• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Dick Harlan "RLH" 1946-2012

Started by humbleopinion, January 14, 2012, 11:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I just saw this posted on Facebook.  rlh always was a fair-minded poster and supporter of Valpo sports.  Hen mentioned that he was battling cancer -- I didn't realize the severity of his condition.

Valpo Football
Valpo Football mourns the loss of broadcaster Dick Harlan. Dick was a great friend to Valpo Athletics and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time.
Beamin' Beacons

valporun

rlh is a great loss to the community of NW Indiana, Valpo athletics, and the board here at valpofanzone. He loved talking Valpo athletics as much as he loved talking about his Purdue Boilermakers. He will be greatly missed as the creator of the community that many of us have been a part of here on the interwebs with the voy.com board, and at least the previous incarnation before this board was created. A great guy to those who knew him, and someone that was devoted and passionate to the sports he covered in NW Indiana. RIP Dick Harlan

KL31NY

Very saddened to hear this news. I'm told there will be a moment of silence for him before today's women's basketball game vs. Butler. Very appropriate, seeing that to many in the campus community, he is known as the voice of Crusader women's basketball as the PA announcer. He was also a fixture for Valpo High boys and girls games on the radio and other events on the Regents Sports Network. Take care, rlh, and thanks for the memories!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpo04

Wow... I'm at a loss.  rlh was a great guy, very passionate about the Crusaders and instrumental in the creation of our first message board on Voy and was such an integral part of our community here.

He will be sorely missed!

valpo04

Here is a link to his Facebook page.  A lot of nice words shared there.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dick-Harlan/1023293871?sk=wall

valpopal

This is sad news indeed. He was a wonderful man who had many friends throughout the area. As we all know, he cared deeply about Valpo sports and was a valuable member of the Valparaiso community. He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family.

StlVUFan

I have numerous CD and DVD memories of past VU basketball games, all thanks to rlh.  If I ever want to relive the most dominant VU beat down of an above-the-red-line team, I can pop in the tape of the WVU game for grins and laughs (I'll always think of Valpo89 when I do).

I saw Paul Oren's tweet last night.  It seemed a bit cryptic but I had this awful feeling that's what he was talking about.

Damn, another dear friend lost to the Big C.  :(

jack

He will be missed. Would love to see the ladies win this one for him.

setshot

My prayers. I go way back to the old Voy days with rlh. Although I enjoyed jerking his chain relative to VU athletics,he never once backed down. I'll really miss the guy and his comments. BOOK IT! :(

Valpo89

Very sad indeed. Once he found out he had cancer, there was hope he could beat it but it all happened too fast.
Dick had a very good voice for radio and truly enjoyed calling games for both the university and high school. He didn't grow up in Valpo, but no one could have cared more about the teams he covered. I was always pleased to go on the air with him during high school football games to discuss the upcoming seasons.

Rest in peace, RLH. You'll be missed.

valporun

Quote from: setshot on January 14, 2012, 12:57:27 PM
My prayers. I go way back to the old Voy days with rlh. Although I enjoyed jerking his chain relative to VU athletics,he never once backed down. I'll really miss the guy and his comments. BOOK IT! :(

I agree with setshot. I'll miss the banter and his way of always keeping the positive about Valpo sports in perspective. This might be the first time in a few years that I've found setshot's BOOK IT appropriate. It is a heartfelt memorial to a great guy.

justducky

I never actually met Dick but after years of listening to his voice and commentary and reading his opinions, this feels like a personal loss. It might require a dozen new upper aged posters just to try to replace the experience, perspective, and rational thought that we have just lost. In other words he can not be replaced.  RIP RLH.

koala

Just woken up to read the news about Dick.   All of Rowdy's family are very sad to hear of his passing and send our love and prayers to his family.   We had the pleasure of meeting Dick the last two times we visited Valpo and he was wonderful to talk to, larger than life, very knowledgeable, a big fan of Ryan's and just an all round great guy.   Going to miss chatting to him on our next visit.   RIP Dick.

covufan

Quote from: setshot on January 14, 2012, 12:57:27 PM

Sad day.  He will be missed on this board and around the VU sports facilities.  I also like Setshots "BOOK IT"

vu72

Shocked to say the least.  He did mention his illness here but I certainly had no idea he was near death at the time.  Wonder what type of cancer he had.  Could be pancreatic, which can kill pretty fast.  Terribly sorry to hear this news.  Although I only met him a few times, he was always gracious and friendly.  My sympathys to his family and friends.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

This is very sad news...he loved VU sports and it will be weird to not have him around the board.  Prayers for his family...

wh

This is truly sad news.  I saw Dick sitting at the scorer's table at one of our recent home games (GB?) and wondered then how he was doing.  I had no idea that he was so close to death.  He will be missed.

valpospartan

A fine person, to say the least.  R.I.P. Dick

zvillehaze

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all of the Valpo family.

valpo84

Our thoughts and prayers to Dick's family. We had seen each other for years at events all over the country and his knowledge, experience and passion will be missed. I remember his early Valpo sports newsletters as well as the starting of voy.com. Will miss you big guy.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valporun

I was listening to the women's game today, and Andrew Stem and Renee Turpa said that he was diagnosed with kidney cancer eight months ago, so it took him quickly. I was looking at the link to his Facebook page, and saw a picture of what he looked like last night before he passed, and he really didn't look like the guy I remember him being, so I'm glad where he is now, he is himself again. I hope he's up there with Gene Bartow talking about all the good that was/is/will be for Valparaiso, Indiana, Valparaiso University, and Valparaiso High School and University athletics.

dylanrocks

Terribly sorry to hear of rlh's passing.

The Horizon League just lost a friend.

Prayers from Milwaukee to his survivors.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpo04 on January 14, 2012, 11:56:00 AM
Wow... I'm at a loss.  rlh was a great guy, very passionate about the Crusaders and instrumental in the creation of our first message board on Voy and was such an integral part of our community here.

He will be sorely missed!

Given all he did to help develop a meeting place for VU fandom on the internet, perhaps it would be appropriate to rename one of the forums on this board in his honor if his family gives permission?

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.  Requiescat in pace.

lowposter

I got to know Dick pretty well the past couple of years thru church and am truly sorry he has passed. 

Valpolife.com reported last night that his daughter indicated that he listened to the Valpo - Portage game on the radio and then passed.  If so, I cannot think of a more appropriate way to sign off.  He was a class man and very passionate about VU and VHS basketball. 

There was an article on him in the Times of NW Indiana last month and it mentioned he started in Mt. Carmel, Il. back in 1971.  That is a lot of basketball.  I emailed him and asked how long he had been at Mt. Carmel and he would have announced one of my high school games back in that era.  Talk about a small world.  He looked forward to getting back in the booth and calling one of my son's games...he didnt think he had announced father/son's games.  I am glad he did listen to my son's game his last evening. He will be missed in our community and our church.

valpo92

Wow...just too sad. I dont post much anymore, but there are a few here that will remember me from the old Mid Con days when Valpo used to play ORU in Tulsa. Id always meet up with the Valpo and ORU fans for lunch on game day, and Dick would usually be part of the company.  A really, really nice guy through my limited correspondence with him.  Called a great game, too. 

Prayers are with his family.