• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL rpi

Started by oklahomamick, December 14, 2017, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

8 Missouri Valley
10 Mid-American Conference
16 Western Athletic Conference
17 Summit League
20 Ohio Valley Conference
29 HORIZON LEAGUE

Individual HL Team RPI's

92 Milwaukee
140 NKU
156 Oakland
212 Wright State
259 Detroit Mercy
317 Green Bay
323 IUPUI
326 UIC
329 Cleveland State
337 Youngstown State

Read more: http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/1071/rpi-watch-17-18?page=5#ixzz51G99bDoZ
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Fort Wayne would have been a MUCH better add than IUPUI.  RPI is a much higher 208 (while not as good as the past two years) it is a heck of a lot better than IUPUI's and they already have baseball.  IUPUI is having to add baseball back in and their RPI of 322 fits right in with Green Bay's 315, UIC at 325, Cleveland State at 330 and Youngstown State at 331.  Jon LeCrone just wanted a school back in Indy and who cares that he added another ratings anchor to the league.

I just talked to some Fort Wayne athletics people on Tuesday and they would still want in the Horizon League just because of their horrendous travel costs.  It also might be an easier league to win at this time. Detroit would be a much more neutral environment than Sioux Falls.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

It was plainly obvious how badly LeCrone dropped the ball picking IUPUI over Fort Wayne on so many levels. They probably would still prefer the HL for financial reasons as would WIU if LeCrone can find another team to add. I could also see the Leathernecks in the OVC though they're probably most likely to stay put right now. I think the HL will still get Robert Morris as well and perhaps some D2 move ups if USI and or Augustana are ready to move up. Let's also remember that they could lose a team (maybe more in the unlikely event that the MVC moves beyond  12 teams). I would be absolutely shocked if Milwaukee or Northern Kentucky isn't an MVC member soon.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 14, 2017, 12:03:21 PM
8 Missouri Valley
10 Mid-American Conference
16 Western Athletic Conference
17 Summit League
20 Ohio Valley Conference
29 HORIZON LEAGUE

Individual HL Team RPI's

92 Milwaukee
140 NKU
156 Oakland
212 Wright State
259 Detroit Mercy
317 Green Bay
323 IUPUI
326 UIC
329 Cleveland State
337 Youngstown State

Read more: http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/1071/rpi-watch-17-18?page=5#ixzz51G99bDoZ

It's really funny how far out of line KenPom and RPI can be:RPI has Milwaukee in the top 100 while KenPom has them at 189 Meanwhile NKU is top 100 in KenPom but  140 in RPI.

Dave_2010

If the Valley is pairing a Horizon League team to go with Murray State, I would definitely prefer NKU to Milwaukee. There is so much instability in the Milwaukee athletic department that is difficult to look past. I even think Green Bay fits the Valley profile (smaller market with less competition for attention) better than Milwaukee (or NKU for that matter).

As for Milwaukee's RPI vs Ken Pom disparity: that's all courtesy of our friends at Concordia-St Paul. Games vs non D1 opponents don't effect your RPI but do effect your Ken Pom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpo64

With Fort Wayne's overall athletic budget and  lack of a reasonable basketball facility they would have a hard time qualifying for the HL.  With an 1,800 capacity or so for their on-campus facility, it doesn't make  about sense for them to bragg about their great Memorial Coliseum facility which they rent.  With a reduced capacity to accommodate smaller crowds they still only attract only about 1,200 or so there.   They have Cadillac ambitions on a Ford budget.  I can't imagine their Coach Kaufman remaining there for too much longer.  He is too good for that operation.

VUGrad1314

Green Bay would be great if the MVC's flagship sport wasn't competing with the hottest ticket in that town  and if they were a more consistent program that would need a team like Milwaukee as a travel partner. Also they would add real punch and credibility to women's basketball. They feel like a down the line option if the MVC ever expands beyond 12. I've also heard that they aren't in the best financial shape for a move like this.

I agree about Milwaukee. They are  last on my list of potential adds for a variety of reasons the athletic department being one of the most significant but there's a good argument to be made for them. Good market Existing rivalries with multiple MVC teams Solid local TV deal doesn't stretch the footprint has the ability to be a very strong addition with the right leadership and it does appear that they have the right coach if not the right AD. They've been at a minimum above average for most of their history as hard as I've been on them I could see them as another Loyola: A program that takes about 4 years or so to get their feet under them but once they do look out. This would no doubt stoke interest for their fans and help them boost their attendance numbers as well. They'll probably bring a strong contingent to St Louis especially if they're strong.

