• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - Ball State @ Worthen Arena Muncie, Saturday, Dec. 9, 1pm ESPN3

Started by talksalot, December 07, 2017, 07:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

let's see... last year we played at Kentucky, got pasted... and enroute to Springfield, lost one of our stud players.... and we beat MoSt.  Sound familiar?

and Golder is getting the start.

NativeCheesehead

I hope the money Big Rik donates makes all these mental mistakes worth it.

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

a3uge

Hope the officiating evens out in second half, because that was garbage. Joseph fouled on the drive with 1:10 left, then gets called for a touch foul on the other end. We also had about 6 points wiped out from questionable offensive fouls.

VU2014

I have so many thoughts about this team right now... I'll just say: turnovers & mental errors are literally driving me nuts right now.

Bakari can make some special things happen on the court but he is turning the ball over WAY too much. It's not just him. It's the team. The half-court offense quite frankly looks like garbage today (its been tough all year). I don't expect us to be a well oil machine like last years team but I expect ball security and at least a bit more creativity. Does the coaching staff not trust these player yet?

Great defense (a few defensive lapses) and rebounding.

vu84v2

Offensive execution has generally been awful....but the effort and defense have been good. Not sure that can sustain for another half, but I hope that it does.

crusadermoe

Need to keep going to Burton.  Good rebounding. 

What is the deal with Smits catching a ball he could nearly step and dunk.  But he puts it on the floor and blows the layup.

The timing of the offense just isn't there. Lots of fits and spurts.  You see some real spurts of great passes so the talent is there.  Just zero consistency!       

crusadermoe

How does BSU's Walker get that far open for that 3 ?? !!!   

Just too many unforced errors like Hazen's.

NativeCheesehead

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 09, 2017, 02:12:51 PM
Just too many unforced errors like Hazen's.

I think the struggles are becoming mental. His jumper doesn't look good so he's trying to force it to the basket. He's in his own head right now. The struggles are real.

JBC1824

Time to bench Hazen, completely. I really can't understand why Matt continues to start him. It's not just that he hasn't had a good game. I can't recall him having a good moment -- although I'm sure there's been one. Not even close to ready. Start McMillan or really anyone else. Please.   
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

a3uge

Quote from: JBC1824 on December 09, 2017, 02:19:25 PM
Time to bench Hazen, completely. I really can't understand why Matt continues to start him. It's not just that he hasn't had a good game. I can't recall him having a good moment -- although I'm sure there's been one. Not even close to ready. Start McMillan or really anyone else. Please.
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 09, 2017, 02:16:43 PM
We can see which team made better adjustments at halftime.
They went at Hazen about 6 times to start the 2nd half. He looks lost on defense, and obviously he doesn't contribute on offense.

vu84v2

NativeCheesehead

FieldGoodie05

Young team is getting old to say, but it needs to be said.  But, how can we pass this poorly?  It really looks like lazy passing to my unskilled eyes.

valpotx

Hazen and Smits were lost in the first half, but Smits picked it up in the second.  I don't know what Lottich was thinking with that 1-3-1, but that killed us for their 12-0 run, as someone was always wide open under the hoop.  I don't know if it was because we didn't know how to play in that defense, or if they just knew how to beat it, but we stayed in it way too long.  Why in the world was Burton not up on their shooter on that last shot?  If he drives, the worst you get is a tie game.  That was just dumb.  This is not a good loss.  I don't care that Ball State just beat ND. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpolaw

Just ugly. We had so many chances to win that game. The ridiculous turnovers are getting old.

We don't look anything like a top 100 team.

NativeCheesehead

How do you give the same guy that hit the game winner against ND a three foot cushion on that shot?

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else getting a bit annoyed by this isolation that coach is letting Bakari do?  Have we made any % on those dribble iso's?  I mean what the heck, it sure takes the other 4 players out of the game.