• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #0 - EXH - Robert Morris (Chicago) Thursday 11/2/17 7pm ARC

Started by talksalot, October 20, 2017, 10:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 10:40:35 PMI actually liked what I saw from Smits tonight. I liked his footwork around the basket. He had 2 blocks (granted it was a against shorter and D2 opponents).

He looked more confident AND at least for tonight he kept his frustrations in check. That was an issue at times last year. He looked like he was having fun out there.

I'd like to see Smits and other Valpo players finish better at the rim. Derrik made some good moves to the basket but early on he wasn't scoring (except from the FT line) because he was weak putting the ball in the basket.

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 07:58:52 PMDid anyone see that Smits post move? He didn't make it but the footwork looked really impressive.

This was true of other Valpo players in general too. If that happens against MVC teams Valpo is not going to dominate the rebounding as much and will not get all the second chance points that we did against Robert Morris.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 11:50:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZnPoZBTB4

Where do they hold these postgame press conferences - in the furnace room?  It always sounds like industrial fans or motors humming in the background. Could someone do something about this - please? 

Talk about lack of self awareness. Good grief.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on October 30, 2017, 11:49:31 AMTop 5 things I'll being watching for:

-How do Bakari Evelyn and Joe Burton look? Are either of them going to turn into the impact guys we think they can be?

-Does Tevonn embrace the role of being "the guy"? Has he improved his 3pt shooting.

-Who plays the 4? How do our freshman forwards look? Will the 4 be the weak link of this team?

-Has Micah taken the next step in his development?

-Have the Sophomore 7 footers evolved their games since last season?

How about we evaluate how Valpo did in these areas in the exhibition game against Robert Morris?

Evelyn & Burton both looked very good and will both greatly impact this team but I also saw quite a bit from our returning players, Walker, Bradford, Joseph, Sorolla and Smits all looked impressive in this game against a lesser opponent. It will difficult for Matt to decide how to divide up the playing time. With the depth we have we won't have the problem with foul trouble except if Sorolla, Smits and Linssen all get in foul trouble but then we can use Hazen and McMillan.

I think Tevonn embraced his leadership role. He will be the go to guy like Alec was last season. If anyone is going to take over Alec's role on this team I believe it will be Tevonn.

As for the 4 I think Hazen did a good job battling for rebounds and involving himself in the play. He seems to really like playing on this team rather than being the 5 on his high school team. He is one of the players that I hope learns to finish better at the rim and scores more than he did in this game.

I would say Micah game has improved but I still think we need to see him play against guards in the MVC to truly evaluate his progress.

I would say of our two 7 foot sophomores Smits has improved the most. Sorolla made some good improvements at the end of last season which was the reason he played more often at the end of last season. J is starting right where he left off. I would like to see both of our 7 footers finish better at the rim although both improved on that as the game went on.

vu72

Quote from: Jordan on November 03, 2017, 01:50:49 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 09:19:38 PMThis is a really fun team to watch. Very athletic and excels in transition. This team's offensive philosophy is completely different from past Valpo Teams. This team isn't slowly bringing the ball up the court and running offensive sets like we did under Bryce and last year team. Coach Lottich is really letting them press the ball and shoot threes. This team sort of actually reminds me of how Kampe's teams play offensively. We held RMU to under 70 points but I didn't think we play all that well defensively. Definitely room for improvement. This really is a whole new era of Valpo Basketball. You can see the potential with this team!

Was the tempo increase just a factor of the opponent's press? Or do we think we'll actually see some up and down play this season?
[/b]

Part of it was their press while other parts of our offense was what you should see this season.  Clearly we are much more athletic from top to bottom than last year.  Micah looked like he ate a turbo charger for dinner.  Think of the guys who graduated or are no longer with the team.  Then look at who replaced them.  That was so much fun to watch on TV and can only imagine what it was like in person! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

A couple quick thoughts (although I didn't see the first 15 mins of first half so didn't see much of Burton).

1. Bakari showed very good court vision, made some nifty passes in transition and has a little flare (which is nice).

2. Golder is the new "microwave."  He can score quickly, in bunches and from various places on court.  He and Joseph off the bench will keep offensive continuity.  He also reminded me a bit of Shane in his ability to separate from the defender in the open court and ability to get to the rim in traffic. Burstability.

3. Hazen has that 6th-sense Indiana trained basketball IQ.  I love that! Finds the space to rebound, anticipates, near the ball.  Lots of potential there.

4. McMillen has that Orlando Woolridge body and potential. Again, good potential but definitely bench is deeper and better with him and Linssen and Kizer bringing toughness.

5.Finishing at the rim.  Problems with exhibition games, guys try to do a little more and a little faster.  Had Parker, Smits and others slowed down a bit they finish a lot of those.  There will be power guys from MVC teams at the rim.  We still need to be stronger, tougher at the rim, but overall improvement down low.  Tough game for bigs with the press and pace of game.

