• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #3 - @ Southern Illinois Univ-E'ville Cougars 11/15/17 7pm - FoxSports MW

Started by talksalot, November 11, 2017, 07:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 15, 2017, 01:02:34 PMThey schedule the game on a Wednesday night at 7:00 PM with an alumni dinner from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM in Edwardsville. Valpo alumni would likely live in the western suburbs (38 miles) or the Saint Charles area (36 miles) - not an easy drive on a weeknight and many would think twice about driving it for such a weak opponent.

I know it's not optimal for the majority of Valpo alumni in the St Louis area but I have always enjoyed myself at the smaller more intimate dinners where I'm forced to meet people where I normally might not have talked to certain people. I've always enjoyed every alumni gathering no matter where and when they took place. Granted the ones at the Mid-Con tourneys have been my favorite along with last year's Detroit tourney even though most of you hated it despite not being there. 

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on November 15, 2017, 01:43:34 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on November 15, 2017, 01:02:34 PMThey schedule the game on a Wednesday night at 7:00 PM with an alumni dinner from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM in Edwardsville. Valpo alumni would likely live in the western suburbs (38 miles) or the Saint Charles area (36 miles) - not an easy drive on a weeknight and many would think twice about driving it for such a weak opponent.

I know it's not optimal for the majority of Valpo alumni in the St Louis area but I have always enjoyed myself at the smaller more intimate dinners where I'm forced to meet people where I normally might not have talked to certain people. I've always enjoyed every alumni gathering no matter where and when they took place. Granted the ones at the Mid-Con tourneys have been my favorite along with last year's Detroit tourney even though most of you hated it despite not being there. 

Many Valpo fans were never going to embrace MCM because of the way the Horizon League took away the Home Court advantage from us by winning the Conf regular season and then calling it a Neutral Site while 2 team had a quasi home court advantage. They never would have done that too Butler while they were in the Conf. That's all in the past now but to say the least I'm glad we're not going to be in that Conference Tournament anymore.

I'm pumped to make the trip to Arch Madness this season. The St. Louis based alumni are getting spoiled this year with this game and Arch Madness.

M

I wouldn't want to play at a upset minded team's court on a weekend when they will have all their students/fans there.

VU2014

Prediction:
Valpo 75
SIUE 66

Let's limit their second chance attempts and control the boards.
https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/930856656493301761

AranJacobs

If you download the Fox Sports GO app on your smartphone or tablet (it might be available on the computer too but I am not sure) and log in with your TV Provider username and password you will be able to watch it on that device. If you have an apple TV you will then be able to air play that from your phone to your apple tv and watch it on the tv. Otherwise you will have to watch it on another device. What I did was I downloaded the FOX Sports Go app on my Xbox One and am able to watch it right there on the TV screen. Hope I helped somebody!

VU2014

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: AranJacobs on November 15, 2017, 05:17:01 PM
If you download the Fox Sports GO app on your smartphone or tablet (it might be available on the computer too but I am not sure) and log in with your TV Provider username and password you will be able to watch it on that device. If you have an apple TV you will then be able to air play that from your phone to your apple tv and watch it on the tv. Otherwise you will have to watch it on another device. What I did was I downloaded the FOX Sports Go app on my Xbox One and am able to watch it right there on the TV screen. Hope I helped somebody!

Thanks, I also just downloaded the app on my phone and Xbox One.  Can see the game on the screen now, once logged in of course.

I predict a dog fight, hope it is so we can develope "go-to" scorers early.  As much as Tevonn is our #1 guy, his game seems destined to excel where he picks his battles.  We shouldn't expect him to force offense because he might shoot low % since he's not a pure scorer.

Hoping that our pure scorers begin their unveiling tonight!!!

agibson

[tweet]930953708933918720[/tweet]

Apparently free.

No idea of the relative quality.

wh

If anyone in the world besides me has Mediacom, the game is on Fox College Sports Atlantic, Channel 172. You have to buy their sports package to get it, but it's inexpensive and one simple phone call away.

agibson

Anyone having luck with the OVC link? Fox Sports Atlantic streaming looks like it may have black bars on screen (narrow screen), while the OVC looks like wide screen, but maybe not the right game? Showing something archived instead?

a3uge

Fox Sports Go seems to work - sort of. It seems to have a hard time staying connected.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on November 15, 2017, 07:03:02 PM
Fox Sports Go seems to work - sort of. It seems to have a hard time staying connected.

