• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The PFL website - huh?

Started by VULB#62, October 07, 2017, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

OK, It is now 8:30 PM Saturday, GAME DAY.  The PFL site has yet to post a single final score.  That  is really lax.

In other threads, we have wondered how much of a spine and motivation this confrence office posseses (i.e.  Mercer and now Campbell).  This is not what I would call an impressive conference track record — more like a hobby.

Vinny

It's a microcosm of the PFL as a whole. The league is a loophole organization that allows schools to halfass football and maintain Division I status. The Mercers and Campbells of the world can invest a little dough, strive to be bigger time and generate alumni excitement along the way. The PFL will always be there as a haven for schools that can pound their chest about being "D1!!!" without acting like a real Division I football program.

JD24

There are posters who lean towards a bit of negativity. Then there's the above poster at a whole new level.

usc4valpo

I think in the early 90's the NCAA required consistency in their Division level. Valpo was Div 2 in football and other sports while sports like basketball and baseball were Div 1. So Valpo went Div. 1 non scholarship football like other schools similar in their situation, which in reality is similar to Division 3. So at the end Valpo saved money and now the program is a lean mean money making machine. Vinny is sarcastically correct.

JD24

It's not a one post conclusion. It's the summation of a series of posts which puts the poster in a category of their own.

usc4valpo

I have to admit that Vinny has a very good point here. Valpo Football is a glorified Div. 3 program and unlikely that it will grow to a championship level. The lacking financial commitment for facilities and the campus apathy strongly contributes to the problem.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 10, 2017, 12:45:41 PMI have to admit that Vinny has a very good point here. Valpo Football is a glorified Div. 3 program and unlikely that it will grow to a championship level. The lacking financial commitment for facilities and the campus apathy strongly contributes to the problem.

His consistency in posting is in posting comments about eliminating virtually every sport but men's basketball. Tell that to the athletes.

usc4valpo

I understand JD24. But there is something about the Pioneer conference and Valpo football where they go through the motions to exist rather than striving for something better. I would never say eliminate all sports except basketball. Perhaps some need consideration where the commitment is not there. I think Cechini is doing a good job but more enthusiasm from the university is desperately needed.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 10, 2017, 12:45:41 PM
I have to admit that Vinny has a very good point here. Valpo Football is a glorified Div. 3 program and unlikely that it will grow to a championship level. The lacking financial commitment for facilities and the campus apathy strongly contributes to the problem.
[/b]

We have beat this horse quite often.  The arguments for keeping football have been stated and restated.  My issue with your statement focuses on the idea of lack of financial commitment for facilities, and I'm presuming you are also focused on lack of commitment for football facilities.

Just a reminder that new artificial turf, moving stands and adding handicap accessibility, new scoreboard and lighting all were added less than 10 years ago.  A new weight room with equipment equal to Notre Dame was added less than 4 years ago and a new football locker room and team room added less that 2 years ago.

I guess the whole facilities issue hits me as not being very understood.  These things cost a LOT of money.  Just the current additions to Hilltop to make it a dedicated practice facility for basketball and volleyball (this includes air conditioning and new LED lighting), will cost $500,000.  The new video broadcast system including running fiber optics to Em Bauer will cost about $600,000.  The locker rooms/team rooms for all sports (to my knowledge) have been redone over the last few years.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on October 11, 2017, 01:14:36 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 10, 2017, 12:45:41 PMI have to admit that Vinny has a very good point here. Valpo Football is a glorified Div. 3 program and unlikely that it will grow to a championship level. The lacking financial commitment for facilities and the campus apathy strongly contributes to the problem.
We have beat this horse quite often.  The arguments for keeping football have been stated and restated.  My issue with your statement focuses on the idea of lack of financial commitment for facilities, and I'm presuming you are also focused on lack of commitment for football facilities. Just a reminder that new artificial turf, moving stands and adding handicap accessibility, new scoreboard and lighting all were added less than 10 years ago.  A new weight room with equipment equal to Notre Dame was added less than 4 years ago and a new football locker room and team room added less that 2 years ago. I guess the whole facilities issue hits me as not being very understood.  These things cost a LOT of money.  Just the current additions to Hilltop to make it a dedicated practice facility for basketball and volleyball (this includes air conditioning and new LED lighting), will cost $500,000.  The new video broadcast system including running fiber optics to Em Bauer will cost about $600,000.  The locker rooms/team rooms for all sports (to my knowledge) have been redone over the last few years.

