• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

THE HELMET IS OURS!!!!!!

Started by vu72, November 11, 2017, 02:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Fantastic win for the program!!  Butler had 11 R-Srs and an addtional 5 Seniors on their roster.  After their very successful season, on Senior Day and their Senior's last game, all the sweeter!  The season is now a HUGE success!!

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Coach C a lock for Coach of the Year!!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

MY TWO FAVORITE THINGS.... Valpo wins and THEY lose... and all at the same time... SUUUWWWWEEEEET.

valpotx

I can't tell you how tempted I was to type 'Buck Futler' several times in the FB chat area while watching the game.  Pretty cool to see the former football players chiming in and watching.  Common sense took hold, however, and I will instead say it here :).  BUCK FUTLER forever!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

VULB#62

I thought I'd add some factual excitement about the football TEAM to the emotional high of beating the Bulldogs.

FROM BRANDON'S RECAP

The list of milestones the Valparaiso University football team reached with Saturday's victory is a lengthy one, but the day can easily be summarized in one sentence that has a nice ring to it: The Hoosier Helmet is coming back to Valparaiso.

:thumbsup: For the first time since 2014 and just the second time in the last decade, the Hoosier Helmet rivalry trophy belongs to the Crusaders.

:thumbsup: This was Valpo's first win at Butler since 2005.

:thumbsup: With its first points of the game, Valpo now owns its highest single-season point total since 2003. With their second score, the Crusaders reached 300 points in a single season for the fourth time in program history and just the second time since 1951.

:thumbsup: Valpo moved into the Top 5 in program history for total yards in a single season in the second quarter on Saturday. Valpo gained 356 yards of total offense on Saturday, boosting its season total to fifth in program history.

:thumbsup: The win allows the Crusaders to secure at least a .500 record in PFL play for the first time since 2003 and move within one win of their first winning season in 14 years.

:thumbsup: Valpo has won five games in a season for the first time since 2007 and ....

:thumbsup: Has four league wins in the same season for the first time since 1968.

BTW, check out Brandon's recap for another list of individual player performance highs.

usc4valpo

Coach C should be Pioneer coach of the year.

zvillehaze

Congrats on the win.  It got a little interesting in the 4th Q, but the Valpo offense was clutch when it had to be. 

IndyValpo

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 12, 2017, 10:16:26 AM

Congrats on the win.  It got a little interesting in the 4th Q, but the Valpo offense was clutch when it had to be. 
Completely agree, we seemed to be in control most of the game but never enough to relax.

As someone who was there in Carlson's last game and watched us give up 72 to Butler this was enjoyable!

Hopefully the Hoosier Helmet game continues to grow in stature.    I have been to the Monon Bell game a few times and those campuses are alive for those games.

Here is another Indiana rivalry  I did not know about.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/11/11/doyel-victory-bell-keeps-breaking-but-franklin-streak-over-hanover-doesnt/854970001/

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2017, 04:53:40 PM
I can't tell you how tempted I was to type 'Buck Futler' several times in the FB chat area while watching the game.

That thought crossed my mind too but since I live in Indy and.....well, like you, I thought "I'll be better than those over confident Butler fans."

VULB#62

So what Butler fan ranting occurred after our win?

Dave_2010

Quote from: bbtds on November 12, 2017, 01:14:03 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2017, 04:53:40 PM
I can't tell you how tempted I was to type 'Buck Futler' several times in the FB chat area while watching the game.

That thought crossed my mind too but since I live in Indy and.....well, like you, I thought "I'll be better than those over confident Butler fans."

My junior or senior year, the athletic department was soliciting designs for a butler game specific t shirt. A few of us toyed with the idea of independently designing and ordering (since there was no way the school would allow it) shirts with a picture of Darrell Hammond from SNL in his celebrity jeopardy costume and the caption "Sean Connery says Buck Futler"

Sadly, these were never a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

My wife learned of my/our rivalry with Butler 5-6 years ago, when we came up to Valpo for the HL conference tournament we hosted (and slaughtered Butler).  For part of my next birthday gifts a few months later, she gave me 2 'Buck Futler' shirts in our school colors :).  She also got a cartoonist to sketch/color a print based off one of my photos delivering a pitch while at Valpo.  The scoreboard in the background was changed to show that we were playing Butler, and winning 13-0 :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

In my opinion, the 5 year stretch goal has been met. It is time for Valpo and Coach C to negotiate a contract extension - suitors will be coming out in a few weeks.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 14, 2017, 10:42:20 PM
In my opinion, the 5 year stretch goal has been met. It is time for Valpo and Coach C to negotiate a contract extension - suitors will be coming out in a few weeks.
Yes, if not already silently done.  This would help in both recruiting and retaining coaching staff.

valpo64

Let's hope it has been worked on and is near completion...Coach C is  a class act in every way and is a great addition to the Valpo athletic program.