• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campus Master Plan

Started by okinawatyphoon, September 30, 2011, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on October 06, 2011, 11:14:05 AM
Are they allowed to? I mean, I'm sure they're allowed to live off campus, in practice.

But, formally, you're required to live on campus for the first three years, with a few exceptions (advanced standing, Greek, etc.).  I guess exceptions are probably always possible, but I wonder if "married" is already written into the guidelines for who's allowed to live off campus.

it's been a few years, but i do believe that married students are granted exceptions. a kid i lived with freshman year actually did it for his senior year/his wife's junior year.

valpopal

I have been told current long-term plans are to move nursing and business into new buildings in the area where Huegli Hall will be demolished, as someone has suggested. The STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) area would see the following: math and the sciences would move to new buildings replacing Meier Hall and adjacent to Gellerson, while Neils would be renovated, though the purpose is not yet determined.

Eventually, a new education building (which was once planned for the parking lot west of Huegli Hall) now would possibly be placed in the parking lot north of Meier Hall, between it and VUCA, since the parking structure behind the Union would take care of the need for the Union, VUCA, and the Chapel. The road that stretches in front of Meier would be removed.

vuweathernerd

is there a reason they're looking to move the business programs out of urschel? is it size, or are they really that worried about those facilities. (fwiw, i've had several classes in urschel and the classes don't seem to be in such bad shape, maybe just a little on the small size.)

vu72

Statistically business has more students than engineering or nursing but has an old (relatively) building that has never been enlarged like engineering.  I don't like its profile.  It is so understated that it is hard to find.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on October 06, 2011, 06:27:29 PM
I have been told current long-term plans are to move nursing and business into new buildings in the area where Huegli Hall will be demolished, as someone has suggested. The STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) area would see the following: math and the sciences would move to new buildings replacing Meier Hall and adjacent to Gellerson, while Neils would be renovated, though the purpose is not yet determined.

The Torch article puts it this way (has this organ never been online??).

"Science, technology, engineering and mathematics education [sic?] would come together in a "STEM villae" around the current site of Gellersen Hall.  An education building would be built north of Meier Hall before Meier Hall would be removed to make room for two science wings.

Neils Science Center would be emptied as undecided 'swing space,' but [Principal and Lead Planner Neal] Kessler suggested the building being repurposed to serve the studio arts."

valporun

Quote from: agibson on October 06, 2011, 09:14:25 PM
Quote from: valpopal on October 06, 2011, 06:27:29 PM

The Torch article puts it this way (has this organ never been online??).

"Science, technology, engineering and mathematics education [sic?] would come together in a "STEM villae" around the current site of Gellersen Hall.  An education building would be built north of Meier Hall before Meier Hall would be removed to make room for two science wings.

Neils Science Center would be emptied as undecided 'swing space,' but [Principal and Lead Planner Neal] Kessler suggested the building being repurposed to serve the studio arts."

Sounds like they are considering keeping Neils, but making it more of a visual arts lab space for those pursuing work that could be placed in Brauer Museum, but this would give them more space for each student work and store any projects, since they would be demolishing Heidbrink and Arts-Psychology Building to make way for the new baseball field.

okinawatyphoon

This may not be news to everyone, but it was to me. I found the full Campus Master Plan (titled the "Technical Report"), as opposed to the "Executive Summary" that was passed around. It's 255 pages long, but it probably has some great information in it. I plan on reading it and will point out any new information I find.

http://issuu.com/smithgroupjjr/docs/valparaiso_university
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

a3uge

Good stuff in there. $25 million estimated field house with a $7.8 million estimated ARC addition to the north end that would expand capacity and house concessions/bathrooms for both the ARC and Brown field.

VULB#62

I was looking at the most recent Google Earth satellite image of the campus and have two questions:

1 -- Why was Chapel Drive discontinued mid-way (at the Chapel) and then resumed by the Brauer Museum of Art?  Every time I return to campus, I get caught up in the traffic maze and wind up having to back track because there is no really efficient way to navigate the campus.  I could understand the desire to make the campus pedestrian friendly, but there should be at least one main boulevard that connects the entire campus.  And I would think that Chapel Drive would be it.  Actually, it should be a landscaped, divided two-lane showpiece that draws people into the hub of the campus and, very importantly, to the Chapel.  Right now, there really isn't one.  Coming in past the welcome center you snake around through stop signs and right hand turns to get to Union street which then turns into Chapel Drive.  Coming in from the east off of Sturdy toward the Chapel = dead end -- just my   :twocents:

2 -- Bordered by Union, Greenwich, Garfield and Freeman is a plot called "Intramural Fields."  Really?  Its not big enough for a full sized soccer field and might just fit one softball field. Wouldn't it make more sense to locate a fraternity complex or something on that site ?  It is next to a triangle to the west of Linwood across from what I remember as the Theta Chi house. Consolidating all fraternities in that area would be cool.  Having said all this, are the previous fraternity discussions already doing this? 

