• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - Southeastern Louisiana Lions @ ARC 11/19/17 3PM Savannah Invitational

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2017, 03:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

after our game tonight... something to review before Sunday...It's "Social media Day"... bring your cell phones and FB or tweet or instagram pictures from the game and win "prizes".
======================================================

SELA Lions... so far this year:

Two exhibition games, the Jackton State game was a "Hurricane Relief" game, they won 57-51 at Jackson State; and Hosted William Carey College and won 80-71 at home.

Opened with a win over the Gents of Centenary at home 99-67

Centenary           40   27   67     0-1
Southeastern La.   53   46   99   1-0

Southeastern Louisiana had five players in double figures in scoring its most points in a season opener in eight years in a 99-67 victory over Centenary Friday night in the University Center.

The Lions matched the 99 points they scored in a 99-50 win over the University of Science and Arts to open the 2009-10 campaign.

Senior guard Eddy Polanco led Southeastern (1-0) with 18 points. Junior guard Marlain Veal tossed in 17 points and had six assists while senior forward Jordan Capps, seeing his first action in nearly a year, added 14 points. Senior guard Jabbar Singleton contributed 12 points and senior forward James Currington 10. Junior forward Moses Greenwood had a game-high nine rebounds for the Lions who shot 53.7 percent from the field and out-rebounded Centenary 36-25. Southeastern was also 10-of-21 (47.6 percent) on 3-pointers and 31-of-39 (79.5 percent) from the line.

The game counted as an exhibition for Centenary. Cedric Harris had a game-high 21 points for the Gents. Travion Kirkendoll added 12 points and Neil Hawkins 10. Centenary shot 47.1 percent overall.

Polanco scored 16 points as Southeastern took a 53-40 lead into the half. Centenary continued to hang around in the opening minutes of the second half with a 3-pointer by Harris cutting the deficit to 62-51 with 12:42 left. But a 3-pointer by junior guard D'Angelo West started a 20-0 run for Southeastern at the 10:06 mark. Currington scored six straight points, redshirt freshman Brandon Gonzalez knocked down a 3 and Capps capped the run with a dunk and a layup to give the Lions an 82-51 lead with 6:10 remaining.

Southeastern got out to a 13-5 lead on Singleton's 3 with 17:36 left in the opening half. Centenary countered with an 11-2 run to take its only lead at 16-15 on a Harris jumper at the 16:33 mark. A pair of Currington free throws started a 6-0 run for the Lions with two free throws by Polanco making it 22-16 with 15:11 left.

Veal lofted a pass to Greenwood for a dunk to give Southeastern a 27-18 lead with 12:43 remaining. Harris trimmed the margin to 29-26 with a 3 with 10:28 left. Another 3 by Kirkendoll made it 35-33 at the 5:27 mark. Polanco responded with eight straight points and Capps added two free throws to push the Lions' lead up to 45-35 with 2:44 left. West knocked down a 3 for his first points as a Lion to make it 51-37 with 37 seconds remaining.

NOTES:
Southeastern defeated Centenary for the first time since 1997 and got its first home win over the Gents since an 89-77 win in 1996. Centenary leads the series 24-20.

Southeastern won its second straight opener, the first time the Lions have done so since the 2009-10 and '10-11 seasons. Southeastern is now 35-35 in openers.

The Lions won their 12th straight home opener.

Capps saw his first action since Nov. 14, 2016 at Tulane. Charleston, who played in both of the Lions' exhibitions, played in his first regular season game since Dec. 4, 2015 against Southern.

West, Gonzalez and senior guard Quinton Thomas all made their regular season debuts for Southeastern.

QUOTES:
Southeastern head coach Jay Ladner:
On pulling away in the second half:
   "I thought as we began to settle down in the last four minutes of the first half, we finally began to get into a rhythm offensively. We were forcing things too much those first 16 minutes. Once we settled down there and as the game went on, our defensive pressure just wore them down and they began to turn the basketball over kind of in some flurries that we were able to take in and convert and bust the game open. I was proud of the way we played in the second half compared to the last game (the exhibition against William Carey)."

On getting contributions throughout the lineup...
   "I was very encouraged by some guys who got some minutes. Brandon Gonzalez, D'Angelo West, Quinton Thomas - I thought those guys came in and played well. As we go through the basketball season, it's such a marathon, so having good quality depth is important. It was good having Jordan back. It's his first action in almost a year. I thought that first time through he was really rusty but basketball takes time and as the game went on, I thought he began to look more like himself."
==============================

Southeastern La.   36   30   66   1-1
Tulane              44    45    89     2-0

Then on Monday, they traveled to Tulane and the wave beat them like a drum 89-66.  Tulane shot 59.6 percent from the field, including 61.5 percent in the first half, in taking an 89-66 non-conference victory over Southeastern Louisiana Monday night in Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse.

Junior guard Marlain Veal led the Lions (1-1) with 26 points, three assists and four steals. Junior forward Moses Greenwood had a team-high nine rebounds while adding nine points. Senior forward Jordan Capps tossed in eight points and senior guard Jabbar Singleton seven. Southeastern shot 35.4 percent (23-of-65) while grabbing 39 rebounds.

