• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - @ Drake

Started by VULB#62, September 11, 2017, 07:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 23, 2017, 03:07:23 PMInjuries might push us closer to 2-9 than the expect 5-7 wins WR: Rene, Larose 

I think it was Boxrucker who was hurt on the kick coverage play. 32 not 82. Boxrucker was not seen after that at least at RB.

Seewald looked really rattled in the 2nd half. In fact, in the drive after the exchange of picks, the offense ran the ball likely to reduce the stress on Seewald even though they had 3 scores to get at a point it was still doable. Jarnagin was a big loss. Offense really fell apart after he went out. Lets hope it is not a long term issue.

vu72

We just aren't there yet.  Sure, we are bigger and deeper and more experienced than before, but that wasn't all that tough to do.  On the road, in the heat, with our injuries, all of a sudden we we're relying on freshman again.  And at that, against a team starting mostly seniors or red-shirt seniors and for their Homecoming.  It was just too much.  Hope some of the guys who went down or those on the mend can make it back.

We've got Homecoming next weekend and I'm coming up to see a win!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

The defense gas gassed out in second half. When Drake drove 98 for a score, I knew it was over.

btw, there was a simply pathetic non pass intervene call in the second quarter and there was a dad in row 1 really ripping into the ref.  it was pretty intense.

Valpo had no pressure on the QB and the secondary had a rough day.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 23, 2017, 06:29:32 PMThe defense gas gassed out in second half. When Drake drove 98 for a score, I knew it was over. btw, there was a simply pathetic non pass intervene call in the second quarter and there was a dad in row 1 really ripping into the ref.  it was pretty intense. Valpo had no pressure on the QB and the secondary had a rough day.

There were some non calls on both sides I thought. There are a couple of sets of parents who spent a good portion of last year bellowing at the referees and not necessarily for anything warranted. I'll guess said dad is the father of a WR.

In short, the secondary is awful and it's not just an inexperience issue. There are some players who should be the glue who have acted like the holes and the occasional hard hit does not make up for what they are allowing.

JD24

Overall this may have been the most disappointing game in the Cecchini era. The team appeared to have made a quantum leap forward and should have been able to play with this team and Valpo got a spanking. Last year's game was closer and this team is supposed to be better. Valpo did not play like they are yesterday.

Coach's comments regarding "we proved we could play with them in the first half" is pure nonsense. You don't prove anything in a half. Once again, looking back to last year's Drake game shows that the '16 team was driving for a tying TD in the 4th quarter when they ran out of gas and then Seewald threw a bad pick (very reminiscent of the first pick yesterday) which put the game out of reach. So I'm not sure Valpo is any more "playing with them" at least in this game than they were last year.

We also heard some comments regarding "depth issues" and some bizarre "next year" comments which is certainly odd after the first league game of a year the team was supposed to make some big jumps. Now we're already talking about next year? It's year 4. The depth issues, experience issues and next year issues should no longer be a factor. Figure out how to win games.

Stetson's up next. In short, Stetson stinks and appears to be a bit in a state of disarray especially offensively after the death of a player and being displaced by a hurricane for a week. This is as much a must win for the program as there has been in this staff's Valpo era.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on September 24, 2017, 09:23:08 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on September 23, 2017, 06:29:32 PMThe defense gas gassed out in second half. When Drake drove 98 for a score, I knew it was over. btw, there was a simply pathetic non pass intervene call in the second quarter and there was a dad in row 1 really ripping into the ref.  it was pretty intense. Valpo had no pressure on the QB and the secondary had a rough day.

There were some non calls on both sides I thought. There are a couple of sets of parents who spent a good portion of last year bellowing at the referees and not necessarily for anything warranted. I'll guess said dad is the father of a WR.

In short, the secondary is awful and it's not just an inexperience issue. There are some players who should be the glue who have acted like the holes and the occasional hard hit does not make up for what they are allowing.

I'll confirm that. At Montana, he sat behind us and was on the officals so intensely that me and my family (including 2 grandsons 10 and 13) had to move to get away from the loud, embarrassing diatribes. Some Valpo fans and Montana fans just looked at this guy and then kind of slid away like the way you'd do if he was farting uncontrollably. Midway in the 3rd quarter no one except his wife was within 15 feet of him. This guy did his best to undo all the good things about the Valpo/Montana atmosphere.

usc4valpo

Some things never change...

You have the dad who wants to live his life based on his son's success or endeavors.
You also have the dad who really thinks his kid is preparing for NFL by playing for Valpo (yes, I saw this in college, I kid you not).