• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Video Up and Running!

Started by vu72, October 27, 2017, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Just looked at the Valpo athletic site and apparently video is now ready to go as tonight's home Volleyball and tomorrow's home football game both have video links!!  It will be great to see football again!   :thewave:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

That's great news and it makes for an easier decision about a 4.5 hour drive down to Valpo if the weather is gonna be rotten.

FWalum

Can't wait to watch! Hope it is as good as the other MVC broadcasts I have viewed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on October 27, 2017, 09:22:28 AM
Can't wait to watch! Hope it is as good as the other MVC broadcasts I have viewed.

When I was at Homecoming Mark L told me it would included instant replay and in HD.  Should be much better than the Horizon League level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on October 27, 2017, 08:07:53 AMJust looked at the Valpo athletic site and apparently video is now ready to go as tonight's home Volleyball and tomorrow's home football game both have video links!!  It will be great to see football again!   :thewave:

Great. Just great! >:( >:(

Now I have to toss my well prepared "why can't we have video like the rest of the PFL?" post! :'( :'( :'(

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2017, 09:02:09 AM
That's great news and it makes for an easier decision about a 4.5 hour drive down to Valpo if the weather is gonna be rotten.

43 degrees but dry? That doesn't sound like such bad weather for football, but maybe a little chilly for fans.

Last night was fantastic weather for watching soccer; great weather for a soccer scarf and a jacket. Cold enough that gloves helped but weren't mandatory.

(At 43 I'll confess that I'd be tempted to go full winter as a fan: snow pants, hat, gloves. I will have to decide what to wear to _play_ soccer in tomorrow. Too warm for long-sleeve thermal? Too cold for short-sleeved uniform top alone? Light gloves? Tricky.)

VULB#62

The athletic department release below tells the whole story.  This was a major investment by the university, and when you read about what is coming on line, people will understand why it took as long as it did.  CAVEAT:  This is all new.  Like any kind of new technology and despite testing,  THERE WILL BE BUGS.  Be patient.

Valpo Athletics to Begin Streaming to The Valley on ESPN3 This Weekend
Friday, October 27, 2017

The Valparaiso University athletic department will be streaming live on The Valley on ESPN3 for the first time this weekend following the completed build of the brand-new production control room. The first Valpo production on The Valley on ESPN3 comes this evening from the ARC, as the Crusader volleyball team hosts Loyola at 7 p.m.

The build required a complete overhaul of the department's previous streaming infrastructure to meet the quality standards of The Valley and ESPN3. The process began shortly after Valparaiso University accepted the invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference and wrapped up this week. All-new production equipment, monitors, cameras, replay capabilities and more were invested in and installed to raise the quality of the productions emanating from Valpo.

The upgrades allow all productions to be run through one master control room inside the ARC. Immediate streaming capabilities include events from the ARC and Brown Field, with plans to expand to the Valpo Softball Complex and Emory G. Bauer Field.

vu72

I'm watching the Volleyball match and so far, smooth sailing!  Great video work and commentary by a student play-by-play announcer (Peyton Ball) and Renee Turpa (sp?) doing the color.  Very good crowd and good sized pep band as well!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

talksalot

Valpo undefeated with the new equipment, sweeps Loyola 3_0

VULB#62

Is there some sort of archive that I can go to afterwards to watch matches/ games I could not see live?

Brandon

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2017, 10:08:12 PMIs there some sort of archive that I can go to afterwards to watch matches/ games I could not see live?

All of the ESPN3 broadcasts are archived at the event's completion - here's this one: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3205535

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2017, 10:08:12 PM
Is there some sort of archive that I can go to afterwards to watch matches/ games I could not see live?

Go to Watch espn on your computer, you will have to have a subscription via your cable provider, and click on the replay area.  Our game tonight is listed.

valpopal

Since the new video has been working, the volleyball team won their match in three straight sets and the football team beats Morehead State for the first time in ten years, 63-32. Maybe we should have installed the upgrade long ago! Seriously, I watched both events and thought the quality was very good, even streamed on my big screen television. Plus, I like the frequent use of replays. Two thumbs up!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on October 28, 2017, 05:39:43 PM
Since the new video has been working, the volleyball team won their match in three straight sets and the football team beats Morehead State for the first time in ten years, 63-32. Maybe we should have installed the upgrade long ago! Seriously, I watched both events and thought the quality was very good, even streamed on my big screen television. Plus, I like the frequent use of replays. Two thumbs up!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good to hear, any sound quality difference?  Or was that not included in the upgrade?

The story on the VU site lists "replay" as being available now.  I'm assuming this takes a skilled hand to make this feature work?  Is this done by an intern (college kid) or is this automated....done by a professional?  Have any of these questions been answered in viewing the Volleyball or Football stream?

Appreciate anyone's input here, I'm not well versed on what it takes to put together a good broadcast.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 28, 2017, 05:44:59 PM
Quote from: valpopal on October 28, 2017, 05:39:43 PM

Good to hear, any sound quality difference?  Or was that not included in the upgrade?

The story on the VU site lists "replay" as being available now.  I'm assuming this takes a skilled hand to make this feature work?  Is this done by an intern (college kid) or is this automated....done by a professional?  Have any of these questions been answered in viewing the Volleyball or Football stream?

Appreciate anyone's input here, I'm not well versed on what it takes to put together a good broadcast.

I had the opportunity to be shown the new video control room by MLB during half time of the Morehead game. Where there use to be two people working the old video system, there are now six in a dedicated facility located behind the wall where the ARC concession stand is located. It is still a physical work in progress, but it is operational enough to be used this weekend. The VU Communications department is collaborating with the Athletic department and actually expanding their curriculum to offer for-credit studies in this technology.  The bids for all of the new hardware and software went out right after Valpo formally signed on with the MVC and the building of the system took almost 3 months of full time work by a video consulting team.  Valpo has hired an additional F/T staffer just for this. The price tag, in case anyone is interested or questions Valpo's immediate short-term commitment to athletics, is over $600,000. Mark was beaming the whole time he was describing the setup and process.