I believe that relative to the Summit League the Horizon League can live off the shine of its past luster for another 1-3 years before they need to find another flagship program to take the mantle. That won't get you the likes of Belmont or Murray State but it could hold appeal to teams like Robert Morris Fort Wayne and Western Illinois all of whom would view the Horizon League as a better league or a travel win. You can't underestimate the importance of reducing travel costs and generating more local and regional rivalries for a team with the financial difficulties that Fort Wayne is facing.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on December 15, 2017, 11:35:07 AM
With Fort Wayne's overall athletic budget and  lack of a reasonable basketball facility they would have a hard time qualifying for the HL.  With an 1,800 capacity or so for their on-campus facility, it doesn't make  about sense for them to bragg about their great Memorial Coliseum facility which they rent.  With a reduced capacity to accommodate smaller crowds they still only attract only about 1,200 or so there.   They have Cadillac ambitions on a Ford budget.  I can't imagine their Coach Kaufman remaining there for too much longer.  He is too good for that operation.
I agree that the lack of fan support is a major problem along with potential budget problem, but after tonights 20 point win AT IU their main problem maybe keeping Jon Coffman on the bench.  He will most likely get some looks from other teams in the off season. HUGE WIN BY THE MASTODONS!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Maybe Kaufman and Miller should switch jobs    ): ):      It has to be tough for Miller to realize he has just lost to IPFW and to IN St. this season...both by 20 and both at home.  In both cases IU's opponents hit 17 3's.  Half of IPFW 's shots were 3 pointers!    Shot 17 of 30 3's and 14 of 30 2's!   Talk about 3-point defense!

VUGrad1314

And here I thought Miller was such a brilliant hire for Indiana.  Well Archie did you hear about this one? That Kauffman guy down in Fort Wayne is legit.

FWalum

Our Lutheran-German heritage must be kicking in because Jon's name is spelled Coffman not Kaufman or Kauffman. Poor guy beats IU two years in a row and we still can't get his name right.  ;) As a point of interest, coach Coffman was raised Lutheran.

VUGrad1314

Nonconference play is in the books and these numbers are just sad. The mood on many HL boards I've read almost sounds defeated. I sincerely wish they had taken  Fort Wayne over IUPUI if for no other reason than to save  some face amidst the unmitigated disaster this nonconference slate has been.

Conference RPI Rank: 28 of 32
RPI: (Dec 24)
87 Oakland
135 Milwaukee
136 Northern Kentucky
142 Wright State
245 Detroit
293 IUPUI
322 Green Bay
323 UIC
327 Cleveland State
346 Youngstown State

KenPom
80 Northern Kentucky
106 Oakland
181 Wright State
183 Milwaukee
214 UIC
275 IUPUI
292 Cleveland State
306 Detroit
308 Green Bay
329 Youngstown State

a3uge

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 28, 2017, 01:12:54 AM
Nonconference play is in the books and these numbers are just sad. The mood on many HL boards I've read almost sounds defeated. I sincerely wish they had taken  Fort Wayne over IUPUI if for no other reason than to save  some face amidst the unmitigated disaster this nonconference slate has been.

Conference RPI Rank: 28 of 32
RPI: (Dec 24)
87 Oakland
135 Milwaukee
136 Northern Kentucky
142 Wright State
245 Detroit
293 IUPUI
322 Green Bay
323 UIC
327 Cleveland State
346 Youngstown State

KenPom
80 Northern Kentucky
106 Oakland
181 Wright State
183 Milwaukee
214 UIC
275 IUPUI
292 Cleveland State
306 Detroit
308 Green Bay
329 Youngstown State
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/07/horizon-commish-likes-new-bracket-despite-upsets/98856422/

LeCrone said the key is to get the Horizon League above the No. 9 line in seeding. Butler, when it was in the Horizon League, made the national-championship game in 2010 as a No. 5 seed, and again the next year as a No. 11 seed.

"The other goal is at-large consideration," LeCrone said. "That's gonna take some internal improvement, and maybe some external."

LeCrone said the league has been consulting with an RPI expert, looking for ways to boost the conference's numbers, particularly at the bottom.

"We can't have teams in the 300s in the RPI and expect our league champion to be a 7 seed," he said. "We have to get better at the bottom, and we have to challenge our people at the top."

oklahomamick

The Horizon League finished as the 26th ranked basketball conference out of 32 total leagues at the end of '17-'18. The Conference has fallen a long way from its high water mark ranking of #9 at the end of the '00-'01 season....Around the time Valpo joined.

11 of the 14 Horizon Player of the Week winners graduate, and altogether 12 of the 14 weekly award winners won't be back (I'm assuming that includes Detroit's Kam Chatman, who has put his name in the draft, and whose father is likely to be fired as a Detroit Assistant coach, if the Titans ever hire a head coach to do the deed). Six of the 10 all-conference players graduate, and two more (Chatman and Milwaukee's Jeremiah Bell) look like they won't be back.

It looks like the league will lose 16 of its top 20 scorers, 13 of its top 20 rebounds, 6 of its top 10 assist men. Scratch out 12 of the top 20 in steals, the top 6 (and 9 of top 15) in blocks; 10 of the top 15 in 3 point shooting.

The HL could even be worse next year......
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Oakland just lost two more to transfer (Isaiah Brock and Julius Palmer)

valporun

UW-Milwaukee lost Brock Stull to Minnesota, although his was a grad transfer. He was about the only thing going for the Panthers the last couple of years. He'll rejoin Rob Jeter, an assistant under Richard Pitino.