• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tonight is a good night!

Started by wh, October 03, 2012, 10:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

I agree.  Cabrera had a season for the ages.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusaderjoe

Wow, wh, I never knew you were an A's fan...

I admit, someone got steamrolled last night.  However, the First Battle of Bull Run was won by the South. It will be interesting to see what happens in Round 2.

valporun

wh, I had a good idea of what you meant by "self-explanatory", with "Tonight is a good night!", but I also wasn't sure if you were talking sports, politics, or maybe there was something that happened that you were going to explain later. I'll admit I'm a "dummycrat", but I was proud of what Mitt did to make President Obama look foolish. I'm getting tired of the "vanilla" brand of same old politics that Obama has been pushing around. I really felt like I got some idea of what Mitt wants to do, but was also having to deal with all the people freaking out about Mitt wanting to defund PBS and kill Big Bird. I don't think we'll see all of PBS being defunded, but a lot of their programming will be "repurposed". What I disliked most was that Jim Lehrer didn't take control of things as the moderator. It seems like he took a backseat to Romney's challenges, and that's a bad sign in a seasoned moderator.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on October 04, 2012, 02:34:18 PM
wh, I had a good idea of what you meant by "self-explanatory", with "Tonight is a good night!", but I also wasn't sure if you were talking sports, politics, or maybe there was something that happened that you were going to explain later. I'll admit I'm a "dummycrat", but I was proud of what Mitt did to make President Obama look foolish. I'm getting tired of the "vanilla" brand of same old politics that Obama has been pushing around. I really felt like I got some idea of what Mitt wants to do, but was also having to deal with all the people freaking out about Mitt wanting to defund PBS and kill Big Bird. I don't think we'll see all of PBS being defunded, but a lot of their programming will be "repurposed". What I disliked most was that Jim Lehrer didn't take control of things as the moderator. It seems like he took a backseat to Romney's challenges, and that's a bad sign in a seasoned moderator.

his point was not to call into question PBS's programming choices, but rather to say that the government has spread our money into area where it has no business.  Further he pointed out that it isn't in fact our money, but rather our obligation, by borrowing the cost from the Chinese.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: valporun on October 04, 2012, 02:34:18 PM
wh, I had a good idea of what you meant by "self-explanatory", with "Tonight is a good night!", but I also wasn't sure if you were talking sports, politics, or maybe there was something that happened that you were going to explain later.

Yes, I was referring to the debate - trying to say it without saying it - but I quickly got "out clevered" by Apostle and Joe.   :)

LaPorteAveApostle

oh! i see.

shows where my priorities are, but then again I did DVR it. 

i'd say i can't wait to watch it, but i'm unsure whether WH stands for "white house"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

govalpogo

I'm a die-hard A's fan and it was a very good night indeed!  Sorry Tx. 

Not really sure who won the debate...but it wasn't the moderator.

valpotx

Quote from: govalpogo on October 04, 2012, 10:23:43 PM

Worst...post....ever...I would like this removed from the board, and govalpogo flogged in public lol jk  :).

I think this was a wake up call for my Rangers, and we will get it done this year in refocusing starting Friday!

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on October 05, 2012, 03:15:23 AM

Worst...post....ever...I would like this removed from the board, and govalpogo flogged in public lol jk  :).

I think this was a wake up call for my Rangers, and we will get it done this year in refocusing starting Friday!

Worst...post....ever...I would like this removed from the board, and valpotx flogged in public lol jk  :).

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpo04 on October 05, 2012, 07:26:38 AM
Quote from: valpotx on October 05, 2012, 03:15:23 AM

Worst...post....ever...I would like this removed from the board, and valpotx flogged in public lol jk  :).

no flogging here gents. i know we're the crusaders, but do we really need a blood-soaked message board to drive the point home? besides, everybody knows the cards are gonna win it all again this year anyway. :)

historyman

Quote from: valpo04 on October 5 at 07:26:38 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everybody knows the cards are gonna win it all again this year anyway.

I was going to say we shouldn't play into the crusader/flogging/Holy Land thing but when Cardinal fans are involved let the flogging begin!  ;D

And that goes for StlVUFan and any other Cardinal fans (bbtds??) too.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Valpo04, let me apologize in advance for the butt-whooping the Rangers will again put on the minor league Rangers (Orioles have 7 of our old bench players on their main roster).  We have some hefty scores against you guys in the last few years  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

Quote from: govalpogo on March 14, 2012, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 14, 2012, 09:58:51 AM
Quote from: govalpogo on March 14, 2012, 08:56:45 AM
Hope springs eternal as spring training heats up!  I love baseball season because I don't have to live and die with every game, there's always tomorrow! Go A's!

