• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - @ Drake

Started by VULB#62, September 11, 2017, 07:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

This probably is a stupid thing to do at this point,  but regardless of how we do at TIU, I wanted to point out that Drake opened the season against South Dakota and got crushed at home 77 million to whatever. They had a breather this past weekend, but now they face Hurricane Irma, er, SDSU, rated #4 in FCS. SDSU crushed Duquesne without taking a deep breath.

What am I getting at? Once they assess their casualties and the injured return from local hospitals, Drake players, IMO, will have to be looking at Valpo as another breather. I think they will be surprised.

BTW again, as I monitor the PFL forum, I am seeing more and more of the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid reactions (who are those guys?) from posters regarding Valpo. One guy even thinks we might finish ABOVE .500.  And that guy wasn't me.

One last point. For some crazy reason, Valpo has traditionally given Drake all they could handle -- even in the Carlson era.

Please consider this just as a placeholder until we get past TIU, okay?

usc4valpo

I will be there to see Valpo get to the 500 mark!

JD24

I don't think Drake will look past Valpo at all although I think Valpo can certainly beat Drake.

South Dakota beat Bowling Green this past weekend so SD crushing Drake is no more a surprise than SDST crushing Drake which they assuredly will.

The best barometer of Valpo will come this weekend when Dayton plays the Dukes.

VULB#62

By next Saturday we will know a lot more about the remainder of the season.  No doubt about that.

VUOR63

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 11, 2017, 07:56:18 PM
One guy even thinks we might finish ABOVE .500.  And that guy wasn't me.

LOL.  Lets win 2 in a row so that we can actually broach the subject!

covufan

Quote from: VUOR63 on September 12, 2017, 09:57:20 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 11, 2017, 07:56:18 PM
One guy even thinks we might finish ABOVE .500.  And that guy wasn't me.

LOL.  Lets win 2 in a row so that we can actually broach the subject!
I tend to agree, but things are looking as though an above 0.500 record in the PFL is possible this season.  Once every 14 years.

covufan

JD24

Quote from: covufan on September 12, 2017, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 11, 2017, 09:06:01 PMI will be there to see Valpo get to the 500 mark!
Dare I say it?

Let's not forget that last year's team lost two, won two and then had Morehead State until they let them have the ball for a 17 play drive losing in the last few seconds which included a couple of 4th down conversions. So an above .500 record at that point was right in their hands.

VULB#62

Drake goes down to #4 South Dakota State 51-10. About the same as Duquesne's score. We can go nose to nose with these guys.

valpofb16

Notes:
QB: Mullen made debut
RB: None
FB: None
WR: Navarro started over hobbled Rene, will see if this stands
TE: Ryan Clarke DNP last game
OL: Taliaferro still out, Lundberg missed last game, Roberts made season debut
DL: De La Rosa did make debut did not start, Gerdys first career start, Studyvin out, Reed out, Germain made debut
LB: Skarecky moved to OLB and started, May just be a look will see next week if Petrie lost job, Regan made season debut
DB: Benavides moved from S to CB and started over Leandre, same situation as Petrie, Leach made debut, Brimmage made debut, Benavides first career start. Riley out. Nunes out. Booker first start

valpofb16

Scouting Drake

First of all they redshirt everyone. Only two players in rotation have not been redshirted and those are juco pick ups

Offense: More of a passing offense this year as opposed to traditional Drake run heavy team

QB: Returning Grant Kraemer from last season, Juco pick up, PFL player of the week once last season
RB: Split carries between Jacob Clay and Taylor Murph both RSFR.
WR: All over 6ft and around 200lbs, bigger group
OL: Both guards were HM all-conference last season.

Defense: Run a true 4-3

Defensive Line: Have 3 players who were HM all conference last year, 4th starter is a fifth year
LB: Young group only Mike back Maize had experience starting before this year
DBS: Experienced group all 4 are RSJR and above

Leaders
Passing: Grant Kraemer 649yds, 7TDs
Rushing: Taylor Murph 96yds. 0TDs
Receiving: Mitch McFarlane 185yds, 3tds
Tackling: FS Austin Dismond 13
TFL: LB Zac Rujawitz 2.5
Sacks: DE Mack Marrin 2.5
INTL: 3 with 1

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 17, 2017, 01:04:45 PMTE: Ryan Clarke DNP last game OL: 

Clarke played at TE yesterday. Did you mean he didn't play vs. Duquense?

