• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Quote Selection

Started by valpo04, November 15, 2011, 01:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

I have installed a new feature that allows you to highlight a portion of a post, then click on "Quote (selected)" to only quote that portion.

If you don't highlight any text before hitting it, it will quote the entire post like before.

agibson

Wow - that's _really_ off topic.

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on November 15, 2011, 03:04:35 PM
This is really not a part of the topic

If you know it's in the wrong thread when you posted it then why leave your post in this thread? Lazy? Clicked on the wrong thread but don't care enough about other posters' time to fix it? (You could delete the post and start a new thread or go back and find the correct thread). This really shows a disregard for the other posters and the look of the board in general. I know it's kind of nit picking but if every poster did this the board would be impossible to read. What makes setshot so special that he can commit this error?

Ok. I'll stop ranting.

By the way, when I highlighted setshot's text and hit the "quote" button it still quoted the whole post. Is there a special "quote (selected)" button or just the regular "quote" button?

historyman

I think you're being a little too rough on setshot there, bbtds. I know his views are controversial sometimes and he doesn't always post by the "letter of the law" but I still think his sometimes ridiculous posts add a certain flavor to the board and you can over look some of the "bad" posting techniques. Otherwise you might scare off some potential posters who will become afraid to post for fear of making a mistake.

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on November 15, 2011, 04:58:29 PMBy the way, when I highlighted setshot's text and hit the "quote" button it still quoted the whole post. Is there a special "quote (selected)" button or just the regular "quote" button?

You just highlight the part you want, and hit the "Quote (selected)" button.  It has replaced the original quote button.

It puts your selected quote in the Quick Reply box below the thread.

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on November 15, 2011, 04:58:29 PMI know it's kind of nit picking but if every poster did this the board would be impossible to read. What makes setshot so special that he can commit this error?

Relax... I'm the only one moderating right now and between getting things straight after the upgrade and dealing with a newborn, splitting and moving setshot's post on the Forum Information board wasn't a top priority.

It has been moved.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on November 15, 2011, 07:17:37 PM
You just highlight the part you want, and hit the "Quote (selected)" button.  It has replaced the original quote button.

I'm afraid I'm only seeing the "quote" button and not a new "quote (selected)" button. Anyone else seeing the "quote (selected)" button? Am I the only one not seeing it?

These are the three buttons I'm seeing:

Quote   Modify   Remove

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2011, 06:03:16 AM

I'm afraid I'm only seeing the "quote" button and not a new "quote (selected)" button. Anyone else seeing the "quote (selected)" button? Am I the only one not seeing it?

Quote   Modify   Remove

Weird... Try a hard refresh (control + shift + r) and see if that changes it.

agibson

Quote from: historyman on November 15, 2011, 05:09:47 PMI know his views are controversial sometimes and he doesn't always post by the "letter of the law" but I still think his sometimes ridiculous posts add a certain flavor to the board

Going off topic here myself, but:

What would a sitcom.... er, a message board be without the "Curmudgeonly alumni with a heart of gold" character?  I'm certainly glad jj/setshot made the transition from the old board.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on November 16, 2011, 09:03:51 AM

Quote   Modify   Remove

Tried that and no luck.

Is anyone else besides valpo04 seeing the "quote (selected)" button?

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2011, 09:16:59 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on November 16, 2011, 09:03:51 AM

Quote   Modify   Remove

Tried that and no luck.

What browser are you using?  It seems that older versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox have issues, but all current browsers should work.

agibson

With Vista + Chrome it's OK for me.  I would routinely achieve the same functionality by hand, quoting and then chopping bits out.  But, this does perhaps make it easier.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on November 16, 2011, 10:42:57 PM

With Vista + Chrome it's OK for me.  I would routinely achieve the same functionality by hand, quoting and then chopping bits out.  But, this does perhaps make it easier.

that's been the same tactic i use. the only problem was sometimes re-finding the bits i wanted to chop or keep. i haven't tried the new feature, but it's definitely intriguing.

bbtds

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 17, 2011, 08:51:56 AM
Quote from: agibson on November 16, 2011, 10:42:57 PM

that's been the same tactic i use. the only problem was sometimes re-finding the bits i wanted to chop or keep. i haven't tried the new feature, but it's definitely intriguing.

I'm in Chrome now and I still don't see a "quote (selected)" button on my screen. This is what I see:

Quote   Modify   Remove

Is anyone else having a problem seeing this new button?

agibson