• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ARC sound system

Started by valpospartan, October 23, 2012, 09:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

When is the ARC going to get a sound system that can actually be heard?  In the relative quiet of a volleyball game, announcements are merely garbled sounds, so what can we expect during men's basketball games?  Someone, somewhere has to have an answer to this long existing problem.

wh

Last Friday I attended Grandparents' Day at Morgan Township School.  Morgan is a small public school (K-12) between Valpo and Kouts.  The event began in the "old gym" (approximately 5000 years old).  Sound system - clear as a bell.  On Saturday my wife and I saw a movie at the Cinemark in Valpo.  Sound system - crystal clear and in stereo.  On Sunday we went to church.  Sound system - perfect, both music and voice.  This Saturday we will be attending the VU men's basketball team's first home game at the ARC.  I haven't heard the sound system since last season, but based on valpo spartan's post I guess it will be business as usual - garbled announcements, garbled National Anthem, garbled game ball presentation, garbled player introductions, and garbled music from beginning to end.

As a faithful season ticket holder, I find this situation to be highly annoying - especially when it continues year after year.  Even more, I'm embarrassed for the University.  Last year Butler fans sitting around us in Section D were having a field day mocking the garbled sounds coming from the P.A. system.  I think there's a lesson in here somewhere.  Just because you have the smallest, oldest house in the neighborhood, doesn't mean it has to be the worst kept.  Where's the pride?   

valpotx

When I came to campus last year for part of the HL tournament, I didn't have any issues understanding the PA system.  Did we do something last year during that time to make it better, and it got worse again?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

To be honest, it is easier to hear/understand John Bowker (one of the best, IMHO) than the VB PA guy. (whose voice is lower).

agibson

John sounded... a little subdued?.. on Saturday.  I could hear him clearly from BB, but the volume was a bit low, perhaps?

wh

The volume was definitely turned down.  That's been tried before as a sound system 101 effort to reduce clipping (audio distortion).  Of course the result is the "subdued" atmosphere agibson referenced.  And on it goes...

valporun

Could some of the audio issue on Saturday have had more to do with the crowd size than audio distortion worries?

ml

The quality and volume of the sound depends on the location of your seat.  There have been games where we have people complaining that they can't hear from one section and people complaining that it is too loud from another.  When we installed the new video scoreboard last year we spent $15,000 on new sound components.  We were told by the sound contractor that this would correct many of our problems.  It clearly has not. 

I believe that the problem lies with the number and positioning of the speakers.  This is really the only part of the system not yet addressed.  We are going to have this looked at but we will not be able to address it before the end of the season.  In the mean time we are keeping a closer eye on the level of the volume.

valpopal

Thanks, ml. I appreciate it very much when you participate in the forum discussions. Also, I am pleased to know you are aware the situation persists and that you are looking to address the problem.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpopal on November 28, 2012, 10:45:02 PM
Thanks, ml. I appreciate it very much when you participate in the forum discussions. Also, I am pleased to know you are aware the situation persists and that you are looking to address the problem.
I agree Valpopal.

MattCarter

Quote from: ml on November 28, 2012, 09:41:07 PMThe quality and volume of the sound depends on the location of your seat.  There have been games where we have people complaining that they can't hear from one section and people complaining that it is too loud from another.  When we installed the new video scoreboard last year we spent $15,000 on new sound components.  We were told by the sound contractor that this would correct many of our problems.  It clearly has not. I believe that the problem lies with the number and positioning of the speakers.  This is really the only part of the system not yet addressed.  We are going to have this looked at but we will not be able to address it before the end of the season.  In the mean time we are keeping a closer eye on the level of the volume.
One thing I just kinda noticed was that one of the backboards that raise up, it completely covers 2 of the speakers over Section C.  Another thing I would change are the speakers under the main score board.  All that does is create feedback issues if you want a mic on the floor...and makes the sound bounce without doing any good for audience in the way it travels.  Also, system doesn't seem to handle low end well.  Perhaps adding some subs.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

wh

I almost hate to say this, but the sound quality seemed somewhat better last night where we were sitting in Section D.  Of course I've been fooled before. 

FWalum

Quote from: MattCarter on December 05, 2012, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: ml on November 28, 2012, 09:41:07 PMThe quality and volume of the sound depends on the location of your seat.  There have been games where we have people complaining that they can't hear from one section and people complaining that it is too loud from another.  When we installed the new video scoreboard last year we spent $15,000 on new sound components.  We were told by the sound contractor that this would correct many of our problems.  It clearly has not. I believe that the problem lies with the number and positioning of the speakers.  This is really the only part of the system not yet addressed.  We are going to have this looked at but we will not be able to address it before the end of the season.  In the mean time we are keeping a closer eye on the level of the volume.
One thing I just kinda noticed was that one of the backboards that raise up, it completely covers 2 of the speakers over Section C.  Another thing I would change are the speakers under the main score board.  All that does is create feedback issues if you want a mic on the floor...and makes the sound bounce without doing any good for audience in the way it travels.  Also, system doesn't seem to handle low end well.  Perhaps adding some subs.
I sat in section C for the first half of the game and noticed exactly the same thing... two speakers that were in a position directly behind a raised backboard.  If the backboard was not glass you would not even have been able to see the speakers.  This has to be what ml was talking about when he talked about adding/re-positioning speakers in his recent post.  After halftime I sat with my friends from the IPFW athletics dept. behind the IPFW bench and could hear much better.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

MattCarter

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2012, 09:05:32 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on December 05, 2012, 09:55:54 PM
I sat in section C for the first half of the game and noticed exactly the same thing... two speakers that were in a position directly behind a raised backboard.  If the backboard was not glass you would not even have been able to see the speakers.  This has to be what ml was talking about when he talked about adding/re-positioning speakers in his recent post.  After halftime I sat with my friends from the IPFW athletics dept. behind the IPFW bench and could hear much better.

I'll be honest.  My family has been in Section C since the Lutheran Miracle... all the time not able to hear PA at all (sounds like a Peanuts adult "Wa Wah Wah Wah Wa Wah Family Express")... and not until the Bethune game did I notice there were speakers above us and saw the backboard.  I then walked around the upper bowl and could hear fine, even in Section CC..but it would be better without that backboard bouncing its sound up to the ceiling.

So an easy temp fix would be to try the audio in Section C with the hoop down and then up... if that is a cause then you can do solutions.  I've seen hoops that raise that can go off to a side and then up or even easier lower/move the speakers.  If it doesn't, then the issue goes deeper.

If it were me, I wouldn't hire a "sound engineer"...  I'd call up Liberty Bible or Valpo Naz or another large area church with good sound.  Offer a nice donation and they'll come out and help...then be around later too!

valporun

If the speaker is being blocked by a backboard, then move the speaker. You aren't going to be able to fix sound bouncing off a backboard to the ceiling because it won't come back down there for those people to hear. Now, if the basketball teams could use those backboards to make some layups, that would be a much better fix.

MattCarter

Quote from: valporun on December 07, 2012, 02:27:36 PMNow, if the basketball teams could use those backboards to make some layups, that would be a much better fix.
Agree.  If the teams are makin all their layups, I don't care what I can or can't hear :)