• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - @ Drake

Started by VULB#62, September 11, 2017, 07:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The final Duquesne score was also mitigated by their not having their best RB who for 100 yards against us.   QBs (in this case Jeske) are always difference makers, but I think this result is a very good indicator of comparative strength. This could be the year we can give Dayton a go instead of experiencing something like a 45-10 loss. It might still be us giving up 45, but we'll score 40. Or it might even be us 45 and them 40.

As for Drake, I'll certainly acknowledge the superiority of their FCS opponents and I think the USD 77 point explosion was an aberration with the SDSU score more of an accurate barometer, but this does not translate to a track meet for our game.  I believe it will be a hard-fought game and that the final score differential will be 7 or fewer points with the winner scoring in the low to mid 30's.  I am concerned that we lost some OL experience going into TIU due to injury and that our secondary made some mistakes that an experienced one would not have made.  I also look at the penalties and note that it is uncharacteristic of a Cecchini coached team.  That must be remedied.

VULB#62

Here is the Drake website account:

Football Falls at No. 4 South Dakota State

BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Drake University football team dropped its first road contest of the season Saturday as the No. 4 South Dakota State Jackrabbits topped the Bulldogs 51-10 at Dykhouse Stadium in Brookings, S.D.

"We love playing these guys, because South Dakota State is such a good program. It helps raise our level of play to go against a program like this. They deserve the ranking they have and we wish them the best moving forward. We hope to continue this series in the future," said Drake head coach Rick Fox. "We were much better today than we were two weeks ago against South Dakota in terms of reducing the mental mistakes against a high-quality opponent. We got to do better with our execution in our techniques. You can get away with it against a lesser opponent but you can't get away with it against a team like South Dakota State."

The Jackrabbits' high powered offense was extremely efficient in the first-half, scoring on all five of its drives and went 4-for-4 on third-down conversions. The Bulldogs were forced to punt on their first four possessions and then SDSU forced a turnover, taking a 34-0 lead.

Taryn Christion led SDSU's offense by throwing for 171 yards with two touchdowns and also ran for one. Jake Wieneke was Christion's top target, catching four passes for 33 yards and touchdown. Dallas Goedert recorded three reception for 35 yards and a touchdown.

"Offensively they are loaded and have so many weapons. Their quarterback [Taryn Christion] can beat you in so many different ways and there isn't a weakness that you can force them to use," said Fox.

The Bulldogs managed to get on the board before the end of half, cutting SDSU's lead to 34-3. Senior quarterback Grant Kraemer helped orchestrate an 11-play 60-yard scoring drive, which was capped off by a 24-yard field goal by Danny Donley.

On the ensuing kickoff, Jackrabbits' Cade Johnson returned it for a 95-yard touchdown, giving SDSU a 41-3 lead at the half.

The Bulldogs scored their only touchdown of the game on their second drive of the second-half. Kraemer found an open Steve Doran in the middle of the field with two Jackrabbit defenders colliding into each other which helped Doran to break free for a 62-yard touchdown and cut SDSU's lead to 41-10.

The Jackrabbits came right back with a 64-yard touchdown drive and then used a 51-yard field goal by Chase Vinatieri in the fourth-quarter to earn the 51-10 victory.

Kraemer finished his evening throwing 18-of-31 for 201 yards and a touchdown. Doran was the team's top receiver with five catches for 91 yards. Brock Reichardt recorded 68 rushing yards on 16 carries.

Defensively, Connor Willis led the time with seven tackles, followed by Austin Dismond and Collin Seymour with five stops each.

Drake returns to Drake Stadium on Saturday and will welcome Valparaiso to open Pioneer Football League action.

VULB#62

A VERY superficial assessment of the Box Score  >>  http://godrakebulldogs.com/custompages/Statistics/football17/du03.htm    <<  produced these items that jumped out.

