• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Chicago State Charity Exhibition Saturday, Nov 4 at 3pm @ Jones Center

Started by VU2014, October 25, 2017, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Not exactly a B10 opponent. But, benefiting Lutheran World Relief, that's good!

vu84v2

If your intention is to raise money for hurricane relief, I would think that charging an admission fee ($10?) and then accepting donations would be the way to go. Regardless, I doubt many would attend because there is no interest in or around Chicago State (other than the need for the university to be either shut down or made part of UIC).

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 25, 2017, 05:55:41 PM
If your intention is to raise money for hurricane relief, I would think that charging an admission fee ($10?) and then accepting donations would be the way to go. Regardless, I doubt many would attend because there is no interest in or around Chicago State (other than the need for the university to be either shut down or made part of UIC).
Quote from: vu84v2 on October 25, 2017, 05:55:41 PM

You're right, no doubt about it. That said, I will be there and drag some people with me. Anytime young people are doing something to make a difference, they need to be supported. I hope a lot of fellow Crusader enthusiasts in Chicagoland will consider doing the same. Besides, there's nothing bad about getting a chance to preview what could be a very exciting Crusader team.

VU75

Other Hurricane relief games in MVC

Bradley- Lewis
Indiana State-Purdue
Missouri State-Kansas State
Northern Iowa-Wisconsin

bbtds

Quote from: wh on October 25, 2017, 09:02:28 PMYou're right, no doubt about it. That said, I will be there and drag some people with me. Anytime young people are doing something to make a difference, they need to be supported. I hope a lot of fellow Crusader enthusiasts in Chicagoland will consider doing the same. Besides, there's nothing bad about getting a chance to preview what could be a very exciting Crusader team.

As a matter of fact I'll be traveling back through Chicago from a trip starting in Fond du lac then stops in Milwaukee, Kenosha and Waukegan. If my day goes as planned on Friday & Saturday I can be on the south side of Chicago by 3:00 p.m. Central time (with a time change that overnight for an extra hour of sleep on Sunday morning). I'll most likely be at the game.

VU2014

A good article on Joe Burton who is a Houston native.

https://twitter.com/PostTribSports/status/926597588526206978

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-joe-burton-st-1104-20171103-story.html

Valparaiso's hurricane relief game hits home for Houston's Joe Burton
By: Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune
November 3, 2017

valpopal

Why wasn't this game scheduled at Valparaiso? The attendance and contributions to charity most likely would have been magnified ten-fold. In addition, broadcast media surely would have been better.

[tweet]926900491728097280[/tweet]

vu84v2

Quote from: valpopal on November 04, 2017, 03:26:19 PM

Why wasn't this game scheduled at Valparaiso? The attendance and contributions to charity most likely would have been magnified ten-fold. In addition, broadcast media surely would have been better.

Frankly, while I am sure that Valparaiso is serious about wanting to do something for hurricane relief, partnering with Chicago State on this (or anything) is a serious mistake. There is no reason why that university should not be shut down or merged with the University of Illinois system (and thus placed under entirely new management). Expecting anything from anyone at that university is completely unrealistic. A game at Valpo with a local non-D1 opponent would have been better and raised more money, with any game against a D1 school being even better.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 04, 2017, 04:03:28 PM

Frankly, while I am sure that Valparaiso is serious about wanting to do something for hurricane relief, partnering with Chicago State on this (or anything) is a serious mistake. There is no reason why that university should not be shut down or merged with the University of Illinois system (and thus placed under entirely new management). Expecting anything from anyone at that university is completely unrealistic. A game at Valpo with a local non-D1 opponent would have been better and raised more money, with any game against a D1 school being even better.

It's a bonus exhibition game gents, let's get off our high horse and get in some reps!

VU2014

valpopal

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 04, 2017, 04:09:10 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on November 04, 2017, 04:03:28 PM

It's a bonus exhibition game gents, let's get off our high horse and get in some reps!

