• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Drake Wednesday, January 10 at 7pm

Started by M, January 06, 2018, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on January 09, 2018, 10:52:56 AM
For the time commitment alone, I can see why coaches would at least be cautious about Greek organizations.

They bring some additional support structures, but it seems like the time commitment is quite significant, on top of athletics, on top of academics.

Could be now but wasn't back in the day.  For athletes, team activities always were first priority. If there was a conflict, BB or FB players were automatically excused from the fraternity activity -- at least at the Phi Delt house and I'm quite sure Phi Psi did the same.  72?

valpotx

For baseball players, the main fraternity was Theta Chi, during my Valpo days.  I believe that each scholarship player had to get approval from Coach Twenge, in order to join a fraternity. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

If every frat and every sorority picked two home games to show up in force beyond normal attenders and join the student section I think you would see a bump. 

And to the other guy's point, the hoops schedules for the MVC are now pretty firmly on Wednesday nights during the week. So Greeks can adjust from there.if they have the desire.  Greek schedules (and I was proud member) are not train schedules, published curriculum or a National Guard call up.

Your purpose is social.  Basketball games are social.  Just move your damn event or meeting and cheer on your school that's known largely for its basketball outside Indiana.   

usc4valpo

someone need to buys Todd some new polo shirts. Wear something like Coach. We are not in the Jon Steinbrecher Mid Con conference anymore.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 09, 2018, 07:15:30 PM
someone need to buys Todd some new polo shirts. Wear something like Coach. We are not in the Jon Steinbrecher Mid Con conference anymore.

What is this, "Say Yes To The Dress"?  What's with all the comments on dress ware!?!? Haha

vu72

And, how about..."I'm Todd Ickow"  instead of "this is Todd Ickow"  This is?  You aren't on the radio!!  Still love the guy however!  A great friend and contributor to Valpo over many years!   :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I REALLY miss Todd as the TV voice. Why isn't the home broadcaster the voice on streams?

a3uge

Nothing wrong with the polo, IMO.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on January 10, 2018, 07:07:02 AM
Nothing wrong with the polo, IMO.
The logo is up to date, I'm not sure what else could be changed unless the color could be softened, not a big fan of the YELLOW gold color.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

We should have a big advantage on the boards, but they have guards who pretty consistently knock down the three. Have a feeling we'll know how this game is going to go by the 12 min media of the first half. If we're contesting their threes well, could hang in there. If they come out knocking down shots, could be a long night.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 09, 2018, 10:32:48 PMI REALLY miss Todd as the TV voice. Why isn't the home broadcaster the voice on streams?

I think he will be sometimes. I would have said most of the time, actually. If the game's produced by Valpo, so probably if it's "just" an ESPN3 game, and not something more special with someone else bringing in broadcasting talent, I think we're to expect Todd.

Checking the schedule: So, SIU was "MVC TV Network" (and e.g. regional sports cable) so it wasn't Todd. Drake tonight is "The Valley on ESPN3" and so I think we're to expect Todd. So was every other home game so far this season. (I did stream Missouri State, but mostly I remember getting killed, and not whether it was Todd or not.) After Drake it looks like we'll get Todd on ESPN3 twice more. With a couple of ESPNU games, another MVC TV Network game, and a CBS Sports Network game on senior night, to round out the home broadcast schedule.

This was discussed on Paul's podcast sometime around the beginning of the season, where Todd talked about honing his craft for TV, and now sometimes/often TV-only, vs. radio. And the discussion of being disappointed over not having him pre-game/post-game on WVUR as we're arriving/leaving the ARC.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 10, 2018, 09:48:31 AM
Vegas has Valpo -3

It opened at -3. But has moved to -5 or -5.5.

It would seem that gamblers believe computer rankings (e.g. we're ahead of Drake in the kenpom) or even RPI (where we're only a little behind Drake, close enough that home advantage would outweigh the difference) more than conference records (4-0 vs 1-3).

usc4valpo

Reed Timmer for Drake is playing very well. The Crusaders must limit the turnovers.

Drake 75, Valpo 62

elephtheria47

Big game tonight...good weather for middle of January...going over for the attendance

oklahomamick

The attendance and providing a great atmosphere is important.  It got me thinking.  What have been the best ARC atmospheres?  Mine are as follows

Florida St game
St. Mary's
Green Bay Semi Final
Missouri St. bracket buster (I think 2010)
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Love your list...I'd add the Butler home game where Valpo hit a bunch of crazy 3's in the second half and pulled off the win.

ml2

For me the single best atmosphere (regardless of the game result) was the 2008 Butler game. It was the Bulldogs first visit to the ARC after we joined the HL. The game was on ESPN2, which hadn't happened for awhile at home and Butler was ranked. The building was completely packed - but what sets this game above the others mentioned was the number and involvement level of the students. They filled up the whole student section, plus section E and most of EE. In addition the students in E and EE actually stood and cheered the whole game as well. I think this game would have to set the record for decibel level in the ARC, and I was at the game M referenced in January of 2011, which was also packed, but not with as many students.

You can get a bit of an idea for the atmosphere from this old grainy highlight video. Pay attention to the crowd in the background and you can see the students standing all the way up into EE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lj8E6P5gjI

(Also visible in the background during the reporters' on camera time - my old intramural team in the process of being destroyed by Lambda Chi Alpha).

valpo64

They are doing a special t-shirt give-a-way to the first 500 students for tonight's game...should help
the crowd as far as students are concerned

VU2014

:o :o :o Did anyone else know this? Homer almost took the Drake job in 1996? Wow could you imagine how different this programs history would be? No Homer, no Bryce, No Scott. No Sweet 16 tourney run. Thank goodness Homer didn't take that job. I don't even want to think about where we'd be right now. We'd probably still be kicking around the Summit League.

https://twitter.com/pjankValpo/status/951165391623147520

NativeCheesehead

If Homer had left, and the replacement wasn't a home run, I have little doubt we'd be D2 (maybe 3) right now.

vu84v2

Best environments that I have seen at Valpo (a somewhat limited sample, since I don't live there).

-Butler several times, but especially in 2011
-Missouri State in 2011 (this is the bracket buster game). I ended up introducing Ryan Broekhoff's mom to Todd at this game. Todd's first response, "do you have any more like him back home?"
-Saint Mary's
-Notre Dame (1989?)

Honorable mentions: Marquette (2006), Purdue (2001), Western Illinois in conference tourney final in 1995.

There have been many discussions on this board over the years about increasing attendance and fan (students/etc.) enthusiasm. People talk about marketing, facilities and any number of other things, but there are two things that ring out loudly from each of these games: the quality of the opponent and the perceived quality of the Valpo team at that time.

vu84v2

Don't forget that Homer also almost took the SLU job around 2000. Homer was many great things to Valpo - including very loyal!

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on January 10, 2018, 01:59:46 PM
:o :o :o Did anyone else know this? Homer almost took the Drake job in 1996? Wow could you imagine how different this programs history would be? No Homer, no Bryce, No Scott. No Sweet 16 tourney run. Thank goodness Homer didn't take that job. I don't even want to think about where we'd be right now. We'd probably still be kicking around the Summit League.

https://twitter.com/pjankValpo/status/951165391623147520
I remember the rumors.  In '96 I wouldn't have blamed him for leaving the Mid-Con after building Valpo into a two year winner.  I'm glad that Homer considered what he and Valpo could become.