Are you getting a full, wide screen?

OVC has that... But no sound?! And very odd camera angle.

My Fox stream is steady, but kind of low res, audio quality's also not great. Black bars on the sides. It'll do.

VU75

VU75

a3uge

Really lousy ending to the half, but overall can't be too upset about the effort so far. Burton has been really bad, not sure what his issue is tonight. Kiser came in and provided some solid minutes. Smits is still standing around watching the ball instead of boxing out. That sequence at 1:30 was not a good look for him.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on November 15, 2017, 07:57:39 PM
Really lousy ending to the half, but overall can't be too upset about the effort so far. Burton has been really bad, not sure what his issue is tonight. Kiser came in and provided some solid minutes. Smits is still standing around watching the ball instead of boxing out. That sequence at 1:30 was not a good look for him.

Our 7' centers = combined 2 rebounds at halftime.  Joking?

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 15, 2017, 08:04:57 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 15, 2017, 07:57:39 PM

Our 7' centers = combined 2 rebounds at halftime.  Joking?
Height doesn't matter if you don't box out.

valpolaw

Some thoughts after watching:

First, great win by a lot more than I think we were all anticipating, but then again SIU-e is picked to finish at the bottom of the OVC.

Our bigs still need some work. I think they'll struggle against better teams. They had several travels that shouldn't happen. Overall we had a lot more turnovers than we should have and will need to clean that up.

This team is really deep. We played 12 different people throughout the game. So many different weapons. Bakari and Markus are fun to watch. I recall bakari taking it to the hoop against three players at one point for a nice drive.

VULB#62

Its a 25 point win. Very good FG, 3FG, and FT %age figures. But we got outrebounded for the game. Fewer TOs than SIUE though.

VUCPB alum

Not a good game to get a better read on the team, the entire 2nd half was stop and go with the constant fouling so neither team could really sustain any flow offensively. What I could decipher is that our on ball defending has improved and we can score without having to rely on transition offense. I was surprised however with Joe's lack of involvement on the offense, with the exception of that stretch in the middle of the second half he didn't really touch the ball at all. I'm just hoping this is because he his trying to get back into the flow after not playing for over a year.

vu72

So I'm in Knoxville tonight and visited a local sports bar last night assure me that they would have the  game.  After an hour it was determined they that didn't have the game and that it was only a regional game.  Off to my hotel room.  So I look at the Valpo athletic site to see a link to video and then I have the game.  Why in the world did it take so long to link the game to a video site?

In any event, I would rather play Chicago State at home then a Sub-set of a sub-set on the road.  Great volleyball crowd as well.  :(

Our guys continue to play great.  It would be interesting to hear their coach describe the difference between playing us and playing Purdue.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

No surprising results thus far (which is good).  Would also like to voice my desire for less unforced turnovers.  Overall, hard to complain too much over a 25 point road win for a team that's still a bit raw. 

I only saw the second half, tough night for Hazen?  Box indicates so but he also looked rather dejected on the bench towards the end after McMillan's 3 and the the alley oop,  he was the only one who didn't react.  Maybe he's just intense, I don't know. 

I love when Linssen is in the game, dude just goes full tilt all the time!

Keep doing work, team!

valpotx

I know that Cory Johnson used to be called the same thing, but Linssen is the epitome of 'a bull in a china shop.'  That dude will be fun to watch in a few years, a la KVW.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Thought I'd give out some awards:

My 3 Stars

• Kiser - 7P, 1/2 3pt
  • Bakari - 14P/3R/7A in 22 min
  • Tevonn - 22P/4R/3A, 3/4 3pt, 7/10 FT, 0TO

Tevonn was rocking tonight and had some impressive Peters-like three pointers. Defensively he was stellar. Bakari really commanded the offense tonight and also did a good job on D. Kiser (Jake Diebler Jr) came in and helped Valpo to that 17-0 run. His stat line wasn't ground-breaking, but I thought he impacted the game.

3 Turds:

[?] Burton - 7P/3R/0A
    [?][?] Hazen - 0P/1R/0A, 0-0, 0-0, 0-0 in 12 min
    [?][?][?] McMillan - 3P/0R/1A, 5 fouls in 11 min

Burton was invisible until the game was already over in the 2nd half. What an athletic dunk though. Hazen, I'm not sure how much more  starter can continue to put up 0-0 games. The one time he did drive, he fell straight on his butt for a turnover. McMillan was bad on both ends. 5 fouls in 11 min.