• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

First Time Poster- time to leave the Horizon

Started by HinsdaleVUguy, March 08, 2016, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Gonzaga maybe, but no way regarding Wichita State.  They would be going against the entire desire they had to create a private-only conference with religious affiliations. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2016, 06:54:24 PM
Gonzaga maybe, but no way regarding Wichita State.  They would be going against the entire desire they had to create a private-only conference with religious affiliations. 

Gonzaga in the Big East. You might as well have 14 teams in the B1G and 10 teams in the Big 12.

crusadermoe

I can't see Gonzaga in the Big East for obvious map reasons.     I talked to Creighton folk on spring break and the other non-hoops teams hate being in the Big East.   

I would see SLU getting a Big East invite before Gonzaga.

oklahomamick

If I was the Big East, I would look at Siena.  Catholic school averaging around 8k per game and good bball program, fits in geographically. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

We should be lobbying for Big East if they're looking for expansion partners!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 26, 2016, 10:32:14 PMI don't care how much lobbying we do we are not getting into the Big East

I would settle for the summit over the HL right now.
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Happy Easter!!!!

I take the HL over the Summit. I still think the MVC is a future possibility.

Losing to GB in semis is not helping the argument of evalating to a better conference.

oklahomamick

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 27, 2016, 09:02:52 AMLosing to GB in semis is not helping the argument of evalating to a better conference.

No but 4 out of 5 League Championships do.  Throw in a NIT final four.
CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoDad89

We are not going to the Big East no matter how bad DePaul performs, they are building a state of the art arena South of the Loop that will seat 11K. The MVC decided Loyola, with their Gentile Center is their "Chicago" in. Our only real option is the A 10 if they expand or trying to "recruit" other better Mid Majors to form a better conference. Otherwise we are "stuck" Ladies and Gents and deal with what we have now.

usc4valpo

I have to wonder why Chicago is so stupid to build an 11K arena for that inept DePaul program especially with the budget deficit and problems they have.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 28, 2016, 06:56:24 AM
I have to wonder why Chicago is so stupid to build an 11K arena for that inept DePaul program especially with the budget deficit and problems they have.

They are taking DePaul basketball out of Rosemont and putting back into the city where many think it truly belongs. The building will get used by many, many other city elements. Like the airports, the cabs and ubers will pay an extra $5 to the city when they pick up at this location.

valpo64

Gonzaga to the Big East?  You have got to be kidding!   Coast to coast for a conference game...I don't think so.  When BU made the move they were hoping to increase attendance by selling out conference games.  I have only seen a few attendance numbers for a couple of their home conference games and they were in the 7,000 range...of course they get some big TV money I believe.  I just wonder how many of their fans care about watching LaSalle, Seton Hall or St. Joe, etc.  If we can't even fill up the ARC for Detroit or Oakland, does anyone really think we would do so with LaSalle and other Big East teams?  Who cares about those East coast teams other than Villanova?  Other than the HL, I think the MVC is the only move that would make sense if we consider moving.

a3uge

Quote from: valpo64 on March 28, 2016, 01:10:48 PM
Gonzaga to the Big East?  You have got to be kidding!   Coast to coast for a conference game...I don't think so.  When BU made the move they were hoping to increase attendance by selling out conference games.  I have only seen a few attendance numbers for a couple of their home conference games and they were in the 7,000 range...of course they get some big TV money I believe.  I just wonder how many of their fans care about watching LaSalle, Seton Hall or St. Joe, etc.  If we can't even fill up the ARC for Detroit or Oakland, does anyone really think we would do so with LaSalle and other Big East teams?  Who cares about those East coast teams other than Villanova?  Other than the HL, I think the MVC is the only move that would make sense if we consider moving.

You're pretty misguided here... La Salle is in the A10. Butler is in the Big East.

oklahomamick

Very very small chance but if Missouri St. ups their football program like they want and get into the Sun Belt like they want.....Valpo slides in... :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

If we ever get our wish and join another conference, I wonder what school the HL would go after. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Probably IPFW, as they are having some success in various sports, and are within the HL footprint.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 29, 2016, 02:29:12 PM
If we ever get our wish and join another conference, I wonder what school the HL would go after.
I'd imagine IPFW or IUPUI.