Melvin Frazier had a double-double with 25 points and 10 rebounds for Tulane (2-0), which won its third straight over Southeastern. Ray Ona Embo (14 points), Cameron Reynolds (13) and Blake Paul (10) were also in double figures for the Green Wave, who made 31 of their 52 shots and had 41 rebounds.

Tulane made 16 of its 26 shots in the first half to take a 44-36 lead at the break. The Green Wave then opened the second half on a 14-4 run, taking a 58-40 advantage on Ona Embo jumper at the 16:43 mark. Senior guard Quinton Thomas buried a 3 from the right side for his first points as a Lion to make it 60-44 with 13:45 left. But Reynolds answered with a 3 to extend the Wave lead to 65-45 with 12:30 remaining. A Colin Slater layup gave Tulane its biggest lead at 85-61 with 4:09 left.

Tulane jumped out to a 16-6 lead at the 13:55 mark behind dunks by Ona Embo and Frazier. Veal drained a 3 to cut the deficit to 16-9 with 13:14 left.

A three-point play following a Reynolds layup gave Tulane its biggest lead of the half at 33-18 with 6:17 remaining. Southeastern responded with a 9-2 run to get to within 35-27 with 3:34 left on a Singleton 3. Tulane pushed the lead back to 39-28 on a 3 by Caleb Daniels at the 2:27 mark. Senior forward James Currington drove in for a layup to cut the margin to five but Frazier hit a 3 with 2 seconds left to give the Wave the 44-36 halftime lead.

NOTES:
   Tulane now leads the series 10-2.

Veal was 11-of-21 from the field, tying a career high for field goals. He also had 11 against Central Arkansas on Feb. 22.

QUOTES:
   "I thought we did a good job of hanging in there. We cut the deficit to five and then we gave up a wide-open 3 at the end of the half. But credit Tulane. They have a good basketball team."

On the defensive effort...
   "Our defense has to set the tone for us and I thought that was one of the weakest defensive efforts we've had in a long time. We didn't play with any energy. It was very disappointing."
==========

Four of the players have started both games:

0 - Veal - 5-9 145 Guard  (Third Team All-Southland Conference Player last year)
5 - Singleton - 5-11 190 Guard
10- Polanco - 6-3 195
24- Charleston 6-8

21 Capps started the Tulane game, was first off the bench vs. Centenary, 6-7
23 Currington started the Centenary Game, was first off the bench vs. Tulane, 6-8

Oddity:  They have no numbers on their roster higher than 24.

Sagarin:   271, going into their game on Thursday at UL-Monroe.
RealTime RPI has them at #72...

They are in the Savannah Tournament... and will get 3 road games for their efforts in the tourney, after Valpo, they head to Kent State on Tuesday 11/21 and then to Birmingham for the Savannah Tournament bottom bracket against Samford on Friday 11/24... ending with a game with Mississippi Valley State on 11/25.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2017, 03:52:24 PMbring your cell phones and FB or tweet or instagram pictures from the game and win "prizes".

Heck, most of the pizza I've ever eaten in the ARC has been free. #tweetYourSeat

valpotx

Valpo 86
SELA 67

In case you haven't followed the last 10+ years in conference/school movement, Centenary is now D-3, so that win is not impressive.
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

While I applaud the idea of this promotion, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense without fan accessible wifi. I barely get a 3G signal in the ARC.

agibson

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 16, 2017, 07:21:31 AMWhile I applaud the idea of this promotion, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense without fan accessible wifi. I barely get a 3G signal in the ARC.

Is it not open? I use the secured staff network, but I thought most of campus had a guest-accessible network.

AranJacobs

I connect to their guest network at the games. Unfortunately, it is awful and I cannot load anything.

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2017, 03:52:24 PM...It's "Social media Day"... bring your cell phones and FB or tweet or instagram pictures from the game and win "prizes".

Quote from: agibson on November 16, 2017, 09:20:28 AMQuote from: NativeCheesehead on Today at 07:21:31 AMWhile I applaud the idea of this promotion, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense without fan accessible wifi. I barely get a 3G signal in the ARC. Is it not open? I use the secured staff network, but I thought most of campus had a guest-accessible network.

Quote from: AranJacobs on November 16, 2017, 10:36:42 AMI connect to their guest network at the games. Unfortunately, it is awful and I cannot load anything.

This is most likely by design.  You wouldn't want townspeople or alunmni supporting the team in person to actually win these prizes, would you?

vufan75

Quote from: AranJacobs on November 16, 2017, 10:36:42 AM
I connect to their guest network at the games. Unfortunately, it is awful and I cannot load anything.
Have same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VUBBFan

Quote from: agibson on November 16, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 16, 2017, 07:21:31 AMWhile I applaud the idea of this promotion, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense without fan accessible wifi. I barely get a 3G signal in the ARC.
Is it not open? I use the secured staff network, but I thought most of campus had a guest-accessible network.

The wifi at the arc through VU doesn't let you do anything. I've connected to it and I get an error code or blocked message if I try to use twitter, facebook Instagram or safari. So basically it doesn't work. But Hey You Can Connect so that means they supply free wifi.

covufan

I think this team will be fun to watch develop over the course of the season - so athletic and deep!