I used to have the 30 year campus plan map on my laptop but not anymore.  Perhaps that would have answered my questions.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2016, 05:11:32 PM
I was looking at the most recent Google Earth satellite image of the campus and have two questions:

1 -- Why was Chapel Drive discontinued mid-way (at the Chapel) and then resumed by the Brauer Museum of Art?  Every time I return to campus, I get caught up in the traffic maze and wind up having to back track because there is no really efficient way to navigate the campus.  I could understand the desire to make the campus pedestrian friendly, but there should be at least one main boulevard that connects the entire campus.  And I would think that Chapel Drive would be it.  Actually, it should be a landscaped, divided two-lane showpiece that draws people into the hub of the campus and, very importantly, to the Chapel.  Right now, there really isn't one.  Coming in past the welcome center you snake around through stop signs and right hand turns to get to Union street which then turns into Chapel Drive.  Coming in from the east off of Sturdy toward the Chapel = dead end -- just my   :twocents:

2 -- Bordered by Union, Greenwich, Garfield and Freeman is a plot called "Intramural Fields."  Really?  Its not big enough for a full sized soccer field and might just fit one softball field. Wouldn't it make more sense to locate a fraternity complex or something on that site ?  It is next to a triangle to the west of Linwood across from what I remember as the Theta Chi house. Consolidating all fraternities in that area would be cool.  Having said all this, are the previous fraternity discussions already doing this? 

I used to have the 30 year campus plan map on my laptop but not anymore.  Perhaps that would have answered my questions.

It appears from the Master Plan that Union will curve north and go by the tennis courts and exit on LaPorte.  You will drive right by the new parking ramp located off of the Union. From ther it appears that the campus is all walking.  From the south the entry off of 30 goes behind Christ College and reaches the existing parking area across from the ARC. The entry from Strudy and connects to a path (its a different color so don't think it is a road) that goes to the Chapel and Union.  It looks like the place to park is at the Union and then its a short walk to the Chapel, dorms or VUCA.  The ARC/Brown Field parking will be as it is now, utilizing the parking ramp from the hospital as well as the lot next to Guild.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I later went on line and viewed the map and the graphic. Personally I don't agree with the traffic flow (as I noted in my first comment/question. It's a maze.

How about that intramural field?

Vale O. Paradise

Lots of info about plans for walking, biking, and autos starting on page 134. Auto-specific stuff beings on 152. Guessing when all three phases are implemented everything will work more efficiently. In the meantime, some awkward growing pains.

http://issuu.com/smithgroupjjr/docs/valparaiso_university

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 11, 2016, 11:27:39 AMHow about that intramural field?

I don't get down to that side of campus regularly. But, I've seen Ultimate Frisbee played there, and I've heard that pick-up soccer happens there too.  I don't know if it's where intramural soccer is played (I assume there's intramural soccer!). 

There are soccer goals there (I don't know currently, but they're there on Google maps, and I've seen them before), and also where the hospital used to be, which is a much bigger piece of grass.

The place labeled "intramural fields" on Google is almost wide enough for a decent soccer field (maybe not quite as wide as Brown Field's soccer configuration, which is itself a little narrow).  But, yeah, it's too short. 

It'd be fine for medium-sized games (maybe intramurals are eight or nine-a-side instead of 11?), or I'm sure you could play eleven-a-side in a pinch.  Older, or out-of-shape players may not complain if there's less running ;)

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on January 11, 2016, 01:19:21 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 11, 2016, 11:27:39 AMHow about that intramural field?

I don't get down to that side of campus regularly. But, I've seen Ultimate Frisbee played there, and I've heard that pick-up soccer happens there too.  I don't know if it's where intramural soccer is played (I assume there's intramural soccer!). 

There are soccer goals there (I don't know currently, but they're there on Google maps, and I've seen them before), and also where the hospital used to be, which is a much bigger piece of grass.

The place labeled "intramural fields" on Google is almost wide enough for a decent soccer field (maybe not quite as wide as Brown Field's soccer configuration, which is itself a little narrow).  But, yeah, it's too short. 

It'd be fine for medium-sized games (maybe intramurals are eight or nine-a-side instead of 11?), or I'm sure you could play eleven-a-side in a pinch.  Older, or out-of-shape players may not complain if there's less running ;)

The current Google Maps of the hospital site shows a soccer field lined for play and there is much more space there that the plan talks about for things like intramural competition.  My thought was that the postage stamp field near the lower campus is an ideal location for additional Greek housing with the hospital site being better developed (better grading/drainage) to support a more robust intramural program.