Jump to

Author Topic: National Conference Realignments  (Read 57438 times)

Offline VUGrad1314

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: National Conference Realignments
« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2017, 04:14:57 AM »
Don't remind me about the Mid Con years. Thank goodness President Heckler and  AD Mark LaBarbera are much more forward thinking and aggressive about moving the program forward than their predecessors. As I understand it , a big reason for the willingness of VU to stick with the Mid Con was due to nepotism by the previous AD. Belmont's issue isn't that, it' seems like cheapness and dare I say cowardice on Belmont's part.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:18:25 AM by VUGrad1314 »

Offline VUGrad1314

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 01, 2017, 01:37:39 AM »
Just can't fathom for the life of me why a team willing to schedule this ambitiously  isn't willing to put the finishing touches on what would be a fantastic schedule by upgrading their in-conference competition.

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/schedule

Offline valporun

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 01, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »
Just can't fathom for the life of me why a team willing to schedule this ambitiously  isn't willing to put the finishing touches on what would be a fantastic schedule by upgrading their in-conference competition.

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/schedule

Some schools just don't want to advance to another level of success because "they've never done it that way" before. Sounds like Belmont likes being behind everyone else, and just getting their small NCAA share on a yearly basis.

Offline VUGrad1314

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 01, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
Yet that's not even happening for them regularly. I think they've only made the tournament twice in five years as an OVC member. Maybe the solution is to hope they win a few of these great nonconference games only to stub their toe in the conference tournament so that their resume is just good enough to suffer the same fate as teams like Monmouth Valpo Murray State and Illinois State have within the past three years. Maybe then they'll finally see that their best path forward is has been and always will be the MVC.