Yes, it is a charity exhibition game; and anyone could have predicted that both the "charity" and the "exhibition" would have been greatly benefitted by scheduling the game at Valpo.

vu72

The whole Chicago State thing is a mistake.  They are on death's door, just try to check the live stat page. Pretty pathetic.  Missed the end, presume we won by about 20.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on November 04, 2017, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 04, 2017, 05:42:37 PM
Game stats anywhere?

http://www.sidearmstats.com/csu/mbball/

Thanks!  (13) turnovers by our guards, yikes.

McMillan 3/4 FG for 8 pts 6 reb in 16-minutes.  Might get some very efficient minutes from him....unexpected as a freshmen?

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 04, 2017, 06:24:00 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 04, 2017, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 04, 2017, 05:42:37 PM
Game stats anywhere?

http://www.sidearmstats.com/csu/mbball/

Thanks!  (13) turnovers by our guards, yikes.

McMillan 3/4 FG for 8 pts 6 reb in 16-minutes.  Might get some very efficient minutes from him....unexpected as a freshmen?

I think the more impressive stat is that we were not hitting from the outside, made the adjustment, and killed them on the inside.  Do what is necessary to win, and big!

VUSWIM08-12

Held them to 15 points in the 2nd half, reminds me of the St Marys game when we held the Gaels to 13!! Gaels were obviously quite a bit better, but holding any team under 20 points in a half is a win in my book!

Valpower

Quote from: valpopal on November 04, 2017, 04:25:37 PM
Yes, it is a charity exhibition game; and anyone could have predicted that both the "charity" and the "exhibition" would have been greatly benefitted by scheduling the game at Valpo.
I get the sense that this was cobbled together at the last minute because of the CSU and Valpo Dildy connection, the proximity of the two schools, the mutual availability of a time slot, and the desire on both teams' parts to get some extra playing time. Those of you quibbling about how it could have been better, must be assuming quite a few more options existed.  Maybe there were.

My feeling is that, as long as it was Chicago State, it might as well have been played in Chicago to give a chance for Chicago Valpo alums to attend a more local game. If it fell short in attendance goals, it was partly due to the lack of marketing. Maybe it would have been better-attended in Valparaiso, but even then, if there was no other opponent available other than CSU, I don't know how much better.  Either way, there's a lot of gnashing of teeth over something as inconsequential as this.

Chairback

I was able to attend today's game.  I think it was great to play an exhibition game on the road vs a D1 school even if it was Chicago State.  They are better competition than many of our non-conf home games so we should be happy.  ML should be embarrassed with our home non-conf schedule.  As a fan I am.  I was impressed with their arena.  I didn't realize how much of an dump the ARC is after seeing Chi-State's place.  They don't have in game issues like we have every game like scoreboard not fully working, shot clock disconnects, can't hear the PA announcer, horrible seating and 80's court lighting.

I really like our new team.  Bakari is a major upgrade over Lexus.  Golder is going to be really really good for us.  With a little more experience he's going to be tough.  I'm not sure we have ever had a more athletic player at Vu.  I would play Marten over Smits as he is more physical and can score.  Smits just doesn't look comfortable out there.  Max had a bad game today and just made bad passes and forced wild drives to the basket.  Burton looks really good also.  After a few games under his belt he will be hard to stop offensively.  He does get lazy on D.  Hazen doesn't look like a freshman and I predict as a senior will be a first team all MVC.

The one player who I think is going to be a major steal is Mileek.  I really like this kid.  I would take him over Jabril in a heartbeat.  He is very long and can shoot and has very good moves down low.  He hustles all the time.  I think he will get pushed around a little this season in conf but Matt got a good one.

I've seen this team play twice now and it's a much different style than in the past.  It's very exciting and hopefully NWI fans will come out and see them.  Very fun team to watch.

wh

Take this for what it's worth after 2 meaningless exhibition games, but I've been following Valpo bb since the early '90's and have never seen a Valpo team with this level of talent, athleticism, team speed, and depth. How raw talent translates into wins and losses remains to be seen, but I will say this. I can't imagine anyone else in the MVC is at a higher level.

vu84v2

Quote from: VU2014 on November 04, 2017, 07:41:20 PM
https://twitter.com/ChicagoStateMBB/status/926955816820838401

Over $1000?  Wow!

Of course, Marquette played UWM for the same cause and raised over $30,000, not to mention that Kansas played Missouri and raised $2M. If it had been played at Valpo against anybody, it would have easily raised at least $10,000 and still would have the benefit of the extra practice game.

