• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Basketball Media Day: 2017-2018

Started by VU2014, October 23, 2017, 03:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

MVC Media Day is tomorrow (10/24). I'm guessing we'll get a flood of news tomorrow so I thought I'd create a new thread. The official MVC Polls are also being released tomorrow.

Media Day will be broadcast live tomorrow on ESPN3.
https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/921437972381265920
https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/921447660174872578

If you have any questions you want asked at Media Day, tweet at Paul or let me know and I'll tweet out the question for you.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/922540547608403976

VU2014

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

underdawg

Valpo picked sixth, SIU fifth--both will finish higher

1. MSU    2. UNI ??????   3. Loyola   4. Il state---------this poll is a joke :lol:

VU2014

Quote from: underdawg on October 24, 2017, 09:42:48 AM
Valpo picked sixth, SIU fifth--both will finish higher

1. MSU    2. UNI ??????   3. Loyola   4. Il state---------this poll is a joke :lol:

Yeah the UNI at #2 surprised me. Their coming off a down year and they lost their best player.

I think UNI will be a good and competitive team but I don't think they'll finish 2nd. I'm thinking this vote has to do with reputation and respect for their coaching staff and past success.

I sort of get the sense that the media expects UNI to become the next power program in the MVC now that WSU and CU are gone.

talksalot

We do have a history of not finishing lower than the pre-season poll... Hope that keeps up !

valpopal

I agree with Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson. Why not add Murray State for next year to create a 20-game conference schedule?

After failing to get a 28-win Illinois State team in the field at-large a season ago, Hinson says bigger changes need to come if the MVC hopes to avoid becoming a perennial one-bid league."We know where this is headed. We're going to have to expand," Hinson said. "We're going to have to go to 20 conference games. I don't know who that is. I don't know what the best fit is. (But) if we could ever get to that point, then this league would be right back where we have been over the years."

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on October 24, 2017, 09:31:51 PM
I agree with Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson. Why not add Murray State for next year to create a 20-game conference schedule?

After failing to get a 28-win Illinois State team in the field at-large a season ago, Hinson says bigger changes need to come if the MVC hopes to avoid becoming a perennial one-bid league."We know where this is headed. We're going to have to expand," Hinson said. "We're going to have to go to 20 conference games. I don't know who that is. I don't know what the best fit is. (But) if we could ever get to that point, then this league would be right back where we have been over the years."

It's interesting hearing Hinson of all people suggesting the league should go to a 20 game conference season to help the league get at-large bids.

Hinson has built a reputation around the league for scheduling cupcakes in the non-conference, which hurts the rest of the league. (his schedule this season isn't that bad, imo) I'm not opposed to going to 20 games but more then anything I want to see Non-Conference Scheduling Standards to prevent too many cupcakes being on teams schedules. Coaches need to do whats right for the whole league and not try and preserve their jobs. Paul Lusk at Missouri State did the exact same thing this season with their non-conference schedule. It's a pretty pathetic Non-Con for as much talent and expectations that are on that team. I know I've heard MVC fans voice the same complaints about Marty Simmons at Evansville. Coaches often times don't always do the right thing for the program or the Conference.

FWalum

In the interview I loved the inflection in Matt's voice when he said several times, "we are Very talented".  Perhaps the biggest revelation, as far as the new players, is that Linssen had 14 points and 13 rebounds in the intra-squad game!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on October 25, 2017, 08:44:03 AM
In the interview I loved the inflection in Matt's voice when he said several times, "we are Very talented". Perhaps the biggest revelation, as far as the new players, is that Linssen had 14 points and 13 rebounds in the intra-squad game!

Definitely stood out and was exciting to hear! It sounds like he may be the most ready freshman on the team. All that international experience probably helps.

In every interview Matt mentions that we'll be a much different team by the end of the season then we will be at the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see the growth this young team makes throughout the season. Probably will be some ups and downs. I'm hoping we figures things out and find consistency by the time Conference play roles around.

VU2014

I don't have subscription to The Fieldhouse, but they wrote about the new MVC. If someone has a membership, would you recommend it? Is it worth it?

https://twitter.com/_Brian_Hamilton/status/923217567765942273

VUBBFan

I don't know if it was just being polite, but in the ESPN3 MVC Media day interviews, comments from other coaches and administrators were very positive towards Valpo. They seemed to have a lot of respect for Valpo and were pleased that we were selected to join the MVC. It's nice to be respected and wanted.

wh

I'm surprised to learn that Hinson spoke positively about adding 1 team to enable having a 20-game conference schedule. I vividly recall several Valpo and Murray State fans (myself included) pulling for both teams to be added, and citing a 20-game schedule as one of the benefits. After only Valpo was added I recall Elgin stating that going to 11 teams was never seriously contemplated - that an odd number was unworkable from a scheduling standpoint.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on October 25, 2017, 02:22:45 PM

I'm surprised to learn that he talked positively about 1 team to enable having a 20-game conference schedule. I vividly recall several Valpo and Murray State fans (myself included) pulling for both teams to be added, and citing a 20-game schedule as one of the benefits. After only Valpo was added I also recall Elgin stating that 11 teams was never seriously contemplated - that an odd number was unworkable from a scheduling standpoint.

