• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #8 - Morehead State

Started by VULB#62, October 22, 2017, 09:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

What happened after the Campbell game?  These guys are playing very well right now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on October 22, 2017, 01:46:45 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 22, 2017, 12:50:24 PM
Quote from: JD24 on October 22, 2017, 11:37:52 AMI didn't think yesterday's results worked "favorably" for Valpo. I thought MSU was a win prior to yesterday. They beat a Stetson team that Valpo was hanging on against themselves.
If you can figure out Valpo's chances based on other game results then you are much better than most.  Yes, Valpo was "hanging on" to beat Stetson but we handily beat the snot out of Marist who beat Stetson by 21 and only lost to Drake by 5. I would be surprised if Valpo lost any of their remaining games by more than 2 TDs and, I  think we go 2-2 and finish 5-6.

The Marist game was an anomaly.....for all sides.

Still think so??   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2017, 04:41:24 PM
Quote from: JD24 on October 22, 2017, 01:46:45 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 22, 2017, 12:50:24 PM
Quote from: JD24 on October 22, 2017, 11:37:52 AMI didn't think yesterday's results worked "favorably" for Valpo. I thought MSU was a win prior to yesterday. They beat a Stetson team that Valpo was hanging on against themselves.
If you can figure out Valpo's chances based on other game results then you are much better than most.  Yes, Valpo was "hanging on" to beat Stetson but we handily beat the snot out of Marist who beat Stetson by 21 and only lost to Drake by 5. I would be surprised if Valpo lost any of their remaining games by more than 2 TDs and, I  think we go 2-2 and finish 5-6.
The Marist game was an anomaly.....for all sides.
Still think so??   ;)

There is some potential here of me being incorrect in my analysis.  :lol:

usc4valpo

Valpofb16 - nice win, but let's see another win before talking about an extension. Seriously, a 4 and 8 record does not suffice for an extension.

In 1984, I believe basketball coach Tom Smith got tenure after 4 subpar seasons, especially after an embarrassing season with the Rob Harden fiasco. Maybe they gave him tenure because it was safe economically and they could lowball on salary. Anyway, Valpo needs to be careful here as we need to get out making mediocrity acceptable.

valpofb16

Usc4valpo I hear you , however I personally believe we will go 2-1 over final stretch , which will put him at 6-5, which isn't great, but no other valpo coach has had that record since 2003-05 range, so I would extend him given its been 12 years , especially if he hits that six win mark

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2017, 09:29:16 AMMaybe they gave him texture because it was safe economically and they could lowball on salary.

Did they give him a Chrysler Cordoba with rich Corinthian leather seats? That is really nice texture!    ;)

usc4valpo

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on October 28, 2017, 01:52:06 PM
snoozer so far
Amazing comment...If scoring 63 is a snoozer to you I guess there is no pleasing some people. We just made Morehead look like the College of Faith!

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 29, 2017, 12:39:27 PM
Quote from: JD24 on October 28, 2017, 01:52:06 PMsnoozer so far
Amazing comment...If scoring 63 is a snoozer to you I guess there is no pleasing some people. We just made Morehead look like the College of Faith!

63? I didn't wait that long. It was 21-0 at the time I made the comment.

Ironically, I almost made a College of Faith comment towards the end of the game. Something along the lines of "who knew College of Faith would show up in Morehead St uniforms."

In other words, it was all in jest.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 28, 2017, 01:47:47 PMOK, so I turned on the game on ESPN3 briefly and saw something that I have NEVER seen before: a 0-yard punt return for a touchdown. Morehead State had 4th and 9 on their own 2 and was punting. The punter, hurried and punting into a strong wind, hit the punt straight up and it never carried out of the end zone. A Valpo player fell on it for a touchdown. Bizarre.

I had never seen that before either but somehow it may have been topped today in the NFL with Miami "grad" Travis Benjamin catching a punt at his own 8 and running backwards into his own endzone where the Patriots were happy to tackle him and take the points.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on October 29, 2017, 07:07:06 PMI had never seen that before either but somehow it may have been topped today in the NFL with Miami "grad" Travis Benjamin catching a punt at his own 8 and running backwards into his own endzone where the Patriots were happy to tackle him and take the points.

I wonder if NFL teams have classes for situations like this in training camp. "If the ball is punted and is near the end zone and you catch it you MAY NOT run into the end zone for a touchback." How smart do you have to be to play football. It doesn't seem that hard. In the Morehead game none of the Morehead players chased the ball after it was punted and didn't leave the end zone. When Valpo fell on the ball in the end zone and it was a touchdown why didn't any of the Morehead players know this?

VULB#62

First of all, running back into the endzone and being tackled is not a touchback -- it's a safety.  The receiver probably missed the meeting when that was covered and thought that he'd be safer running to the endzone for a touchback and then having the ball on the 25 instead of (in reality) giving up 2 points and having to punt the ball back to the opponent.  It's all about showing up.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 30, 2017, 10:52:51 AMFirst of all, running back into the endzone and being tackled is not a touchback -- it's a safety.  The receiver probably missed the meeting when that was covered and thought that he'd be safer running to the endzone for a touchback and then having the ball on the 25 instead of (in reality) giving up 2 points and having to punt the ball back to the opponent.  It's all about showing up.

It appeared to be a lack of awareness on Benjamin's part as to where he was on the field. He went backwards to try and reverse field and turn up field and the Patriots were waiting for him.

In Valpo's situation, the refs got together the discuss the play which had me worried. My guess is they were just making sure the ball didn't touch a MSU player in the field of play although, even if it had, I think Valpo is allowed to choose as to where to take the ball (where it is touched or where it is downed) even though the ball would technically be "dead" when the MSU player touched the ball.

chef

The ball needs to be downed to be dead, just touching a player on the kicking team doesn't kill the play.

JD24

Quote from: chef on October 30, 2017, 11:27:02 PMThe ball needs to be downed to be dead, just touching a player on the kicking team doesn't kill the play.

That's not completely correct. Supposition: MSU kicks to Valpo and the ball hits a player from MSU and bounces to a Valpo player who then takes off with the ball and fumbles. Is it a fumble? No. The ball is dead due to an illegal touching violation by MSU. This is not the same an illegal touching penalty. However, when this situation happens....ball touched but not downed by the kicking team...the receiving team is at no risk of losing the football. They have the choice of taking the ball where it was touched or where it was downed. If they fumble, no matter where it occurs on the field of play, the ball is given to the receiving team where the ball was first touched.