In addition, he's the LSer so my guess is that he's played in all three games.

Quote#5 Jalin Leandre JR. (2/3)   #29 Julian Benavides FR. (1/3)   #14 Cam Kelly FR. (0/2) 

Which game did Benavides start? Seems to me that Leandre started all three on one side and Riley and Scargle have started on the other side. This is made more confusing by the numbers. Leandre used to wear #29 IIRC. The game notes are still wrong. Brimmage was wearing #7 yesterday as well.

valpofb16

Participation report didnt list him, i can modify

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 17, 2017, 01:45:47 PMParticipation report didnt list him, i can modify

I'll take a guess that the participation report lists players as they enter the game and that Clarke first appeared as a long snapper. Seemed to me that he and Petruf were at TE most of the second half.

valpofb16

Benavides starting was also from box score

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 17, 2017, 01:56:39 PMBenavides starting was also from box score

I think that's incorrect. Odd that a guy not on the depth chart would start out of nowhere particularly when I don't even recall seeing a 29 on the field. CBs seemed to be Leandre, Scargle, Kelly, Hebda, Brimmage. As I mentioned, I think the numbers 5 and 29 are causing confusion in some spots at least with whatever computer program is being used. I'm not sure Benavides has seen any action.

JD24

Getting back to what's going to happen Saturday vs. Drake. I think it's going to be a shootout. I'll be very surprised if either defense is able to stop the opponent offense.

covufan

Looking forward to being able to compete in this game.

VALPO  -  31
Drake   -  27

usc4valpo

Brandon

Quote from: JD24 on September 17, 2017, 02:11:08 PMI think that's incorrect. Odd that a guy not on the depth chart would start out of nowhere particularly when I don't even recall seeing a 29 on the field. CBs seemed to be Leandre, Scargle, Kelly, Hebda, Brimmage. As I mentioned, I think the numbers 5 and 29 are causing confusion in some spots at least with whatever computer program is being used. I'm not sure Benavides has seen any action.

Yes, there were a few tweaks to the initial participation report, which is quite often the case. I go back and make any needed changes on Sundays with help from Rob Tulcin and our coaching staff. LeAndre started, not Benavides. Clarke, Taliaferro & David Hebda were added; Leach, Rene and Benavides subtracted. Benavides didn't play this week, but he did see action in each of the first two games.

JD24

Quote from: Brandon on September 17, 2017, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: JD24 on September 17, 2017, 02:11:08 PMI think that's incorrect. Odd that a guy not on the depth chart would start out of nowhere particularly when I don't even recall seeing a 29 on the field. CBs seemed to be Leandre, Scargle, Kelly, Hebda, Brimmage. As I mentioned, I think the numbers 5 and 29 are causing confusion in some spots at least with whatever computer program is being used. I'm not sure Benavides has seen any action.
Yes, there were a few tweaks to the initial participation report, which is quite often the case. I go back and make any needed changes on Sundays with help from Rob Tulcin and our coaching staff. LeAndre started, not Scargle. Clarke, Taliaferro & David Hebda were added; Leach, Rene and Benavides subtracted. Benavides didn't play this week, but he did see action in each of the first two games.

Thanks Brandon. Todd mentioned that there were all sorts of technical issues just getting the stream on air and mentioned you were a big part (perhaps the only part) of getting it all together and it is appreciated.

