• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Basketball Broadcasts - 2017-18

Started by aleavitt, November 01, 2017, 09:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleavitt

Posted a brief story to the Athletics website regarding this earlier, but wanted to make sure everyone on here saw it as well regarding this year's plans with broadcasts:

- For home MBB games not on TV, Todd and Dave will be on ESPN3 only, and student broadcasters will be on the radio call (per the Valley's agreement with ESPN, the ESPN3 call is not allowed to be used on radio as well).
- For home MBB games on TV, Todd and Dave will be on radio; for road MBB games, Todd and either Dave or myself will be on radio.
- For home WBB games, either Todd or Dave will be on play-by-play on ESPN3, with either Renee' Turpa or Jamie (Gutowski) Stangel joining them as analysts. Student broadcasters will be on the radio call. For road games, student broadcasters will continue to be joined by Brandon on the radio.

With all the other production improvements, this should help enhance our MBB broadcasts on ESPN3, as Todd will no longer be handling radio production duties simultaneously. In addition, the WBB broadcasts will feature experienced talent as well.

agibson

Quote from: aleavitt on November 01, 2017, 09:22:41 PMFor home MBB games not on TV, Todd and Dave will be on ESPN3 only, and student broadcasters will be on the radio call (per the Valley's agreement with ESPN, the ESPN3 call is not allowed to be used on radio as well).

Fascinating.

All-in-all, sounds pretty good! The video quality so far has been stunning.

VU2014

Not only the video quality but audio sounds much better from the other sports games i've seen with the new equipment.  :thumbsup:

valpospartan

One problem I have is that we won't have Todd on the post game show, for the ride home after home games.

VU2014

It seems like there has been a few technical issues with broadcasts the last few days. The Volleyball game wasn't broadcast yesterday. Hopefully these issues get cleared up by opening night on Friday, Nov 10.
https://twitter.com/BRADLEYvolley/status/926947174608498689

agibson

Quote from: valpospartan on November 02, 2017, 11:02:05 PM

One problem I have is that we won't have Todd on the post game show, for the ride home after home games.

Yeah, after some reflection, this occurred to me too. I think these usually weren't carried on ESPN3 anyway, with the feed often picking up right before the tip, and ending very shortly after the final horn.

Aaron, will it be possible for Todd to hop on WVUR for the pre-game and post-game interviews, and other such content? These were appointment listening! If stuck at home I'd regularly run to the radio after the ESPN3 feed ended. When at games, we'd stream it as we walked to the car, or hustle to the car to get there in time for the interview.

And, along with the downfall (several years in the making) of the VU Sports Radio Network, this has to be at least a minor blow to the Valparaiso area and VU Athletics attempts to build connections with the local community. Todd is a first-class broadcaster and it's a shame if some will miss out.

covufan

Quote from: agibson on November 06, 2017, 03:53:36 PMTodd is a first-class broadcaster

Yes.  And a pleasure to listen to doing either football or basketball. 

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on November 07, 2017, 11:49:06 AM
I assume there is no pre or post game analysis on ESPN 3?

I'm not sure. I know the student's will still call the game on WVUR for those games and maybe they'll try and do pre/post game show & interview the coaches after the game. It's a bummer Todd won't be do the pre/post.

4throwfan

Really enjoy(ed) Todd's post-game comments and interview with Coach Gore.  Usually missed the pre-game since we were walking to the ARC from remote lots during home games.

Wondering if there is something preventing the students from doing a pre/post game show?  In other words, could they do that if they wanted to do so?  Seems that it would be good experience for them, and I wouldn't mind listening to the students, especially after an exciting victory.  Wonder if Coach Gore enjoys the post-game interview?  We he be up for helping the students out? 

VULB#62

The more exposure the better.

And, BTW, thanks for validating the remote parking situation. Need more paking closer.

VU2014

Todd and Dave will be ESPN3 and the students will be on WVUR for tonights home opener.
https://twitter.com/paytonball98/status/929108166985617408

VU2014

I listened to the post-game show. Todd joined the student broadcasters on WVUR after the TV broadcast and talked with Coach Gore after the game! Greatly appreciated having Todd join the students on the post-game.

VU2014

I wonder if this will affect the ESPN3 broadcasts for the MVC. A lot of ESPN3's content will now be behind a paywall.

https://twitter.com/espnmikes/status/980825005364858880

NativeCheesehead

My guess is this is for the full on cord cutters. Seems those with a ESPN subscription would still have access to the ESPN3 content.