• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso High School principal abruptly resigns

Started by VU2014, November 06, 2017, 03:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I don't live in the Valparaiso Community anymore but I alway keep track of whats happening with Valparaiso and I follow Paul Oren on twitter who reports on a lot the prep sports in the region.

I know we have some VHS alums on this board. Apparently the Principal very suddenly resigned. I know VHS has really had a rough couple weeks with the turmoil of the very controversial firing of their very successful Football Coach. I have friends who were VHS Football alumni who were furious with the administration and a few of the players for threatening a "walk-out" because the head coach chewed out a kid in front of the team for breaking team rules.

I wonder if that was part of the reason for his resignation but a mid-school year resignation seems very odd and makes you wonder. I thought I'd pass it along.

https://twitter.com/nwi/status/927566586843680768

VULB#62

Being a teacher or an administrator in America's public school systems today can be a very thankless job.  Teachers are handcuffed with how they can interact with students.  Administrators are held to legal standards that hobble them continually.  Parents today are 180 degrees away from parents of years ago who punished their kids a second time if they received a punishment in school. Today, principlas get death threats. That's the reason I got out decades ago and went into the business world.  Can't blame the dude.  I have a sign in my home office.  It reads:  "I don't need this s#$%@" 

Good for him.

VU2014

Teachers & Administrators put up with a lot of crap. My sister is a secondary teacher and she has some crazy stories of helicopter parents. One my her student's parents threatened to sue the school because his kid wasn't turning in his homework and she gave him a zero on those assignments.  :crazy: It's crazy how so many parents always think their kids can "do no wrong" and its always the teachers fault when in reality the students aren't put in the work.

M

My oldest son is friends with his son...my youngest son's teacher is the former football coach's wife.  There have been some interesting questions asked the last few weeks.

covufan

Quote from: M on November 09, 2017, 08:19:24 AM
My oldest son is friends with his son...my youngest son's teacher is the former football coach's wife.  There have been some interesting questions asked the last few weeks.
I understand privacy rights for those involved, especially if HIPAA is play.  However, the public also has a right to know where and how their tax dollars are being used.  Not sure we'll know much of how this plays out.

M

I would be beyond shocked if anything new came out about either guy and their sudden departures.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/NWINews/status/931606232418471940

Residents grill Valparaiso School Board for their handling of coach and principal resignations
Deborah Laverty Times correspondent

VALPARAISO — Resident Brian Williams took Valparaiso Community Schools to task for their handling of two recent personnel resignations.

Those resignations included Valparaiso High School Principal Reid Amones and the school's football coach, Dave Coyle.

Williams, who spoke at the end of Thursday's School Board meeting, said he advised officials to at least issue a statement when it comes to resignations of personnel of such a magnitude.

"The high school football coach and the high school principal are of citywide interest. ... I realize there is a privacy issue, but simply make an announcement, then say you can't say anything. These are community schools, and you should show the community some respect," Williams said.

............ http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/residents-grill-valparaiso-school-board-for-their-handling-of-coach/article_93c5e0d1-f381-5ee7-8ac2-953dcdb51ef4.html

talksalot

So I guess the author would rather have the administration violate Federal Law to appease his curiosity.