valpofb16

QB   #9 Jimmy Seewald SO. (3/3)   #14 Chris Duncan RSFR. (0/3)   #4 Joe Mullen RSSO. (0/1)   
RB   #10 Jarrett Morgan SR. (3/3)   #44 Kyle Cartales SO. (0/3)   #32 Cody Boxrucker FR. (0/2)   #21 Elias Earley RSSO. (0/3)
FB   #40 Brannen Martin RSFR. (0/2)         
WR   #1 Jean Rene JR. (2/2)   #26 Donny Navarro FR. (1/3)   #23 Bailey Gessinger SO. (0/3)   
WR   #30 Frank Catrine SR. (3/3)   #2 Griffin Norberg JR. (0/3)   #82 Deuce Larose FR. (0/2)   
WR   #3 Parker Fox RSSO. (3/3)   #12 JD Koehler RSSO. (0/3)      
TE   #84 Mason Sutter JR. (3/3)   #87 Martin Petruf SO. (0/3)   #16 Ryan Clarke SR. (0/3)   
RT   #76 Alex Cotton RSSO. (2/3)   #75 Shannon Taliaferro JR. (1/2)      
RG   #73 Tom Schofield JR. (3/3)   #72 Solomon Kamara RSFR. (0/2)      
C   #65 Jack Jarnigan RSSO. (3/3)   #70 Brady Sullivan RSSO. (0/2)      
LG   #67 Eric Rentschler JR. (3/3)   #66 Sam Vas FR. (0/3)      
LT   #60 Andrew Lundberg RSSO. (2/2)   #77 Terrence Roberts RSSO. (1/1)   #71 Bryce Biggs RSFR. (0/2)   
NT   #93 James Reed SO. (2/2)   #92 Drew Gedrys FR. (1/3)   #56 Tristan De La Rosa (0/1)   #97 Jeremiah Olojo FR. (0/2)
DT   #99 Jakob Trumpower RSSO. (3/3)   #91 Jordan Goebel RSFR. (0/3)   #62 Nathan Orlandini FR. (0/2)   
DE   #34 Jay Slone RSSR. (2/3)   #54 Jesse Studyvin JR. (1/2)   #96 Cam Germain FR. (0/1)   
OLB   #18 Mike Wheeler JR. (3/3)   #33 Gowan Baldwin JR. (0/3)      
ILB   #24 Drew Snouffer JR. (3/3)   #9 Tyler Newkirk SO. (0/2)   #39 Jack Buckey SO. (0/1)   #43 John Regan SR. (0/1)
ILB   #49 Nick Turner JR. (3/3)   #47 Matthew Messler RSSO. (0/3)   #6 Logan Pfizenmayer FR. (0/2)   
OLB   #36 Austin Petrie SO. (2/3)   #37 Laddie Skarecky FR. (1/3)   #38 Joey Poloskey FR. (0/3)   #35 Gavin Twigg FR. (0/2)
CB   #5 Jalin Leandre JR. (3/3)   #14 Cam Kelly FR. (0/2)   #41 Henry Hebda FR. (0/2)   
FS   #28 Josmar Diaz-Martinez JR. (3/3)   #29 Julian Benavides FR. (0/2)   
SS   #4 JJ Nunes RSSR. (2/2)   #20 Jamari Booker SO. (1/3) #22 Tramone Duncan FR. (0/2)      
CB   #17 Brandon Riley SR. (1/1)   #25 Dilan Scargle FR. (2/3)   #7 Brent Brimmage FR. (0/1)   
K   #1 Dimitrios Latsois SO. (0/3)         
P   #88 Alex Ng JR. (0/3)         

Updated and corrected

VUOR63

My prediction: Valpo wins in a triple OT thriller.  64-62.

The game will be a better track meet than the Drake Relays.

VULB#62

With the exception of a drubbing of Southwestern (KS), an NAIA school which hasn't won a game yet and was picked 10th in their conference, Drake has not exhibited much of an offense so far, so a track meet probably will not happen.

BTW, Duquesne went into Welcome Stadium and beat Dayton and the result was similar to ours, except we were in a position to win it late. Not as much for Dayton.  Marist beat GTown but needed a lot of luck to do it. Butler pulled out a win out over D-III Taylor in the last 7 seconds. Campbell lost to Presbyterian. Stetson lost to Dartmouth at home. Morehead was destroed by OVC celler dweller Austin Peay which broke their nation leading 29 game losing streak.  To be honest, no one in the PFL scares me anymore. With some luck and a tough attitude going into every game, we have a chance against our whole PFL scheule.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 17, 2017, 10:18:57 PMWith the exception of a drubbing of Southwestern (KS), an NAIA school which hasn't won a game yet and was picked 10th in their conference, Drake has not exhibited much of an offense so far, so a track meet probably will not happen. 

Drake's offensive "problems" were playing two of the better FCS teams which have very good DLs. Drake's QB was under a lot of duress yet still was able to accomplish some things offensively. I watched their game Saturday. Versus PFL teams they should be able to consistently move the ball and I expect that to continue vs. Valpo which has only defensively stopped a one dimensional lower level NAIA school playing without their starting QB.

Any review of Dayton must be done so keeping in mind that they have played 3 games without their starting QB, Alex Jeske, who is a very good player. I believe he may be back this week for Dayton vs. Morehead St.

Morehead seems to be down. I don't know how to read Stetson as they were tied with Marist in the 4th Q. Campbell should lose handily to Presbyterian. Butler I already commented on. What an attrocious win for them. Valpo was better than them last year and lost in probably the worst loss of last season.