6.  I still worry about 3 shooting, but we'll see.  If we hit enough of them, the middle will open and this will be a fun team.  Our TV guys talked about how Matt likes more possessions a game, and this team will be better up tempo, but some good post passes and sets mixed in here and there despite tempo.  They also did a nice job on their last poss, horrible on giving up 3 at end of half.  Matt discussed that during halftime interview (btw, sideline guy, relax, slow down (understand first game), you had the right thoughts on the questions, keep them simple and quick, Matt wants to get in the locker room).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

M

Bradford looked much more comfortable out there.
Evelyn and Burton are going to be very good. Really like how they could finish through contact.
Golder is the best leaper we've ever had.
Hazen did a nice job rebounding and should be enough of a threat to require his man to stay near him.
Smits and Corolla looked a little better.
McMillan has all the tools to be a star once he gets polished up (that dunk he had was real impressive).
Tevonn looked healthy and ready to shine.
Linssen I don't think will see a lot of time, but his big body should come in handy.  The way he runs up and down the court makes me smile.  I think he might get on some ankle breaker highlights if he gets switched off on a ball handler.

I think this is the most athletic team we've ever had at Valpo, will that result in a bunch of wins.....I hope so

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on November 03, 2017, 07:13:21 AM
Part of it was their press while other parts of our offense was what you should see this season.  Clearly we are much more athletic from top to bottom than last year.  Micah looked like he ate a turbo charger for dinner.  Think of the guys who graduated or are no longer with the team.  Then look at who replaced them.  That was so much fun to watch on TV and can only imagine what it was like in person!

Very impressive!  Any concerns about Lottich's ability to recruit were put to rest after last night.  The new guys are clearly more athletic then last years. 

Did anyone count the dunks from last night?  If might be fun for the students to have a dunk-counter during the games ... just make sure it goes higher then 9!

VULB#62

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 03, 2017, 09:54:35 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 03, 2017, 07:13:21 AM

Very impressive!  Any concerns about Lottich's ability to recruit were put to rest after last night.  The new guys are clearly more athletic then last years. 

Did anyone count the dunks from last night?  If might be fun for the students to have a dunk-counter during the games ... just make sure it goes higher then 9!

From the Valpo web site:

Valpo did well in the open floor, finishing the night with 34 fast-break points. The Crusaders gave the fans plenty to cheer about as well with eight dunks from four different players, led by four jams from Golder.

VUGrad1314

I wonder if there's some kind of charitable angle we could work with that celebrates this team's  athleticism while helping contribute to worthy causes either nationally or locally Call it something like Jams for Jimmy V or Jerry Lewis or Juvenile diabetes  Flushes to Find a Cure or Family House Slamma Jammas for St Jude Monster Dunks for Muscular Dystrophy Dunks for Diabetes Or something that rewards the elite court vision of our guards for each assist  like March of Dimes Dropping Dimes against Domestic Violence etc. Or for hitting threes Splash Down for the Salvation Army or something I think this fits a lot with what Valpo and being a Crusader is about while encouraging exciting and winning basketball

talksalot

I'm sure a lot of folks will remember the "Nothing but Net" 3 point baskets where a number of sponsors kicked in $20 for every 3-pointer made...for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Porter county... now, they are Centier Bank 3 Pointers and have been for a number of years.... but I like the idea of a sponsored Dunk... (I'm thinking Donuts here !)

FieldGoodie05

Impressed with our players cohesiveness, TBD if it sticks.  I was impressed with the overall offensive skill set of our YOUNG team.

My few take aways have more to do with improvements, so forgive the lack of more positive notes:

1) Bakari was quite expressive on mishaps, arguing with team mates vocally and with hand expression.  He was Smits-esque in arguing calls against him...

2) Burton seemed in control of emotions and was quite impressive with body control.  Thought we might see him crash the boards more?  As a SF, I might expect he would be tasked with offensive rebounding.  The guards get back on D, no?

3) Golder was impressive, impressive, impressive.  I liked how he contended shots defensively, as that was my top concern with a guy of his ilk.  Anyone see him occasionally forget to get back on defense quick enough?  Sometimes he was star gazing after his shots or others...

4) I'm not as concerned with our bigs in a game against smaller opponents, we knew this wasn't going to be a big test of their improvements.  The foul trouble on RMU bigs was to be expected, Smits and Sorolla are more athletic than D2 bigs.

5) Tevon = Tevon, Best all around player we'be had since he put on a VU Jersey.  Hope he stays healthy.  Considering he won't be driving to the basket as much as in years past, I expect less brutality against him. Bakari, Burton, Golder being added take away that demand that existed last year.

6) Defense is a huge IF.  Getting back after a miss is my top take away.  Combine that with the overhelp when we all collapse on the driver, and we have two areas of emphasis that are easier to adjust.

Optimism has grown in this pessimists' eyes!!!  Now onto a road game at CSU.

VU2014

Quote from: Jordan on November 03, 2017, 01:50:49 AM
Was the tempo increase just a factor of the opponent's press? Or do we think we'll actually see some up and down play this season?

