• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 Senior Appreciation thread

Started by valpofb16, November 12, 2017, 11:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Just a quick run down of the Seniors before Saturday's game

#4 JJ Nunes SS: Emotional leader of team, Came is as a runningback moved to safety. Three year starter at the position (really four year if you count injured season). Over 200 tackles in his career. One of the best Valpo defensive backs in recent memory.

#10 Jarrett Morgan RB: Was a DB freshman year known for blocking kicks and returning kick offs. Moved into the starting running back roll. Was an excellent utility player for us, could break off large runs (as he did at Butler last week), a 1,000 yard career back and 17 total touchdowns for hit career

#16 Ryan Clarke TE: Former QB stepped aside for Seewald. Was PFL player of the week Davidson his Sophomore year threw for 5 touchdowns in the game. Used as an Hback Second Tight End and most notably the teams starting long snapper.

#17 Brandon Riley DB: Rotated in the past two years at corner, Was set to be the starter this year until injured. Could probably be granted a medical redshirt and would love to have him back.

#30 Frank Catrine WR: Converted running back and three year starter. Has 1400 career receiving yards and 10 total touchdowns for his career. Broke off a huge run out of the wild cat against Jacksonville last year

#34 Jay Slone DE: Rotated in a defensive end in his career. Was the primary starter this year. One of two 5th year seniors on the roster. Moved down to DE from linebacker

#43 John Regan LB: Four year contributor on special teams. Had a kick return for a touchdown against Morehead State. Roster lists him as a junior so he might have been injured last year.

#56 Tristan De La Rosa DL: Over thirty career starts, One of the mainstays on the line and a four year starter. Will definitely be missed moving forward.

#98 Jake Simpson K: A RSJR he could be back lost kicking duties to Latsonis but had a solid year last year and did well in the Marist game this year

If you have any memories or favorite plays from these players please share

VULB#62

The program owes these players a vote of thanks for hanging in as we slowly got better each year.  If I am not mistaken, most of these guys are the last of Dave's first (abbreviated) recruiting class.  They contnued to believe and to lead.  A fine group of young men.

JD24

Correct on the recruiting.

Nunes transferred in the year prior. Carlson's final season.

valpofb16

Jay is last true Carlson recruit in program

vu72

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 12, 2017, 02:36:41 PM
Jay is last true Carlson recruit in program

Um, I don't think Carlson had to "recruit" JJ.  His father had just taken a senior level position at Valpo.  Not sure but would think that his son could attend Valpo for free.  No recruiting needed.  Let's not give Carlson any credit in that regard.

https://www.valpo.edu/news/2013/05/16/valparaiso-university-announces-lutheran-world-relief-ceo-to-join-faculty/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on November 12, 2017, 02:55:43 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on November 12, 2017, 02:36:41 PMJay is last true Carlson recruit in program
Um, I don't think Carlson had to "recruit" JJ.  His father had just taken a senior level position at Valpo.  Not sure but would think that his son could attend Valpo for free.  No recruiting needed.  Let's not give Carlson any credit in that regard. https://www.valpo.edu/news/2013/05/16/valparaiso-university-announces-lutheran-world-relief-ceo-to-join-faculty/

I'm not sure JJ played football his first year out of HS prior to coming to Valpo.

valpofb16

Jay Slone is the last Carlson recruit, hence why I didn't say JJ.
Also JJ played at Concordia in Nebraska hes a 6th year senior

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 12, 2017, 03:24:43 PMJay Slone is the last Carlson recruit, hence why I didn't say JJ. Also JJ played at Concordia in Nebraska hes a 6th year senior

Was he on Concordia's roster and redshirted? That would be the reason for the request for medical redshirt and 6th year eligibilty.

Brandon

Yes, J.J. redshirted at Concordia (Neb.). His path looked liked this...

2012 - non-medical redshirt at Concordia
2013 - Came to Valpo, sat out due to transfer rules
2014 - Played
2015 - Played
2016 - injured in first game of season, medical redshirt
2017 - granted sixth year

Sad to see this senior class go, J.J. especially as many of us who work in Athletics know him better than we know the average student-athlete as he spent the spring semester last year essentially running our ticket office while our ticket office manager was on a maternity leave, then he interned in sports marketing over the summer. Great leader and has made a great impact on the program.

Glad to see a senior appreciation thread - I've really enjoyed working with this class. Great group of guys who have really helped our program turn a corner. When you think about a guy like Ryan Clarke, who has stuck with a non-scholarship program after being passed up at QB in order to help the team as a long snapper and TE, that's pretty cool. I think that says a lot for Ryan and also says a lot for our coaching staff and our program that guys like that are sticking around.

VULB#62

Thanks, Brandon, for your input and the unique perspective from which it comes.