• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

He is a Czech legend.  Congrats!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

A few days ago, there was a discussion on Valpo's success in players having professional opportunities overseas.  As a benchmark, I received the December edition of WakeForest's athletic magazine and they have a page summarizing where their student-Athletes are continuing their professional careers across all sports. Wake is a small D1 school in a major conference so a good benchmark.  BTW Aaron, this would be a nice page on the website or in Mark's emails.  It's a nice way to see where players ended up.

For Basketball

6 NBA
1 G League
14 overseas

Valpo (current) (add if I missed some players)
1 NBA/GLeague (Peters)
1 G League (Wood)
9 Overseas (Vash, KVW, Jubril, Huff, Cory, Rowdy, Oppland, Hammink and Lavonte Dority)

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUSWIM08-12

Lexus Williams on ESPNU as Boise plays at Fresno. Lexus playing well so far. Boise is a very solid team this year. Top 50 RPI.

vu72

He is shooting WAY better in the G-League than at Valpo (his senior year)and, further out! 36.3 versus 41.2.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

Probably facing a lot less double and triple teams and other gimmicky D's.  Plus there's not a lot of D in G-League.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

talksalot

He's on the Suns active roster... they are on ESPN tonight... game 2 vs. Houston

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo84 on January 12, 2018, 04:17:57 PM
Probably facing a lot less double and triple teams and other gimmicky D's.  Plus there's not a lot of D in G-League.

I understand that when it was the D League they used to play defense,  but when they changed the name to the G League the D went away.  :rotfl:

BBTDS, I know you are gonna run with this one.  ;). Make us proud.

VU2014

A pretty cool poster. I didn't know that 1995-96 team played:
-Russian National Team (are College teams even aloud to play national teams these days?)
-Indiana AAU ( ??? )
-NIT - Vanderbilt (ironically Bryce Drew played against the team he now coaches)
-Indiana-Wesleyan (a team that Greg Tonagel now is coaching)

https://twitter.com/chrisartis5/status/951848429528985600

VUSWIM08-12

Just watched Peters vs the Rockets. He got a decent amount of playing time at the end of the 3rd. Suns were down by 20ish when he was in. Chris Paul and Ryan Anderson took him to school a couple times, but he also played decent defense against Capella. 15 minutes, 5 points. 3 assists. I'd grade his defense as a C-,and maybe C+ or B- on the offensive end. Dove to the floor which turned into a lay-up for the suns. Also ran the floor well with a minute left and finished with a dunk. Not sure if he is agile enough for consistent playing time, but hopefully he continues to get opportunities because he'll figure it out eventually!

valpotx

I remember the fun exhibition games against really random teams! 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

For those who did not see Alec's game:

[tweet]952060166769336320[/tweet]

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 12, 2018, 07:44:25 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 12, 2018, 04:17:57 PM

I understand that when it was the D League they used to play defense,  but when they changed the name to the G League the D went away.  :rotfl:

BBTDS, I know you are gonna run with this one.  ;). Make us proud.

Sorry, been on the road a lot and in this tough winter/January weather it has not been easy. Only got to watch a bit of that disappointing UNI game where VU was down by 20 the majority of the game on my phone. It has just been a very tough January for me.

VULB#62

valpotx

I truly hope that this next season is his year to get a true shot at the NBA!  How cool would it be to have 2 guys playing in the NBA at the same time?  Who knows, it could be 3 eventually, if BWood keeps it up, even though all of his profile information unfortunately indicates Michigan State.  Hammink has an outside shot at it with a few good seasons in Spain, as that dude has phenomenal athleticism.  If he can get a consistent shot, teams will give him a look.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

valpo64

Alec Peters was 1-4 , all 3-pointers, totaling 3 points last night vs. the Pacers

agibson

Quote from: valpo64 on January 15, 2018, 11:03:14 AM
Alec Peters was 1-4 , all 3-pointers, totaling 3 points last night vs. the Pacers

In 16 minutes. Serious minutes two games in a row; impressive! They play again tonight at Portland, 9 PM Valpo time.

talksalot

Just looked at the roster for the Suns for tonights game...

Marquese Chriss  Inactive - Injury / Illness
Danuel House  Inactive - Injury / Illness
Brandon Knight  Inactive - Injury / Illness
T.J. Warren  Inactive - Injury / Illness
Alan Williams  Inactive - Injury / Illness

I can see why they still have him "called up"...

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 16, 2018, 01:29:57 PM

In 16 minutes. Serious minutes two games in a row; impressive! They play again tonight at Portland, 9 PM Valpo time.

Alec didn't play for the Phoenix Suns Tuesday. They play again tonight. There was some fan chatter on Twitter Tuesday about his cheering from the bench, and about the experiment with him as the backup 4 was apparently over.

We'll see.

Apparently he's still up with the team. The NAZ Suns played last night. Just an eight man roster in the box score, with no mention of Alec.

valpotx

What were the fans saying about his cheering?
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 19, 2018, 12:27:57 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 16, 2018, 01:29:57 PM

Alec didn't play for the Phoenix Suns Tuesday. They play again tonight. There was some fan chatter on Twitter Tuesday about his cheering from the bench, and about the experiment with him as the backup 4 was apparently over.

We'll see.

Apparently he's still up with the team. The NAZ Suns played last night. Just an eight man roster in the box score, with no mention of Alec.

Alec did not play with Phoenix Friday in Denver - not sure if he was on the bench.

He *did* play with the NAZ Suns on Saturday. Started - listed at center (?). 30 minutes. 5-11, 2-8 from 3, 12 points, 4 offensive rebounds (which may have helped with his 3-3 from inside the arc).

Quote from: valpotx on January 19, 2018, 08:29:30 PM
What were the fans saying about his cheering?

I'd have to dig up the tweet. I wasn't entirely sure. It seemed to be contrasting his energy _on_ the bench with the fact that he evidently wasn't going to be coming _off_ the bench much any more.