I will do the same.  Might be a long year though for your A's with what my Rangers and the Angels have done ;)

Sigh...very true, but that's why hope "springs" eternal.  I'm sure reality will eventually "fall" on Oakland or San Jose or wherever they end up.  Knowing the A's my hopes  may "summer salt" away quickly this year too.  I don't expect them to have a great season, but this year's young team should be fun to watch. If it gets that bad, I'll just watch Moneyball again.  :)

There were so many times when they'd lose a few games and I'd think, "well, the pipe dream is over, but it was fun..."  Then they won the division...and the Angels missed the playoffs ;).  Honestly though, I do not like the way the A's match up against Detroit so I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Rangers last longer in the postseason.  Can't take away from the O's and A's magic, though, we'll see which team is truly a team of destiny! Or is Washington the real team of destiny? 

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on October 5 at 02:07:57 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valpo04, let me apologize in advance for the butt-whooping the Rangers will again put on the minor league Rangers (Orioles have 7 of our old bench players on their main roster).  We have some hefty scores against you guys in the last few years 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote from: valpotx on Today at 03:15:23 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that alarm clock failed to go off in Arlington. Did one of the Cowboys give the Rangers their alarm clock? That was some late inning butt-whooping by the Rangers.

And would somebody please beat the Cardinals and not give them the Series again?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on October 05, 2012, 02:07:57 PM
Valpo04, let me apologize in advance for the butt-whooping the Rangers will again put on the minor league Rangers (Orioles have 7 of our old bench players on their main roster).  We have some hefty scores against you guys in the last few years  ;)

Orioles Magic

valpotx

Just gave the O's the game.  We didn't take advantage of the counts like we used to (pre-middle of September when this pitiful display started), and played without passion.  I think their will was sapped over the last 2 weeks, in losing a 5 game lead with 9 to play.  Not as bad as Boston's collapse overall last year, but really bad to watch.

On another note, can someone please lure Hamilton away to their team?  I DO NOT want that guy on the team anymore.  His last month was absolutely terrible, waving at the ball constantly, couldn't buy a clue.  I like Napoli as he tries, but we can do better than what he will get in free agency as well.  Hamilton has that 'I don't give a s*^*' attitude that I don't respect.  He gets in trouble in the offseason, ks too much, and still walks around like he is thinking of something else other than baseball.  Show some passion dude, instead of striking out 25+ times in the last 2 weeks.  If it wasn't for his high .400+ start the first month and a half, he is a .240 or less hitter this year...
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on October 05, 2012, 12:14:15 PM

I was going to say we shouldn't play into the crusader/flogging/Holy Land thing but when Cardinal fans are involved let the flogging begin!  ;D

Not actually a Cardinal fan, just root for them.

vuweathernerd

you can try to flog me if you want, it won't change my allegiance to the ss red october. :) but the cards are always dangerous. and they earned the series win last year. as for friday, the braves lost that game even more than the umps.

valpo04

I've been misquoted!  What are these shenanigans, historyman!

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on October 06, 2012, 10:01:06 PM

What? What is the difference between a fan & rooting for a team? Please explain. 

Also why do teams continue to hand games to the Cardinals? Luckiest damn team in the majors.
The umps haven't been too hard on them either.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on October 07, 2012, 03:19:31 PM

What? What is the difference between a fan & rooting for a team? Please explain. 

Also why do teams continue to hand games to the Cardinals? Luckiest damn team in the majors.

haters gonna hate. the cards have earned their success. you can't simply blame them because other teams choke. you have to make your own destiny. how is it the cards' faults if the braves choke down the stretch, and the rangers bullpen can't close the door in the late innings.

historyman

Well, finally someone out managed the Cardinals. Matheny instead of LaRussa may be St.Louis' downfall this year.

I'm a fan of the Nationals now. No matter even if I'm just rooting against one team that automatically makes me a fan of their opponent if only for one game. 

valpotx

Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 07, 2012, 09:14:17 PM
Quote from: historyman on October 07, 2012, 03:19:31 PM

haters gonna hate. the cards have earned their success. you can't simply blame them because other teams choke. you have to make your own destiny. how is it the cards' faults if the braves choke down the stretch, and the rangers bullpen can't close the door in the late innings.

In referencing a team's collapse, it wasn't the bullpen that lost the world series last year...it was Nelson Cruz not being able to read an easy line drive for the last out, and jogging to the ball rather than running to it as an OF should.  A HS kid could have caught that ball in game 6, and I will always wonder what he was thinking until we win a WS  :).  Even though it was hit on a line, he had plenty of time to be camped for the ball if he would have just ran to the ball first, rather than coasting from the start
"Don't mess with Texas"