From what I've heard the offensive philosophy will be different with this team. The coaches want the guys to press more then in years past. The roster construction is different then Bryce's teams. Obviously we won't be scoring over 100+ every night and this was byproduct of playing a much less talented D2 team and RMU was just quickly taking shots and not running sets. I'm high on the potential of this team. Last night was fun to watch but I want to see us against better opponents. RMU was simply overwhelmed by Valpo's size and athleticism.

I'm still in wait and see mode with how good this team can be this year. Last night felt more like a showcase of potential and gave us a first impression. I want to see how the guys look against a capable D1 defense/offense on the other-side.

Chicago State - Not a good team but they a strong offensive player in Sims Jr.
North Park - It should be another blowout
Trinity - Shouldn't be a close game
SIUE (Nov 15) - Not a great team but it will be the most talented team we've seen till this point in the schedule and will be on the road.

Southeastern Louisiana (Nov 19) - This is the first game that I think will give Valpo a test. We'll see how good defensively this team is because SELA has a super athletic little PG name Marlain Veal who should be able to collapse the defense and penetrate the paint. It will be the first real test, imo. We'll get a better idea of this team after this game.

Samford (Nov 21) - Samford's a Top 100-150 team in the nation. Another good game to gauge how good we are at least early on in the season.

Valpower

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 03, 2017, 11:26:04 AM
I wonder if there's some kind of charitable angle we could work with that celebrates this team's  athleticism while helping contribute to worthy causes either nationally or locally Call it something like Jams for Jimmy V or Jerry Lewis or Juvenile diabetes  Flushes to Find a Cure or Family House Slamma Jammas for St Jude Monster Dunks for Muscular Dystrophy Dunks for Diabetes Or something that rewards the elite court vision of our guards for each assist  like March of Dimes Dropping Dimes against Domestic Violence etc. Or for hitting threes Splash Down for the Salvation Army or something I think this fits a lot with what Valpo and being a Crusader is about while encouraging exciting and winning basketball
How 'bout partnering with Al-Anon; dunks for drunks and flushes for lushes?  :cheers:

FieldGoodie05

Anyone know if the Chicago State exhibition game is streaming? How are we to catch the action?

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 03, 2017, 05:13:48 PMAnyone know if the Chicago State exhibition game is streaming? How are we to catch the action?

It appears there will be no coverage, other than the live stats charts

Pgmado

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 03, 2017, 07:04:43 PM

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 03, 2017, 05:13:48 PMAnyone know if the Chicago State exhibition game is streaming? How are we to catch the action?

I'll be there and will be tweeting away. Twitter.com/NWIOren

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on November 03, 2017, 07:25:36 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on November 03, 2017, 07:04:43 PM

I'll be there and will be tweeting away. Twitter.com/NWIOren

Is CSU campus safe after dark?  Also, is there a parking garage or do we have to park on the street?

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 03, 2017, 08:28:54 PM
Is CSU campus safe after dark?  Also, is there a parking garage or do we have to park on the street?

The game's at 3 pm.  If you leave at halftime, you should be safe.

valpopal

Saw much of the basketball team at tonight's volleyball match, and noticed Micah was limping a bit with a boot on his right foot. From what I could tell, there didn't seem to be much concern about it. Could be just a sprain (he says with fingers crossed).

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 03, 2017, 08:34:59 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 03, 2017, 08:28:54 PM

The game's at 3 pm.  If you leave at halftime, you should be safe.

CSU has perimeter fencing and security personnel at the entrance. Once on campus, you will drive directly to the bb venue and park adjacent to the entrance. There is a strong campus security presence inside and out - completely safe and secure. A modern venue with good sight lines and some of the best snacks and junk food (nachos are excellent) of anywhere we've been. Enjoy!

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on November 03, 2017, 09:02:54 PM
Saw much of the basketball team at tonight's volleyball match, and noticed Micah was limping a bit with a boot on his right foot. From what I could tell, there didn't seem to be much concern about it. Could be just a sprain (he says with fingers crossed).

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully its just precautionary and not a anything too serious like a stress fracture or a broken bone. Thanks for the update.

VUBBFan

https://twitter.com/ChiStateCougars/status/926562224935665664

Don't know how to post this but it's about Saturday's game. It says there will be radio coverage on Chicago state radio network. Don't know the frequency is or if it can be received in Valpo.

valpospartan

Quote from: wh on November 03, 2017, 07:08:39 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 11:50:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZnPoZBTB4

Where do they hold these postgame press conferences - in the furnace room?  It always sounds like industrial fans or motors humming in the background. Could someone do something about this - please? 

Talk about lack of self awareness. Good grief.

The sound system is equally as bad as is the ARC's .

crusadermoe

That's quite a load to lay on the young man.  Although Alec wasn't nearly the athlete as a freshman that he was as a junior/senior he was clearly a lights out shooter as a freshman.