• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2016-17

Started by VULB#62, April 05, 2016, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vusupporter

I didn't realize so many people on the board had become Chicago State fans, to be excited about the Cougars playing at Bradley.

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on June 23, 2016, 07:41:06 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on June 23, 2016, 04:58:59 PMI think you read it wrong. I don't believe Valpo is playing at Bradley this season.
Well if we aren't we should be. Last I checked Alec is a senior so at Bradley and or at Illinois St should be top priority OOC scheduling goals. This should be doable so they need to get-et-done. Funny how the human mind functions. I have been expecting us to go to Bradley (for Alec) so that is what I saw. My mind ignored the pieces that didn't fit. Maybe I should go back to a quart of whisky per day to keep my head on straight?  :o

The quart:  increase or reduction?

VU2014

Wow... Oakland takes another transfer player with HUGE character issues. Oakland just got 4-star PG Kendrick Nunn (former of University of Illinois) who was charged with domestic assault of his girlfriend. Kampe is a good coach and seems like a nice guy but he literally will take anyway on his team no matter the character issue. They have 3 athletes on their teams that got kick out of their former schools, and two of them for DOMESTIC ASSAULT!! I'm all for second chances but wow. Kampe has had 2 players who allegedly raped a woman 3 years ago also. I've seen Kendrick Nunn play and he is extremely talented. He co-stared along with Jabari Parker at Simeon a few years ago, but has been a pretty big disappointment the last 3 years down at UofI. I just texted my friend who just graduated from UofI what he thought of the move and he mentioned how the guy was one of the biggest jerks on the UofI BBall team which was full of not great guys last season.

Oakland should be favored now to win the Horizon with Kendrick Nunn in the fold. He is an extremely gift talent if he can stay out of trouble and adjust and mesh with his new teammates. Great "get" for Oakland in terms of talent but not the greatest character guy you'd want representing your school or OUR conference.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/06/22/oakland-illinois-transfer-kendrick-nunn/86271346/

valpotx

Uh, no.  Oakland will not be favored to win the league next season, as that will still be Valpo.  Even if Nunn was available for the 2016-2017 season, which he isn't, they still wouldn't be favored. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Shouldn't he be suspended for this? Maybe that only applies if there's a video.

VU2014

apologize, forgot he will miss the season. we'll still probably be favorites for next season. Is it just me or has there been some major talent influx the last year or so in the Horizon. Oakland has shadily added talent in the league and Steve McClain has paid (I mean recruited...) some very good mid-major prospects in the league the last two season. Cleveland always recruits well, but their players seem to always transfer. Valpo has done a solid job. No doubt the league has been down the last 3-4 years, especially since Butler left the conference but I have a feeling the league is on the up swing in terms of competition. The league just in last few years has had an influx of what seems to be much more up to par coaches even after losing Bryce and Wardle, who were replaced with very competitive/competent coaches. By the way watch out for UIC. That team might have the most pure raw talent on that roster, but McClain doesn't have the best rep in term of coaching chops, but always has been a great recruiter.

VULB#62

BTW there is an entire string on this issue devoted to this in "On The Horizon."  Might be good to continue this discussion over there.  This is Valpo MBB.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2570.0     Topic: Another Thug at OU, what's new - Kendrick Nunn

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on June 23, 2016, 04:58:59 PMI think you read it wrong. I don't believe Valpo is playing at Bradley this season.
Well if we aren't we should be. Last I checked Alec is a senior so at Bradley and or at Illinois St should be top priority OOC scheduling goals. This should be doable so they need to get-et-done. Funny how the human mind functions. I have been expecting us to go to Bradley (for Alec) so that is what I saw. My mind ignored the pieces that didn't fit. Maybe I should go back to a quart of whisky per day to keep my head on straight?  :o
Mind your P's and Q's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Mind your P's and Q's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vufan75

Ran across these 2016-17 schedule games today. Dec 17 for ISU shown and Rhody shown as TBA.

