two weeks ago sizewise.....

Amazing the difference in levels of football. I

Oh, I thought our undersized guys did a better job of handling our opponent's size v. Montana.

We will know much better where we stand after the Dayton/Duquesne game tonight and our Drake game next week.