To your point, Barker Lane Stadium, where the Crusaders just played is a really nice appropriately sized facility and cost $10mil when construction first began 10 years ago. It would certainly cost more nowadays and I don't know where that would come from.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on October 11, 2017, 02:02:21 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 11, 2017, 01:14:36 PM
We have beat this horse quite often.  The arguments for keeping football have been stated and restated.  My issue with your statement focuses on the idea of lack of financial commitment for facilities, and I'm presuming you are also focused on lack of commitment for football facilities. Just a reminder that new artificial turf, moving stands and adding handicap accessibility, new scoreboard and lighting all were added less than 10 years ago.  A new weight room with equipment equal to Notre Dame was added less than 4 years ago and a new football locker room and team room added less that 2 years ago. I guess the whole facilities issue hits me as not being very understood.  These things cost a LOT of money.  Just the current additions to Hilltop to make it a dedicated practice facility for basketball and volleyball (this includes air conditioning and new LED lighting), will cost $500,000.  The new video broadcast system including running fiber optics to Em Bauer will cost about $600,000.  The locker rooms/team rooms for all sports (to my knowledge) have been redone over the last few years.

To your point, Barker Lane Stadium, where the Crusaders just played is a really nice appropriately sized facility and cost $10mil when construction first began 10 years ago. It would certainly cost more nowadays and I don't know where that would come from.

And I am not quite sure if that price tag included the W Irvin Warren Athletic Center that houses football offices and locker and training facilitries.

usc4valpo

Valpo needs a new scoreboard as if it is way behind the times. I would bet the football budget is also on the bottom half of the Pioneer League. Sure it is expensive but this is a given for everyone.

VULB#62

Disagree. The scoreboard is ok and not a deal breaker. Yes, it would be great to have video replay. But that also presupposes a video system that would support it. More $$$$$.

The key additions need to be what attracts and retains great players. A scoreboard is not the magic answer.

My gut is that the next step should be a grandstand and press box that is at least at a level above what these kids are used to playing in front of in high school. Heck, VHS has a better venu.

usc4valpo

62- i did not say the scoreboard is the silver bullet. I am saying that you need to stay with the times. Many high schools in Iowa have video scoreboards and we are proclaimed as Div. I.

Regarding the press box, I have not been to Brown Field in a while, but has anything changed since the 80s? If not, that is a major major problem.

Many events and many positives can result with a decent stadium renovation.

valporun

Well, this thread hit the proverbial "What were we originally talking about?" stage. It went from talking about the PFL website being behind on posting final scores to talking about the lackluster/high school looking Brown Field facilities talk. Here we go again... The poor hobby horse has been beaten.

VULB#62

Same home side.  Newer visitor side

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on October 12, 2017, 08:40:49 AM
Well, this thread hit the proverbial "What were we originally talking about?" stage. It went from talking about the PFL website being behind on posting final scores to talking about the lackluster/high school looking Brown Field facilities talk. Here we go again... The poor hobby horse has been beaten.

Only commonality is both are behind the times.   ;)

Yeah, lets get off the topic.

usc4valpo

THE PFL needs to be more proactive with their site. Show a little pride guys!

VULB#62

Personally, I don't care whether the PFL upgrades its site. My focus is on Valpo, and if the PFL website does not report our scores until Sunday, so what. I have other options. It is just a 'nice to have.'

But it does reflect a degree of casualness.