>  Drake had the majority of possession time 34:19 to 25:41
>  Most SDSU scoring drives were quick but sustained: 1:50 TD, 3:05 TD, 4:45 TD, 1:58 TD, 0:38 TD, 0:00 TD (95 yd KO return), 2:51 TD, 2:57 FG
>  Total Offense for Drake 324; SDSU 377.  Actually, pretty close, but Drake had the ball almost 9 more minutes.
>  SDSU appears to have taken their foot off the pedal in the second half -- gave their backup QB 13 pass attempts, 7 backs had carries in the game and 9 receivers had at least 1 reception
>  SDSU had leads of 34-0, 34-3, 41-3 (at the half); 41-10, 48-10 and 51-10
>  Drake starting QB was 18-31-1 TD and 1 INT  for 201 yards.  Sacked 4 times.

VULB#62

Drake OL and DL starters.  Note, with one exception, they are all seniors.

O-LINE
LT - 68: 6-5, 290 (Sr)
LG - 55: 6-3, 282 (R-Sr)
C - 62: 6-2, 270 (Sr)
RG - 72: 6-3, 297 (R-Sr)
RT - 77: 6-3, 301 (So)
TE - 88: 6-3, 224 (Sr)
Also:
QB - 15: 6-3, 231 (Sr)

D-LINE
DE - 91: 6-2, 246 (R-Sr)
NG - 56: 6-3, 267 (Sr)
DT - 46: 6-4, 282 (Sr)
DE - 96: 6-2, 246 (R-Sr)

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

SO LB Tyler Newkirk has left team. Played a bit as a freshman, was a back up to begin year.

Honestly wonder how Drake can redshirt every single player and keep everyone on roster. While Valpo plays kids as freshmen and they they leave I.E. Hall,  Cambell, Farwick, Orlich, Penn, Moore, Newkirk

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 19, 2017, 03:21:59 PMSO LB Tyler Newkirk has left team. Played a bit as a freshman, was a back up to begin year. Honestly wonder how Drake can redshirt every single player and keep everyone on roster. While Valpo plays kids as freshmen and they they leave I.E. Hall,  Cambell, Farwick, Orlich, Penn, Moore, Newkirk

I asked the same question prior to camp. I'm not sure what the answer is. Let's keep in mind that there were some issues with a player or two who "left" which can't be prevented.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 19, 2017, 03:21:59 PM
SO LB Tyler Newkirk has left team. Played a bit as a freshman, was a back up to begin year.

Honestly wonder how Drake can redshirt every single player and keep everyone on roster. While Valpo plays kids as freshmen and they they leave I.E. Hall,  Cambell, Farwick, Orlich, Penn, Moore, Newkirk

I'll take a shot at that.  I think the answer goes back over time.  Drake has been a competitive PFL team from the start. 

They have:
>> A combined record in the PFL of 173 wins, 86 losses and 1 tie over a span from 1993 to 2016. 
>> In that span of 23 seasons, suffered only 2 losing campaigns and
>> Amassed 6 PFL titles.

This history enables them to justify and get buy-in for a "Drake Bulldog Way" I suppose.  And that would include telling recruits that, unless you are Superman, (1) you will be redshirted as a freshman, (2) you will be expected to wait your turn, and (3) you will learn from the players ahead of you. 

Valpo will not be able to do that until we are consistently .500 or above and, even then, it will take many years to get the kind of consistency exhibited by Drake that would afford us the ability to implement a "Valpo Way" that results in senior-dominated teams year in and year out.

I don't know if this has any bearing, but Drake put 65 players on the 2016 PFL academic honor roll compared to 41 for Valpo.  What blows this up a bit is that Butler put 95 on the list.  95!  C'mon Man, that's the entire football team.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 19, 2017, 09:28:57 PMThis history enables them to justify and get buy-in for a "Drake Bulldog Way" I suppose. And that would include telling recruits that, unless you are Superman, (1) you will be redshirted as a freshman, (2) you will be expected to wait your turn, and (3) you will learn from the players ahead of you. .................. What blows this up a bit is that Butler put 95 on the list. 95! C'mon Man, that's the entire football team.

Overall I think you're on to something. It helps to set expectation so when the player isn't starting by year 2 he's not disappointed enough to leave.

When Butler published their list, did they put it out there as "everybody made the list except these 3 players".

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on September 19, 2017, 09:42:37 PM
When Butler published their list, did they put it out there as "everybody made the list except these 3 players".