I think 11 is doable but logistically not ideal, especially for the non-basketball sports that use travel partners. The Presidents and Doug Elgin have public stated it was a non-starter but they've been more open to change since the significant realignment has occurred in college sports.

I'd prefer going to just 11 over going to 12 if the 12th member is sub-par or not an obvious good member. As of right now the most likely 12th would be someone from the Horizon League, either UWM or NKU. Neither are ideal, imo. You also have to consider some of the Private schools will likely want to only add a 12th if its a private school.

0:50-1:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDZJ1pwPh0&list=UUNSN22co3K2fX-B5w4nVOOA&index=62

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on October 25, 2017, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: wh on October 25, 2017, 02:22:45 PM

I'm surprised to learn that he talked positively about 1 team to enable having a 20-game conference schedule. I vividly recall several Valpo and Murray State fans (myself included) pulling for both teams to be added, and citing a 20-game schedule as one of the benefits. After only Valpo was added I also recall Elgin stating that 11 teams was never seriously contemplated - that an odd number was unworkable from a scheduling standpoint.

I think 11 is doable but logistically not ideal, especially for the non-basketball sports that use travel partners. The Presidents and Doug Elgin have public stated it was a non-starter but they've been more open to change since the significant realignment has occurred in college sports.

I'd prefer going to just 11 over going to 12 if the 12th member is sub-par or not an obvious good member. As of right now the most likely 12th would be someone from the Horizon League, either UWM or NKU. Neither are ideal, imo. You also have to consider some of the Private schools will likely want to only add a 12th if its a private school.

0:50-1:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDZJ1pwPh0&list=UUNSN22co3K2fX-B5w4nVOOA&index=62

Milwaukee remains a dumpster fire until such time their men's bb program gets back on track - and (and this is no small "and") is able to sustain a level of success for more than a year or two. Don't underestimate the ability of an arrogant, in-over-her-head, politically correct AD appointee hired to demonstrate the university's level of inclusiveness and sensivity to further damage the men's bb program.

oklahomamick

There will be a lot of change in 2 years when the Big12 Tv rights expire. 

Regardless of what happens, this would would be my order of pick.  Murray St. UWM, St. Louis.  SLU would jump to the front and be my first pick if the tourney was held in Chicago. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on October 27, 2017, 08:53:03 AM
There will be a lot of change in 2 years when the Big12 Tv rights expire. 

Regardless of what happens, this would would be my order of pick.  Murray St. UWM, St. Louis.  SLU would jump to the front and be my first pick if the tourney was held in Chicago. 

The Big 12 does seem like the most likely Power Conference to break apart which would literally cause a massive domino affect of conference realignment that would be felt all the way from the top to the bottom. I'm still not sure it would fall.

My preferred MVC adds in order:
-SLU
-Belmont
-Murray State
(a steep drop off)
-UWM (they need to show they can be a top team in the Horizon League before getting invited. I am not a fan of their Chancellor or AD, but I do like having a team from Milwaukee in the Conference because it engages our sizable alumni base up in Wisconsin.)

oklahomamick

Yes, the big 12 will break up and its going to change athletic conference from top to bottom.  However, they will not break up before the tv contracts are up.  There is simply too much money for each school right now....

I forgot about Belmont.  I don't know if adding two private schools in SLU and Belmont will be ok with the others....
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

I'll take NKU or the Dakotas over UWM until further notice. That program has to prove it isn't terrible first.Enhanced prospect of multiple bids>>>> engaging alumni If we want to engage the alumni just play UWM  on the road every year in nonconference instead of D2 schools or Chicago State It's still a winnable game but the opponent and experience is better. However any of the first three SLU Belmont and Murray State are absolute home runs and if they all three simultaneously expressed interest in joining then the Valley ought to consider a 14 team league model.

VU2014

SLU & Belmont seem unlikely as of right now. Murray State would crawl from Murray, Kentucky to St. Louis for a invite and they are an obvious add if they can find a strong 12th.

Dakotas seem unlikely because you need to invite 2 Dakota school to make them a realistic add. I understand the NKU suggestion but part of me personally don't want them to get a invite because they haven't "earned" it. It would bother me if a school who has been D1 for just a few years gets a invite while Valpo really earned it. We fought our way out of the Mid-Con to earn a invite into the Horizon League and we had to be the premier program in the HL for the 5-6yrs to earn a invite. It just wouldn't sit well with me as a fan, because they didn't have to pay their dues if you get where I'm coming from. Just my opinion. At the end of the day I want the best basketball programs to build a multi-bid league.

VUGrad1314

I understand your feelings concerning NKU and earning it I really do but I really believe that they are in the beginning stages of becoming an EXTREMELY good program across the board in multiple sports plus it brings in the Cincinnati market and makes the MVC the  premier mid-major league in the state of Kentucky I just think that projecting forward both Murray State and NKU have serious potential to become leading members of the MVC and those are the kind of schools we need to be adding