VU2014

Quote from: Chairback on November 04, 2017, 08:21:13 PM
I was able to attend today's game.  I think it was great to play an exhibition game on the road vs a D1 school even if it was Chicago State.  They are better competition than many of our non-conf home games so we should be happy.

Agreed, its good to get as much extra playing time for these guys as possible even if its against a low level D1 team.

ML should be embarrassed with our home non-conf schedule.  As a fan I am.

I don't think home Non-Conference schedule is great but it's not awful either. There are no "name brand" opponents during the Non-Con at the ARC this year, but there are good Mid-Major teams visiting in the ARC: Samford, Southeastern Louisiana (isn't a big name but solid opponent), & Utah State is solid Mountain West opponent. I wouldn't call it embarrassing. Just not good or deep enough. It's disappointing only has only 3 good non-conference home games, imo. Luckily we have the Northwestern, Purdue and Ball State games that aren't too far of a drive.

I was impressed with their arena.  I didn't realize how much of an dump the ARC is after seeing Chi-State's place.  They don't have in game issues like we have every game like scoreboard not fully working, shot clock disconnects, can't hear the PA announcer, horrible seating and 80's court lighting.

It may be a dump but it's our dump. The ARC is seriously overdue for a big facelift but the ARC has a certain charm about it. But I've been to Chicago State's arena in the past and its pretty nice. There isn't a bad seat in that building and if they could ever fill that thing up it would be a serious home court advantage because the fans are literally on top of the court.

We won't get renovations at the ARC till the leadership at the very top of the University allows it and thinks its a worthy cause to fundraise for. Until that day comes they'll just continue to give the Athletics Department just enough resources to maintain the status quo.

It's really good to hear Bakari is a floor general type. PO mentioned that he could be Buggs with a jump shot on his podcast. That is a lethal combination.

Linssen I heard got knocked out of the game early on for a possible concussion? But then he came back in at the very end of the game. I'm high on Linssen. He may not be the most fleet of foot but he has nice foot work around the paint and he has that mid-range game. The coaches have also mentioned he's a relentless rebounder.

Golder is a really exciting player! He's not only athletic with size but he can also shoot the 3 from the sound of it. Although I did see some people question his shot selection, but I didn't see this game so I no clue if he had questionable shot selection or not. Regardless exciting.

How'd Sorolla and Smits look? I didn't watch this game but he looked a little better against RMU, imo. The big guys usually take the longest to fully develop.

I heard Hazen hit a 3 today. If Hazen could add a consistent outside shot with his size and athletic ability he could turn into a special player. Agreed he didn't look like a freshman at least in his first game.

Mileek sounded like he had a good game today. His first game he definitely had freshman moments but he is so athletic for his size and he a really nice looking 3 point shot. If he could give Valpo good minutes this year in Conference play that would be a great sign. Another exciting player. Apparently he's still growing too which is crazy. Paul mentioned in his podcast that the coaches said he grew an inch this summer.

As for the team as a whole: It sounded like we were a little sloppy with the turnovers and the Free Throw shooting has been poor from this team the first two games. The lower FT% have been uncharacteristic of recent past Valpo Teams. Valpo was 5th in the nation last year.

VU2014

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 04, 2017, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 04, 2017, 07:41:20 PM
https://twitter.com/ChicagoStateMBB/status/926955816820838401

Over $1000?  Wow!

Of course, Marquette played UWM for the same cause and raised over $30,000, not to mention that Kansas played Missouri and raised $2M. If it had been played at Valpo against anybody, it would have easily raised at least $10,000 and still would have the benefit of the extra practice game.

It's hard to compare the Valpo vs Chicago State to Marquette vs UWM & Kansas vs Missouri. Those are massive schools and those LEGIT rivalry matchups. We were playing CSU which is a program that may not continue to be D1 a few years from now. From the periscope it look like mostly VU fans showed up. It wasn't well publicized and thrown together last second against an opponent Valpo has literally destroyed many times in recent history. There is almost apathy against playing them amongst our fan-base. It is what it is. Moving on to season opener against North Park on Nov 10.