Actually at this point, I wouldn't mind either school. We'd probably recruit Indy and Fort Wayne better with both schools being a road stop there.

hailcrusaders

I still like the idea of creating a mid-major super conference with the likes of UNI, SDSU, Wichita State (that'd be tough), Evansville, maybe Oakland...

It's only a pipe-dream at this point but one can dream
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

How pissed would the other universities be to lose Valpo and add IPFW.  Just as we would be pissed to lose another conference member to later add one of the alphabet schools we thought we were distancing ourselves from.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 29, 2016, 04:40:49 PMI still like the idea of creating a mid-major super conference with the likes of UNI, SDSU, Wichita State (that'd be tough), Evansville, maybe Oakland... It's only a pipe-dream at this point but one can dream

Not Oakland!  I'm exhausted by them.  So much hype, probably more espn coverage than us and their push for the conference tourney to be in Detroit.  I still don't understand how they have so much pull and LeCrone's ear. 
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 29, 2016, 10:47:09 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 29, 2016, 04:40:49 PMI still like the idea of creating a mid-major super conference with the likes of UNI, SDSU, Wichita State (that'd be tough), Evansville, maybe Oakland... It's only a pipe-dream at this point but one can dream
Not Oakland!  I'm exhausted by them.  So much hype, probably more espn coverage than us and their push for the conference tourney to be in Detroit.  I still don't understand how they have so much pool and LeCrone's ear.

I was just spitballing on potential members with winning programs located in the Midwest. Oakland annoys me just as much. But they'd have no LeCrone in their bed!
#CrusadersForever

ValpoDad89

The reason the city of Chicago is building the arena is DePaul is fronting half the cost, same reason for Depaul as the city picks up half the tab. The only thing DePaul gets is naming rights (good luck with that) and concessions during games. Still the city could more with a $100MM than build another arena. They, DePaul administration, think they're going to sell these luxury suites to corporate buyers. Working for a large international corporation in the heart of downtown Chicago, I can say this, many corporations are giving up their tickets to Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks games as the costs associated outweigh the business benefits.

oklahomamick

Does everyone remember how vocal and aggressive Oakland was about getting out of the Summit for the HL?  It was clear to everyone and I wish our administration did the same.
CRUSADERS!!!

valporun

Some of you keep jumping on the Wichita St. bandwagon, but I don't see WSU being anything worth talking about in the next couple of years. With Baker, Van Vleet, and the FINAL FOUR class having finished their careers, what do the Shockers have that screams them leaving the MVC? I just don't see anyone stepping in to make WSU have a better next four years than the FINAL FOUR class had.

Also, I don't see a conference that is a stronger financial fit for all of our teams than the bus league HORIZON LEAGUE. What other Valpo teams do we have that make the university need to pull the trigger to find a better conference for the sake of our RPI and record in Men's Basketball? I just don't see any good financial fits that save money on travel for all of our Jon-revenue generating teams.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on April 03, 2016, 11:13:01 AM
Some of you keep jumping on the Wichita St. bandwagon, but I don't see WSU being anything worth talking about in the next couple of years. With Baker, Van Vleet, and the FINAL FOUR class having finished their careers, what do the Shockers have that screams them leaving the MVC? I just don't see anyone stepping in to make WSU have a better next four years than the FINAL FOUR class had.

Also, I don't see a conference that is a stronger financial fit for all of our teams than the bus league HORIZON LEAGUE. What other Valpo teams do we have that make the university need to pull the trigger to find a better conference for the sake of our RPI and record in Men's Basketball? I just don't see any good financial fits that save money on travel for all of our Jon-revenue generating teams.

You are no doubt correct about this.  However, Men's basketball is the straw that stirs the drink, ask Butler, whose other teams are no better and mostly worse than ours, or even a better and more crazy example like Creighton.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015