:rotfl:

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on September 19, 2017, 09:42:37 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 19, 2017, 09:28:57 PMThis history enables them to justify and get buy-in for a "Drake Bulldog Way" I suppose. And that would include telling recruits that, unless you are Superman, (1) you will be redshirted as a freshman, (2) you will be expected to wait your turn, and (3) you will learn from the players ahead of you. .................. What blows this up a bit is that Butler put 95 on the list. 95! C'mon Man, that's the entire football team.

Overall I think you're on to something. It helps to set expectation so when the player isn't starting by year 2 he's not disappointed enough to leave.

BTW, I would not restrict this approach to just Drake.  USD and Dayton are also in a position to do the same based on an extended record of consistent success.  After that, most teams will have some winning seasons and some losing seasons so that they can't get that type of commitment from recruits.

VULB#62

OH, oh.  I owe Butler football an apology. It was not 95.   It was 75.   :-[   And Dayton had 79.

But still........

JD24

One concerning issue with the Drake game is the number of true freshman who've now appeared on the two deep due to some injuries and could get worse if Scargle can't go. He was on crutches after the game Saturday. Of course, he's a freshman himself but at least he has some serious game experience.

As an aside, maybe valpofb16 can add here if he can, is Austin Petrie injured? He went from starting at OLB to off the two deep inside of two weeks.

VULB#62

Here's Todds Drake preview YouTube.  Dave emphasizes Drakes size, very strong, experienced defense and the need to stop the Drake running attack.  He also gives much credit to the Drake QB for being a good thrower with good football experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvA_XDEG098&feature=youtu.be

valpofb16

As far as Petrie no idea showed up in stat line last week just didnt start, i know coaches love Poloskey and Skarecky,

Defense injuries are adding up thougn Studyvin, Reed, Iery, Lane, Scargle, Riley. Mixed with attrition of Newkirk, Hall, Cambell, Johnson

No bueno. No bueno

#29 Benavides left team
#48 Baker left team

valpofb16

For what its worth OL Ron Williams #78 has moved to DT, 6-1 365 nice size

we also have a rare grade transfer to Valpo Wilyem Thomas D3 oline likely to redshirt this year

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 20, 2017, 02:38:53 PMAs far as Petrie no idea showed up in stat line last week just didnt start, i know coaches love Poloskey and Skarecky, Defense injuries are adding up thougn Studyvin, Reed, Iery, Lane, Scargle, Riley. Mixed with attrition of Newkirk, Hall, Cambell, Johnson No bueno. No bueno #29 Benavides left team #48 Baker left team

So Benavides played in a couple of games as a freshman, doesn't play game 3 and now he's gone. I hope there's more to this one.

usc4valpo

We will be having lunch the Library (do not let the name fool you) on University Ave. and then off to Drake Stadium  to see Valpo reach the 500 for the first time since ???

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 22, 2017, 06:40:27 PMWe will be having lunch the Library (do not let the name fool you) on University Ave. and then off to Drake Stadium  to see Valpo reach the 500 for the first time since ???

Last year.

Valpo beat Davidson in game 4 and was 2 up and 2 down after 4 games and had Morehead State on the ropes in game 5. Valpo's defense allowed a 17 play drive to end the game with MSU scoring a TD to go ahead.

usc4valpo

game day in Des Moines baby!!  It will be hot in Dog Town. Where will you all be?

VULB#62

Represent the rest of well!

valpofb16

VULB#62

We are moving the ball.  That track meet that someone predicted might happen.

valpofb16

Injuries might push us closer to 2-9 than the expect 5-7 wins

WR: Rene, Larose
OL: Jarnigan
CB: Scargle, Riley
DL: Iery, Studyvin, Reed

Also why did we completely abandon Cartales and Boxrucker both were working. Instead we force fed Jarrett. Also if you bring Duncan in and the defense loads the box, its not like the kid cant throw (Remember Montana?). Defensive line is just not hitting home but we can't blitz due to injury. Jarnigan is worst injury we could possibly have.

I'm writing this late third quarter

valpotx

Can't stop their screen game
"Don't mess with Texas"