• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Update to Homer Drew Court

Started by covufan, December 19, 2017, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

No, this is not an ARC discussion.

Many who saw last nights game also saw the artwork on Santa Clara's court.  Here is a story about their update:

https://www.timberproducts.com/blog/a-grade-above-the-rest-santa-clara-university

Fake Homer Drew (twitter handle) also tweeting about this last night:

https://twitter.com/FauxmerDrew/status/942973608292257793

With Valpo's move to the MVC, I think it would be a good idea to update our brand.  The Men's and Women's basketball teams, as well as Volleyball, all have games streamed or on TV.  If we updated Homer Drew Court to show the University's commitment to Faith and Learning with a blended picture of both the inside and outside of the Chapel of the Resurrection, I think it would go a long way to updating our brand - for all to see and enjoy.

Thoughts?

M

I think it'd be a nice touch, probably not too outrageously expensive either.

VU2014

I think it would be a cool addition to the court and like M said it probably wouldn't be too expensive. I this goes without saying but if they do it make sure to not screw it up. Make sure whoever is the graphic artist makes it look cool and nice.

A graphic of the Chapel in the background and the Crusader with the shield on the court would look pretty cool if done correctly.

AND

Please if someone from the Athletics Department is reading this. For future reference, please REMOVE THE VOLLEYBALL LINES OFF THE COURT DURING BASKETBALL SEASON. It looks awful on the broadcasts and it makes us look small time.

Ideally I'd love for the Volleyball games to be played in the Hilltop gym because it's a smaller and better environment for Volley games. I know Evansville has a special gym for their volleyball games. It's pretty cool to have a smaller environment for those types events. I think it would be nice. I'm not sure if the ceiling is tall enough with the rafters gym hanging. It would be a close. If we ever got an ARC reno they could probably address that.

Hilltop:

A lot of history at Hilltop. Larry Bird played there. Bobby Kennedy speaking to the crowd.

valpo4life

Quote from: VU2014 on December 19, 2017, 12:14:33 PM

Please if someone from the Athletics Department is reading this. For future reference, please REMOVE THE VOLLEYBALL LINES OFF THE COURT DURING BASKETBALL SEASON. It looks awful on the broadcasts and it makes us look small time.

The volleyball lines stay until their season ends, then they are removed. Men's Basketball has only had one home game since the ending of their season (Utah State). I don't recall one way or the other if the volleyball lines were there or not. I would fully expect them to be gone for the Missouri State game.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpo4life on December 19, 2017, 12:20:31 PMThe volleyball lines stay until their season ends, then they are removed. Men's Basketball has only had one home game since the ending of their season (Utah State). I don't recall one way or the other if the volleyball lines were there or not. I would fully expect them to be gone for the Missouri State game. Report to moderator Logged Like
They were still there for Utah

vu72

I was told by someone in the Athletic department that Volleyball could be played at Hilltop and now that it is air conditioned, during that few hot September days, it could host games without the humidity issues in the ARC.  There are still probably 1000 seats available.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 19, 2017, 01:07:02 PM
Quote from: valpo4life on December 19, 2017, 12:20:31 PMThe volleyball lines stay until their season ends, then they are removed. Men's Basketball has only had one home game since the ending of their season (Utah State). I don't recall one way or the other if the volleyball lines were there or not. I would fully expect them to be gone for the Missouri State game. Report to moderator Logged Like
They were still there for Utah

Yep. I was surprised that they weren't removed promptly after Volleyball was done.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on December 19, 2017, 01:36:32 PM
I was told by someone in the Athletic department that Volleyball could be played at Hilltop and now that it is air conditioned, during that few hot September days, it could host games without the humidity issues in the ARC.  There are still probably 1000 seats available.

I wonder if the person was in the loop. I've not asked about Hilltop, but I know they've been frustrated by the heat and humidity. I'd think a climate controlled Hilltop would be a great option, so if it was feasible I'm sort of surprised that it's not already happened.

Maybe video recording for ESPN3/Valley would be an issue in Hilltop?

agibson

At the risk of a triple post, back to the original topic of the thread.

I didn't find Santa Clara's art nearly as distracting as Oregon's. And, it was pretty enough to look at. But, I can't imagine that it _adds_ to the basketball experience. I like the "play up a faith connection to a national audience" angle, but I'm skeptical about putting it underneath our athletes when they compete.

bigmosmithfan1

I'd much rather that VU put money towards ARC upgrades or a new facility rather than a shaded on-court graphic that will surely be more expensive than it's worth (and won't register as recognizable for anyone without a connection to VU or the city).

Chairback

A functioning PA system would make me happy.....don't need artwork.

vu84v2

Fully agree - don't need the artwork.

vu72

I have asked Mark L why in the world ESPN doesn't show the Chapel in its introduction to a game instead of the Valpo courthouse?  He agreed but said that all he could do is suggest it, as ESPN makes the final call.  I said that to me, it was like showing the South Bend courthouse instead of the Golden Dome!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2003

Cmon man
Comparing the chapel to Norte Dame Stadium
Wtf

vu72

Quote from: VU2003 on December 20, 2017, 09:55:36 AM
Cmon man
Wtf

Not sure what your complaint is all about.  First off, the Golden Dome isn't "Norte" Dame Stadium. It sits on top of their administration building and is an iconic symbol.  Our Chapel is likewise the most recognized symbol of the University.  Was I claiming it was as famous as the Golden Dome? Certainly not.  My point was only that Valpo has very few opportunities to showcase to the nation the beauty of the campus and to miss that opportunity while showing the courthouse is just unfortunate. Geez.

VULB#62

Regarding VB in Hilltop: though it would make an ideal setting (no pun intended), I believe I heard at one point in the past (from someone else in the Athletics Department) that the Hilltop ceiling girders were too low by NCAA standards. Imagine a high set in the photo 2014 provided previously.  It would probably get caught up in the beams.

Quote from: VU2014 on December 19, 2017, 12:14:33 PM
Hilltop:

VU2003

Thanks for the spell check
Keep adding the great content to the board :snore:

VU2014

Quote from: VU2003 on December 20, 2017, 09:55:36 AM
Cmon man
Wtf

Yeah I'm not sure what you're getting all worked up about... it's not out of bounds to want ESPN to show one of the Landmarks of Campus and NWI. The Chapel is a beautiful piece of architecture that is really unique to the region. A shot of the Chapel at sunset would be better "B-roll" then the courthouse, imo.

usc4valpo

Beautiful Hilltop gym and memories of Rob Harden leaving the floor with a salute in its final season.

valpo84

In addition to 72's great comments, likewise when TV visits Wake Forest, they inevitable show the quad and Wait Chapel, its iconic building (and its not even a "Baptist school" anymore).  Valpo U's is the Chapel period. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum