• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campus Master Plan

Started by okinawatyphoon, September 30, 2011, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

JJR, the new design firm for the campus master plan, unveiled its plan. There aren't a ton of details just yet, with more excepted to be revealed in January.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/article_e716cfbe-08c1-5e88-bc00-9603f655103b.html
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

78crusader

So, if Miller is slated for demolition in 2013, does that mean that Meier Hall will soon undergo renovations so that the Education Department can move in?

There are a number of projects that could begin next year -- the new dorm, Meier Hall renovation, and the Chapel renovation/addition.  Trouble is, that's a lot of projects at one time for a campus our size.

Has anyone heard what projects are set to begin next year?

Paul

Ps the only thing mentioned in the article Okinawa posted that I disagreed with was the proposed parking garage attached to the union.  The union is too beautiful to have a parking lot close by, let alone attached to it.

swiftmutiny

I went to the student meeting, and they told us that priorities concerning which projects will be started first will be decided in the coming months (specifically, we were told that another round of meetings would be held in February), as it depends both on what is needed most and what there is funding for.

78crusader: They showed us some architectural designs used in other projects around the U.S. that they would be drawing inspiration from in building the parking garage, and they were gorgeous. At first I couldn't even tell that they were parking garages.

For the dorms, every current dorm other than Guild/Memorial will likely be torn down with a new one in its place, with the inside of GM being renovated. The first dorm to be built would not require another being torn down, that way having plenty of space for students to live is not an issue. The first dorm built would be suite style housing where the current health center is. The health center would be moved over near the Domke Center.

Other notable changes I remember off the top of my head... The plan is to move all of the athletics and intramurals from Eastgate and consolidate them on campus. A large new recreation center would be built where the Porter County Hospital currently sits, so the Arc would be entirely for athletic teams, solving a lot of scheduling issues. Heidbrink and Kroencke halls would be demolished, and a new baseball field built there.

If anyone has any questions ask away and I'll answer them if I can.

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on October 03, 2011, 03:49:31 PM
So, if Miller is slated for demolition in 2013, does that mean that Meier Hall will soon undergo renovations so that the Education Department can move in?

There are a number of projects that could begin next year -- the new dorm, Meier Hall renovation, and the Chapel renovation/addition.  Trouble is, that's a lot of projects at one time for a campus our size.

Has anyone heard what projects are set to begin next year?

As I mentioned in another thread, perhaps, I've heard that the first faculty to move into the new Arts and Sciences building will be the occupants of Meier, during the spring semester, so that the renovation can begin.

I've heard that the Meier Hall renovation, the Huegli Hall demolition, and some of the Chapel work (the glass for sure, maybe also the pews) are on the list for this summer. 

The timeline for new dorm seemed much less certain, depending on student enrollment numbers and/or funding.

But, all my information is from before the recent discussion and release (in the last week or whatever).  Mine's from e.g. the beginning of the semester, with the president's report to the faculty, etc.

agibson

Quote from: swiftmutiny on October 03, 2011, 04:59:43 PM
The first dorm to be built would not require another being torn down, that way having plenty of space for students to live is not an issue. The first dorm built would be suite style housing where the current health center is. The health center would be moved over near the Domke Center.

Interesting!  I'd heard, earlier, that the next dorm would be where Huegli's located now.  At least, I thought that's what I'd heard.

I'm not sure if Huegli's demolition is contingent on the timetable for the new dorm.  It didn't sound like it was...

If a new dorm was going to go on the health center's plot, presumably they'd need to build the new health center first?  Unless it's supposed to somehow move into the Domke buildings?

vu72

I'm confused!  Where is the "health center"??  You aren't talking about the new fitness center are you?? Second, I had always heard that Werenberg would stay as it had been renovated some years ago.  Are they really going to tear it down?

As for athletics, what is to be done with the McEntire Court space?  Valpo owns most of those houses now and will ultimately own them all and then tear everything remaining down. Has that changed?  My understanding is that the space where Huegli is would be the next dorm, but that may have been a preliminary guess.  I would think a parking ramp where the main parking for the ARC is located would make some sense although the hospital site may provide enough ARC parking to solve an obvious problem.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: vu72 on October 03, 2011, 05:49:16 PM
I'm confused!  Where is the "health center"??  You aren't talking about the new fitness center are you?? Second, I had always heard that Werenberg would stay as it had been renovated some years ago.  Are they really going to tear it down?

As for athletics, what is to be done with the McEntire Court space?  Valpo owns most of those houses now and will ultimately own them all and then tear everything remaining down. Has that changed?  My understanding is that the space where Huegli is would be the next dorm, but that may have been a preliminary guess.  I would think a parking ramp where the main parking for the ARC is located would make some sense although the hospital site may provide enough ARC parking to solve an obvious problem.

The health center is across the street from Scheele Hall, by the north entrance. It is a hideous building. I personally had hoped that the health center would be in the new union. As for tearing down Wehrenberg, that seems unlikely or at least not in the near future as it is one of the nicer dorms, but who knows. Most of the plan seems tentative, but I think the union could definitely use a parking garage.

agibson

Presumably Wehrenberg would be the last of the "new" (post 1950) dorms to run into the wrecking ball.

With Guild-Memorial as presumably the single dorm with some character, that might be worth preserving for the long term.

But, if we come anywhere close to the enrollment targets, we'll presumably need more space pretty soon.  So, I guess it'd be more about building new dorms (or, I guess, potentially renovating-expanding, or demolition-building-bigger) rather than renovating, for the near future.

swiftmutiny

-The space around Huegli is where new nursing, business and some other academic building will go (sorry, don't remember the last one, it's been a few days).
-Yes, on the map they presented for the master plan Wehrenberg was gone.
-They said that some of the houses on McEntire court may be converted into academic buildings, but that others might be kept for the purpose of specialty housing. The example they gave was a Spanish speaking only residence.

78crusader

A couple thoughts:

(1) the health center site does not seem at first glance, to me at least, to offer enough space to accomodate a suite-style dorm;

(2) VU really can't build the new dorm where Huegli is, since if the new dorm is built at about the same time as the Chapel renovation project, that would mean two large projects going on at about the same time, right in the heart of campus -- too disruptive;

(3) putting the baseball field where Heidbrink and Kroencke now sit is a really good idea;

(4) another good idea is getting rid of Eastgate, which to me has never felt like part of campus and is now, thanks to increased traffic, a safety issue;

(5) I still think a parking ramp adjacent to the union is a bad idea, especially since it will be very near the large parking ramp built a couple years ago, thus giving the impression that VU is a campus of large parking facilities.  Better to put another ramp on the perimeter of campus, where is belongs;

(6) putting one or two new academic buildings (sounds like a new nursing building is in our future) where Huegli sits now is great, since that will create an academic/spiritual "heart" of campus; plus is hopefully will get rid of the parking lot to the south of the softball field, which is kind of an eyesore;

(7) VU cannot wait to put these new athletic fields where McIntyre is now -- there are too many homes left that are privately held, and it could literally be another 25 years before the owners are ready to sell. 

(8) Instead, sounds like VU is going to put soccer and intramural fields where Miller/LeBien now sit, and these fields will be adjacent to the new rec center, which we really need.

(9) No mention of a new science building...too bad, since I think an argument can be made that such a facility is our most pressing need.  Okinawa, weathernerd, valpopal, vu72, agibson...here is my question: are our chem/bio/pre med programs well thought of?  Respected? What do students think of Neils?

Paul

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: 78crusader on October 03, 2011, 08:30:19 PM
A couple thoughts:

(1) the health center site does not seem at first glance, to me at least, to offer enough space to accomodate a suite-style dorm;

(2) VU really can't build the new dorm where Huegli is, since if the new dorm is built at about the same time as the Chapel renovation project, that would mean two large projects going on at about the same time, right in the heart of campus -- too disruptive;

(3) putting the baseball field where Heidbrink and Kroencke now sit is a really good idea;

(4) another good idea is getting rid of Eastgate, which to me has never felt like part of campus and is now, thanks to increased traffic, a safety issue;

(5) I still think a parking ramp adjacent to the union is a bad idea, especially since it will be very near the large parking ramp built a couple years ago, thus giving the impression that VU is a campus of large parking facilities.  Better to put another ramp on the perimeter of campus, where is belongs;

(6) putting one or two new academic buildings (sounds like a new nursing building is in our future) where Huegli sits now is great, since that will create an academic/spiritual "heart" of campus; plus is hopefully will get rid of the parking lot to the south of the softball field, which is kind of an eyesore;

(7) VU cannot wait to put these new athletic fields where McIntyre is now -- there are too many homes left that are privately held, and it could literally be another 25 years before the owners are ready to sell. 

(8) Instead, sounds like VU is going to put soccer and intramural fields where Miller/LeBien now sit, and these fields will be adjacent to the new rec center, which we really need.

(9) No mention of a new science building...too bad, since I think an argument can be made that such a facility is our most pressing need.  Okinawa, weathernerd, valpopal, vu72, agibson...here is my question: are our chem/bio/pre med programs well thought of?  Respected? What do students think of Neils?

Paul

Neils is not thought of positively, but I think it is decently well equipped inside. I remember specifically one of my biology major friends who graduated in 2010 said that we had an important piece of equipment that Notre Dame's new $80 million science building did not. Not sure if that is indicative of other parts of the building or the programs, but I thought it was interesting.

swiftmutiny

A couple thoughts:

(9) No mention of a new science building...

It seemed like some of the basketball/tennis courts had been moved on the map they showed. They did mention a new science building as a part of their new "STEM" neighborhood, which would be in the area around Gellerson.

valpotx

I definitely like the sound of moving the baseball field where Kroencke is  :).  It always felt like Frogger crossing that road to get to my practices and games  8)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: swiftmutiny on October 03, 2011, 09:10:46 PM
A couple thoughts:

(9) No mention of a new science building...

It seemed like some of the basketball/tennis courts had been moved on the map they showed. They did mention a new science building as a part of their new "STEM" neighborhood, which would be in the area around Gellerson.

Take a look at google maps' satellite map of Valpo's campus. (Type in Valparaiso University) It seems to be recently updated because Brown Field has the new crusader logo on it. Also the construction around Gellersen is there and the building that will house the solar furnace is present. The construction on the parking lot across from the Law School is not present. I think it's kind of interesting that Brown Field is labeled "Football Stadium and Proposed Track." This will give you a good idea of what spacing is needed for the baseball field in the area of Kroencke and Heidbrink and how much space is available at the health center for a new dorm. It also gives you a good idea of how much area the hospital site and parking structure will add to the size of the campus.

valpofan56

Paul

Neil's is bad. Sure, the individual departments have some nice equipment here and there (new NMR for chemistry comes to mind), but that doesn't change the fact that the building is awful.  If you have a window in your office/classroom you're very fortunate. Also the lab space is very antiquated.

agibson

Funny!  For this whole discussion of a new paring ramp, I was thinking of the _old_ union's location.  Putting a parking ramp e.g. south of the library some place didn't seem so bad.

North of the _current_ union has long been a big parking lot, anyhow.  (We used to call it the "ocean".)  Sort of a buffer between some of the dorms and the academic heart of campus.  I'm not sure that converting (some of?) that parking to a ramp would greatly change the aesthetics.  But, I'm not sure how valuable the views e.g. from Lankenau to the back of the Union are - maybe they're significant.

From Neils, that side of the building is... a parking lot, already.  And the offices have views of... the big "ocean" parking lot (and maybe the tennis courts, softball field, trees of houses on McIntrye).

Unless you want to put the parking _north_ of the dorms (e.g. tear down Subway, King Gryos, Jimmy John's etc.  Or where the new north gate is going), this is effectively the perimeter of campus, and convenient to the dorms.

I've not used the current parking ramp, but I gather it's usually full.  Especially in the winter months, I'm sure a second parking ramp with good accessibility to the dorms (and Neils!) would be warmly (pun intended!) received.

sliman

At one time, a parking garage was planned for the gully area southwest of Guild/Memorial, the site of a former apartment where a couple of sand tennis courts are now located.  Was that still on the map or in discussion, Swiftmonty?

valpotx

They tore down the apartments below Guild/Memorial?  I forgot what they were called, but they were in rough shape.  I thought it funny while in school that people thought it was a good option to live there in your later years, as they weren't much bigger than a dorm room, if at all.
"Don't mess with Texas"

swiftmutiny

Quote from: sliman on October 04, 2011, 10:45:18 AM
At one time, a parking garage was planned for the gully area southwest of Guild/Memorial, the site of a former apartment where a couple of sand tennis courts are now located.  Was that still on the map or in discussion, Swiftmonty?
No, there was no parking garage there in the drawing they presented. All that I remember being in that space was a walking path that led down to the Greek village, since any fraternities or sororities that couldn't or wouldn't pay for the new houses would be moved into Guild/Memorial.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on October 04, 2011, 03:01:48 PM
They tore down the apartments below Guild/Memorial?  I forgot what they were called, but they were in rough shape.  I thought it funny while in school that people thought it was a good option to live there in your later years, as they weren't much bigger than a dorm room, if at all.

Linwood Apartments--since they were on Linwood

Interestingly the website for these non-existent apartments is still active

http://www.valpo.edu/organization/housing/Linwood.html

valpotx

How funny!  Are University Park Apts still around (I think that was the name)?  They were the ones right by the ARC, and also, in pretty rough shape.
"Don't mess with Texas"

sliman

University Park Apartments have been gone several years.  It's now grassy space often used for parking.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on October 05, 2011, 01:47:19 AM
How funny!  Are University Park Apts still around (I think that was the name)?  They were the ones right by the ARC, and also, in pretty rough shape.

I was never inside Linwood, but the University Park Apts were better than dorm rooms. They had kitchens! Private baths!

The Linwood housing was sometimes mentioned as married student housing.  I wonder if there are any facilities for that today?  Uptown, I suppose?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on October 05, 2011, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: valpotx on October 05, 2011, 01:47:19 AM

I was never inside Linwood, but the University Park Apts were better than dorm rooms. They had kitchens! Private baths!

The Linwood housing was sometimes mentioned as married student housing.  I wonder if there are any facilities for that today?  Uptown, I suppose?

officially, no such accommodations exist. married students would have to find places not affiliated with the campus.

agibson

Are they allowed to? I mean, I'm sure they're allowed to live off campus, in practice.

But, formally, you're required to live on campus for the first three years, with a few exceptions (advanced standing, Greek, etc.).  I guess exceptions are probably always possible, but I wonder if "married" is already written into the guidelines for who's allowed to live off campus.