• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2016-17

Started by VULB#62, April 05, 2016, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

DEFINITELY sucks to be you (destination dropper!). Always use Charlotte Amalie as jumping off place for the BVIs. Enjoy island time.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 22, 2016, 05:54:53 PM
DEFINITELY sucks to be you (destination dropper!). Always use Charlotte Amalie as jumping off place for the BVIs. Enjoy island time.

LOL. Sorry, no pity for a guy who hangs out in the BVI's.  :)

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on May 22, 2016, 06:54:00 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 22, 2016, 05:54:53 PM

LOL. Sorry, no pity for a guy who hangs out in the BVI's.  :)

Au contrar, it's one of the two best bareboat sailing grounds in the Caribbean. The Greadines being the other. I'll be down there (BVI) in January. Regarless i envy your time in paradise.

valpopal

Word is that Valpo will play Kentucky at Rupp Arena.

atkins

Kentucky will be a top-5 team in 2016-2017.  They have a good chance to be the top-ranked team.  If we play Kentucky close (i.e., within 10 points), that will be more attractive to the "experts" (including the NCAA "experts") than any of our wins this past season.  If we do indeed play the Cats, my hat is off to them for having the guts to schedule us. 

I wish we could also play Oregon again.  They, too, will be a top-10 (possibly top-5) team.  Can you imagine our RPI after playing Kentucky and Oregon? 

Sure hope it happens. 

valpotx

Might help in retaining Peters as well, since he would be playing at one of the top teams in the nation, where he can showcase himself more.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on May 23, 2016, 06:58:46 PM
Might help in retaining Peters as well, since he would be playing at one of the top teams in the nation, where he can showcase himself more.

Felder made a lasting impression with his high scoring last year vs, MSU and other P5 teams. Couldn't hurt. And that might be a strategy Matt will adopt i.e., go Kampe, and play body bag games to up the RPI and showcase Alec (and win a couple).

50% water, 50% air  = a full glass. Holding out for Alec to return and be even more dominant and for Keith's appeal to be upheld. With Derrik at the 5 and most but Skara back we could be more of a monster than this year.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on May 22, 2016, 05:36:28 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 22, 2016, 05:20:53 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 22, 2016, 04:35:10 PM
Quote from: wh on May 22, 2016, 10:43:38 AMUnfortunately, wife and I will be in STT

Is STT the airport code of St Thomas in the Virgin Islands?

Wondering the same. If so sucks to be WH.  ;)

Yes, kind of our home away from home and a place we have made a lot of great memories for the past 23 years.

Then as Rowdy would say, Good on you!

VULB#62

valpopal

LaBarbera mentioned this evening that there will be a lot of home games in the 2016-2017 schedule—probably 17, one of which will be an exhibition. Lottich seemed to indicate the first two games in the Las Vegas tournament will be home games at the ARC, and two more will take place in Las Vegas. Apparently, the schedule is nearly complete with only one game to be finalized.

M

I like the sound of lots of home games!!

vufan75

Great news valpopal. Thanks for that update!

valpotx

Hopefully we get some solid mid-majors into the ARC, since we all know that it won't be P5 teams (pansies) :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Here's a repost from the Recruiting 2016 string that also fits here.  Matt is not reluctant to talk shop.  That's good in my book and gives us a view toward the coming season (which is only 4 ½ months away).  :dance:

On style of play and the use of the "point forward".....

[tweet]742813985293111296[/tweet]

And this....

[tweet]742814346078740480[/tweet]

I also received some information from ML that he does not expect to hear about the decision on Keith until the end of July.  He mentioned that he can never predict what the NCAA will do, so he is taking the stance that it will be denied, so that he won't be so disappointed if that is indeed the decision and, if not, he will be ecstatic  ;D

agibson

Butler released their non-conf schedule. Valpo isn't on it, of course.

They are hosting the likes of Northern Colorado, Bucknell, and Norfolk State. And going on the road to Indiana State.

I think we already knew they were playing Vanderbilt inVegas.

VULB#62

Well, BD get's a chance to lengthen his string.

VULB#62

Sorry 21, but couldn't pass up Paul's spin.....    :rotfl:

[tweet]743504165444395008[/tweet]

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 16, 2016, 02:38:02 PM
Sorry 21, but couldn't pass up Paul's spin.....    :rotfl:

[tweet]743504165444395008[/tweet]
Surprised Tom Davis didn't tweet a response....  or maybe he is just too stunned after seeing his buddy Todd kill it at the WSOP!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

FW alum:  did you notice that in his wrap-up of the IN All-Star series last weekend, Davis only mentioned 2 players that were associated with their college choices for 16-17?  One guy and one gal...with both going to Butler this fall.

FieldGoodie05

Alright, OklahomaMick has convinced a fellow alum to jump on the boards with a voice.  First time poster, long time follower...who is our starting five + first two reserves off the bench?

Max Joseph PG
Shane Hammink SG
Alec Peters SF
Adekoya PF
Smits C
-Tevon
-Micah

M

Max won't start, shouldn't start...and hopefully will only see mop up minutes unless he's improved by leaps and bounds.

FieldGoodie05

I'm most tepid on Max in his limited roll, but do Lexus or Micah step in to steal starting minutes? July 09th seems like forever to know on KC...

M

I'd speculate that the PG spot goes Carter or Bradford maybe Hammink. Tevonn is a starter along with Peters. Then do you go big with Smits at the 5 or smaller with Jubril at the 5. Lots of fun combinations to think about.

Just Sayin

Hammink is not the guy to be at PG.

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on June 16, 2016, 10:24:46 PMHammink is not the guy to be at PG.

Shane playing 5 to 9 minutes per game at point doesn't put me in a panic but if it gets nearer 20 I might have to double my blood pressure meds.