I did not know Rhody was a home and home though. They s/b good with their star E.C.Matthews back from ACL injury.

Per The Catch and Shoot on Twitter...
"Valparaiso will host Indiana State and Rhode Island next season. Updated schedule tracker here: https://t.co/o5MzFygEA1"

vufan75

A little Rhody preseason hype per Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.

This is clearly the deepest team that Dan Hurley has had at URI. The big question now is how deep does the rotation go? 10-11 legit guys.

vufan75

And more from Rothstein on Rhody.
Prediction: Jarvis Garrett, Jared Terrell, and Hassan Martin will become national names in 16-17. Stock will rise with URI's success.

VULB#62

Gotta pack the ARC for that one.

M

No, if you're drafted as a mid major player you ARE great. It takes way more then one guy to win an NCAA tourney game.

valpolaw

I may have missed it somewhere but has there been a final decision on Keith Carter for next year?  I think there was an appeal of the appeal pending or something.  I assume it's not looking good but just curious.

vu72

Quote from: valpolaw on July 04, 2016, 09:46:31 AM
I may have missed it somewhere but has there been a final decision on Keith Carter for next year?  I think there was an appeal of the appeal pending or something.  I assume it's not looking good but just curious.

I believe either Mark or Matt said they weren't expecting an answer till the end of July.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on July 04, 2016, 11:19:37 AM
Quote from: valpolaw on July 04, 2016, 09:46:31 AM

I believe either Mark or Matt said they weren't expecting an answer till the end of July.

Last I heard, the expectation was that a decision could come by the end of this week or sometime next week.

SanityLost17

Took a few moments today to think about basketball for the 1st time in a long time.  I think we will basically have an 8 man rotation.  My big concern on depth is the 2/3 positions.  Tevonn and Hammink are great as starters, but who backs them up?  Jubril is not a 3 and will be needed at the 4/5, Max doesn't shoot well enough to play the 2/3, and Bradford is strictly a point guard.  That leaves Lexus, who's shot is good enough, but might be a defensive liability at times due to his size.  I think he will get the backup minutes here and play mostly the 2 guard with Tevonn migrating between the 2/3 and Hammink playing majority 3.  The 4 will be Peters and the 5 will be Smits with Jubril playing backup to both positions; probably 8ish minutes for peters and 20ish minutes for Smits.  For ease of rotation, Jubril may start the 5 and Smits come off the bench.  Really doesn't matter either way to me as both will get lots of minutes.     

I don't think we are going to see Hammink as a backup point this year.  We have lots of point guards on the roster and not a lot of people to play the 3.  IF Skara had stayed, this would be a different story.

So our backups are probably Max at the point, Lexus at the 2/3, and Jubril at the 4/5.   After that it gets pretty dicey as far as backup talent is concerned.

vu72

Bradford will get plenty of minutes running the point and we've been told that Hammink could be playing there as well.  Don't know what to think about Lexus or Max.  Hopefully one will improve enough to contribute.  Also, as for backups at the 4 and 5, don't forget about Jaune Sorolla.  The kid is 6'11", 240#.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Perhaps this is the year Davidson sees regular minutes.

valpopal

Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 13, 2016, 10:26:42 AM
Took a few moments today to think about basketball for the 1st time in a long time.  I think we will basically have an 8 man rotation.  My big concern on depth is the 2/3 positions.  Tevonn and Hammink are great as starters, but who backs them up?  Jubril is not a 3 and will be needed at the 4/5, Max doesn't shoot well enough to play the 2/3, and Bradford is strictly a point guard.  That leaves Lexus, who's shot is good enough, but might be a defensive liability at times due to his size.  I think he will get the backup minutes here and play mostly the 2 guard with Tevonn migrating between the 2/3 and Hammink playing majority 3.  The 4 will be Peters and the 5 will be Smits with Jubril playing backup to both positions; probably 8ish minutes for peters and 20ish minutes for Smits.  For ease of rotation, Jubril may start the 5 and Smits come off the bench.  Really doesn't matter either way to me as both will get lots of minutes.     

I don't think we are going to see Hammink as a backup point this year.  We have lots of point guards on the roster and not a lot of people to play the 3.  IF Skara had stayed, this would be a different story.

So our backups are probably Max at the point, Lexus at the 2/3, and Jubril at the 4/5.   After that it gets pretty dicey as far as backup talent is concerned.

Lexus is a 1—not a 3, maybe not even a real 2. Though Alec will play the 4 much of the time, as I have suggested in previous posts, I think he should play the 3 some this year. With Smits/Adekoya/Sorolla able to fill the 4-5, there could be more minutes available for Alec at the 3, especially since I feel Alec should play a few more minutes per game this year to better showcase him and build his stats a bit the way Kampe did for Felder at Oakland last year. Also, because Alec will be evaluated by scouts as a potential 3 for the NBA, Valpo owes Alec an opportunity to display his skills at that position in his senior year.

valpo4life

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 13, 2016, 11:15:10 AM
Perhaps this is the year Davidson sees regular minutes.

If this happens his nickname will no longer be accurate though  :'(

FieldGoodie05

I like it, we are back to MINUTES for this years team.  The way I see it our positions and available bodies are as follows (not pertaining to starting 5).  How do we fill the minutes for SG, SF and PF?

PG:  Lexus, Micah, Joseph
Min:  Lexus (20 min), Micah (15 min), Joseph (5 min)

SG:  Tevonn, Hammink, Davidson, Joseph
Min:  Tevonn (25 min), Hammink (10 min), Joseph (5 min)

SF:  Peters, Hammink, Davidson
Min:  Peters (20 min), Hammink 15 min), Davidson (5 min?)
**Pretty shallow depth here?**

PF:  Peters, Adekoya, Jaume, Smits
Min:  Peters (10 min), Adekoya (20), Jaume (5), Smits (5)

C:  Smits, Adekoya, Jaume
Min:  Smits (20), Adekoya (5), Jaume (15)

It's difficult to imagine more than Alec being able to log 30 mpg+.  He is among our best at staying out of foul trouble, whereas Adekoya uses ALL his allowable fouls and quickly.  Is it unusual to see teams with (2) players logging 30 mpg?  Or even 28 mpg for (2) players?  Who else can we expect to see in the 28-30 mpg range on this years team?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Look forward to your thoughts.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on July 13, 2016, 02:14:51 PMWho else can we expect to see in the 28-30 mpg range on this years team?

Shane will be the man.  As the season went on he was relied on/needed more.  Against GW he played 27, against Florida State he played 26 and against St. Marys he played 32!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 13, 2016, 10:26:42 AMTook a few moments today to think about basketball for the 1st time in a long time.  I think we will basically have an 8 man rotation.  My big concern on depth is the 2/3 positions.  Tevonn and Hammink are great as starters, but who backs them up?  Jubril is not a 3 and will be needed at the 4/5, Max doesn't shoot well enough to play the 2/3, and Bradford is strictly a point guard.  That leaves Lexus, who's shot is good enough, but might be a defensive liability at times due to his size.  I think he will get the backup minutes here and play mostly the 2 guard with Tevonn migrating between the 2/3 and Hammink playing majority 3.  The 4 will be Peters and the 5 will be Smits with Jubril playing backup to both positions; probably 8ish minutes for peters and 20ish minutes for Smits.  For ease of rotation, Jubril may start the 5 and Smits come off the bench.  Really doesn't matter either way to me as both will get lots of minutes. I don't think we are going to see Hammink as a backup point this year.  We have lots of point guards on the roster and not a lot of people to play the 3.  IF Skara had stayed, this would be a different story. So our backups are probably Max at the point, Lexus at the 2/3, and Jubril at the 4/5.   After that it gets pretty dicey as far as backup talent is concerned.

What about Jaume Sorolla? 
CRUSADERS!!!