Valpo   87
SE La   62

wh

It is nice to have the "live stats" page to refer to throughout the game.

covufan

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2017, 03:30:46 PM
It is nice to have the "live stats" page to refer to throughout the game.

Last night the live stats page was a few seconds ahead of the video feed.  Yes, it is a nice feature to have.

talksalot

Quote from: covufan on November 16, 2017, 03:55:49 PMLast night the live stats page was a few seconds ahead of the video feed

The ESPN TV games are delayed about 30 seconds... the stats pages is much more "real-time"... and the radio station feed is delayed about 7 seconds.   Watch the stats change, listen to the call on the radio, and if it sounds exciting, you can lookup at the TV to see what the excitement was all about.    This allows you to play Candyland with a 3-year-old while the game is on.

VU2014

Quote from: talksalot on November 16, 2017, 04:21:18 PM
Quote from: covufan on November 16, 2017, 03:55:49 PMLast night the live stats page was a few seconds ahead of the video feed
The ESPN TV games are delayed about 30 seconds... the stats pages is much more "real-time"... and the radio station feed is delayed about 7 seconds.   Watch the stats change, listen to the call on the radio, and if it sounds exciting, you can lookup at the TV to see what the excitement was all about.    This allows you to play Candyland with a 3-year-old while the game is on.

I've alway wanted an option where you could delay the Radio broadcast a few seconds and sync it up with the video stream broadcast so I could listen to Todd call the game instead of hearing the TV broadcasters if Todd isn't on the TV broadcast. If any tech people could figure that out that would be great.

talksalot

SELA loses to UL Monroe on Thursday night...

Prediction:
Valpo 85 SELA 52

VU2014

Quote from: talksalot on November 16, 2017, 11:08:57 PM
SELA loses to UL Monroe on Thursday night...

They've been disappointing early on. The only way SELA wins this game is if Marlain Veal absolutely goes off. He's had a very strange first 3 games. 2 games he's only had 6 FG attempts but the Tulane game they just let him take charge for 21 FGA for 26 pts, but they still lost 89-66. Tulane isn't that great of a team.

Prediction:
Valpo 87
SELA 72

wh

Quote from: talksalot on November 16, 2017, 11:08:57 PM
Prediction:
Valpo 85 SELA 52

Quote from: VU2014 on November 16, 2017, 11:53:07 PM
Prediction:
Valpo 87
SELA 72

I think talksalot's spread a little high; '2014's is a little low. So I averaged the 2.

Final score:
Valpo 86
SELA 62

VU2014

https://twitter.com/sluathletics/status/931634281109164032

http://lionsports.net/news/2017/11/17/mens-basketball-lions-open-savannah-invitational-at-valparaiso.aspx

On Valparaiso...
    "Valparaiso has a great basketball tradition. They are big, talented, well-coached guys who have a high basketball IQ. They have several 7-footers, including Derrik Smits. We don't have those big, ole boys down here in Louisiana and Mississippi. They are big and very good. We are going to have our hands full but we're looking forward to getting back on the court. It's going to be a great challenge for us."

On the Lions creating free throw attempts...
    "I knew we were doing a good job of getting to the line. That is one of the things we want to do by pumping the ball inside, either by the pass or driving the ball."

On both teams creating turnovers...
    "That is certainly important to us, being able to force turnovers and get our hands on the ball and I know it is for them as well after watching them on film. They do a great job. We're just going to have to play smarter, play better, a little bit tougher, but I have been pleased with our progress so far."

VULB#62

Sorry but after freezing my buttocks off at Brown Field to watch a great FB game and then go to this thread and see it neglected. We are complacent already?

bbtds

Is there a video feed for the 2017 Savannah Invitational? I checked the Savannah Invitational website and there was nothing about video coverage for this event.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 15, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2017, 03:52:24 PMbring your cell phones and FB or tweet or instagram pictures from the game and win "prizes".

Heck, most of the pizza I've ever eaten in the ARC has been free. #tweetYourSeat

Oh! That's what tweet your seat means. I won't tell you what I thought they meant by that phrase.  :(

valpolaw

The espn app says the game is on espn3.

My prediction is another blowout by 25-30 points.

VU2014

Keys to the game:
-Contain Marlain Veal. Veal is their tiny but explosive PG
-Don't leave Eddy Polanco alone behind the 3pt line. He's sharp shooter (3PM: 2.0 - 3PM: 3.3) 60%(!) 3pt shooter and he gets to the foul line and makes them 5.7-5.7 FT% 100% through 3 games.
-Jordan Capps is another player that is a threat. He's got off to slow start the first 3 games.
-Our bigs will need to use their size to alter Veal's drives to the hoop and make it tough on him. Limit their second chance attempts.

SELA legitimately has offensive threats but they've under performed. Let's hope the guys aren't sleeping on this team and take care of business early. Let's not let this be a "trap game".

https://twitter.com/Marlain0Veal/status/698713154965147648

VU2014

I forgot this game won't have any students at the game because they're all at home for Thanksgiving break.