• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 Marist

Started by JD24, October 07, 2017, 07:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

62 - I cannot see anyone this board as impatient for results. I still believe a 5 win  season is a reasonable goal in year 4 of the program. If this does not get accomplished, I still think there is much work to be done. I am certainly not saying that Cecchini should be fired if 5 wins cannot be reached, but a 5 win season is still a 5-6 season. The good news is after this win, this goal can be and should be reached.

JD24

Right now I think a win vs. Morehead St should be expected. After that, it's going to be far more difficult and my expectation is we'll have to be happy with beating Morehead St.

Of course key injuries could change my thoughts.

usc4valpo

I think a Butler win is not out of the question

VULB#62

Excuse me, but I have a question about our place in the media hierarchy in NW Indiana. Sure, local HSs are important to the region, but so is its only D-I university.

I went to the the NWITimes site and to my chagrin noticed that the headline for our win against Marist was just the intro for a watered down coverage of other college football results. Huh?

VU D-I FB is finally relevant in this region to a greater degree than in the last decade. The best players not scooped by Purdue or UND  need to know about Valpo.  I used to think that Paul Oren was our beat writer. But he was out covering HS VB games.  As a result, we got minimal exposure.  Give me a freaken break. This game had all kinds of story lines:  lightning delays, VU scoring, never having beaten Marist, etc. And we get two small paragraphs on Sunday.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 15, 2017, 10:00:50 PM
Excuse me, but I have a question about our place in the media hierarchy in NW Indiana. Sure, local HSs are important to the region, but so is its only D-I university.

I went to the the NWITimes site and to my chagrin noticed that the headline for our win against Marist was just the intro for a watered down coverage of other college football results. Huh?

VU D-I FB is finally relevant in this region to a greater degree than in the last decade. The best players not scooped by Purdue or UND  need to know about Valpo.  I used to think that Paul Oren was our beat writer. But he was out covering HS VB games.  As a result, we got minimal exposure.  Give me a freaken break. This game had all kinds of story lines:  lightning delays, VU scoring, never having beaten Marist, etc. And we get two small paragraphs on Sunday.
My guess is that the NWITimes readers don't normally read the paper(or online version) for college football - hence the HS coverage.  I tend to agree that if any print media should be covering VU football, it should be the NWITimes. 

:twocents: