• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Micah Branford teammate released by JMU from NLI

Started by vufan75, April 07, 2016, 05:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

6-9 forward Zach Hollywood who played his high school ball with Valpo 2016 recruit Micah Bradford was released from his signed NLI by James Madison today. Wonder if he is worth a look by our coaches?

Check out @ExampleSports3's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ExampleSports3/status/718150096282587137?s=09

ValpoDad89

My daughter, a Crusaderette, says Jubril is gone, cannot believe it. But if true, a spot opens up right away so long as Micah honors his commitment which I think he will. Zachary will have some early PT right on if that's the case and the Lottich rebuild will be in full force. If he recruited Micah, chances are he knows or recruited Zachary.

humbleopinion

It makes little sense for Jubril to go .  He would have to find a school willing to give two year's scholarships for one year playing time unless he chooses to go Div II.  I can't imagine Div I schools ready to make that sort of deal for his ability to contribute, and after seeing MSG, could he lower his sights?  I hope that he was blowing off steam and will make peace with the new coach and finish his career here.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

I'd give him an offer. If Jubril leaves that means we'll have 4 scholarships open.

Hollywood is unranked by Scouts, Rivals, and ESPN. But Futures150 ranked him 3 stars (breaks down his strengths/weakness: https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/zach-hollywood-sf-bourbonnais-il-2016 ). He made CSN Chicago's Top 50 players to watch for http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/top-50-high-school-basketball-players-watch-illinois .

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2360352/zach-hollywood

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/zach-hollywood/xp9vEilSEeS00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm

ValpoDad89

My daughter said a couple of Alabama schools contacted him (Jubril) already, shady in its own right but college athletics. I believe he was a Powell recruit but Jubril isn't going to the NBA. Why quit now when you're a focal piece of another high running HL team?

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 07, 2016, 05:52:32 PMIt makes little sense for Jubril to go .  He would have to find a school willing to give two year's scholarships for one year playing time unless he chooses to go Div II.  I can't imagine Div I schools ready to make that sort of deal for his ability to contribute, and after seeing MSG, could he lower his sights?  I hope that he was blowing off steam and will make peace with the new coach and finish his career here.
Ritchie Edwards made a similar move when he transferred to Arizona St. It didn't work out too well for either, and the ASU fans could never understand it. OK perhaps Jubril is slightly more versatile but this move still doesn't fit with any of the conventional reasons.

humbleopinion

Quote from: VU2014 on April 07, 2016, 06:01:41 PMI'd give him an offer. If Jubril leaves that means we'll have 4 scholarships open.

Of course we had four scholarships earlier and chose not to offer.  As was said, Lottich must have been familiar with him.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

What schools in Alabama have contacted Jubril already?  If that is true, that is extremely shady.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Unless he has some sort of personality conflict with the new HC his transferring makes no sense. He can't think he is a potential nba player. If Peters leaves he becomes the starting 4 and gets Peters minutes. If Peters comes back he still will get major minutes at the 5 and backing up Peters at the 4. Why go through the hassle of going to a brand new program and sitting out a year for the chance to play one year?  Unless of course he is graduating early too and can transfer and play immediately which I haven't heard anybody say.  Even then why go through the hassle?
Quote from: justducky on April 07, 2016, 06:14:31 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on April 07, 2016, 05:52:32 PMIt makes little sense for Jubril to go .  He would have to find a school willing to give two year's scholarships for one year playing time unless he chooses to go Div II.  I can't imagine Div I schools ready to make that sort of deal for his ability to contribute, and after seeing MSG, could he lower his sights?  I hope that he was blowing off steam and will make peace with the new coach and finish his career here.
Ritchie Edwards made a similar move when he transferred to Arizona St. It didn't work out too well for either, and the ASU fans could never understand it. OK perhaps Jubril is slightly more versatile but this move still doesn't fit with any of the conventional reasons.

valpotx

If Jubril is also graduating, I can see it making more sense for him, to try and find a larger role (scoring).  I remember that someone mentioned the big selling point for him to come to Valpo, was that he could play SG/SF minutes.  If he truly believes that he is this combination, he needs to watch more video of himself.  He is more of a SF/PF, not quick enough to be a true guard.  If he wants to find a more prominent role at a school with less talent, more power to him.  If he is not graduating this year, he is wasting an opportunity to get a solid degree.  Even if it ends up being Samford in Alabama, any degree from that state would be much less desirable to employers.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

I do recall Jubril bringing the ball up several times last year when we had turnovers at the point.  Keith was out and others continued to turn it over.  Jubril often brought it up.  Have you seen his 3 point shot? 
CRUSADERS!!!

atkins

Jubril is an imoortant part of the core and is poised for a ton of minutes next year.  He is our only reliable inside presence, aside from Alec's rebounding.  Smits is a freshman, so he will need a lot of help.  If Jubril wants to be more involved in the offense, great! 

agibson

It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

Student-only all-team meeting. Lottich falking about what a tight group it is, what a family. We'll see.

Chairback

Oren did mention that Skara, Shane and Walker said they would be back.  No word on Jabril.

If Jabril thinks he's better he current role in Valpo I agree with TX that he needs to watch some tape.

SanityLost17

I was reluctant to believe in Jubril a year ago.  However, he really saved us many times this year.   We need Smits/Peters/Jubril to share all of the minutes at the 4/5 positions.  We need Skara/Hammink/Tevonn to share all the minutes the 2/3 positions.   As far as the point guard goes, may the best 2 get the majority of the minutes with a 3rd getting limited minutes.  I think all our our PG's are all good, but not great.  This is a 8/9 man rotation that could be very good. 

Truth of the matter is that if Peters and Jubril do not come back, we are in a bit of trouble unless we strike gold in late recruiting cycle.             

nkvu

Jubril made great strides this year. He showed that he can hit a 3 given a wide open look with plenty of time to prepare.  And he did finish better around the rim though still not great. He will get lots of playing time next year to show what he can do. He will be a good to very good Horizon league level player. If he thinks that he is more than that he should look at the tapes. Where can he go that he could show' more?  If he goes up he will ride the pine and be at best a practice player. If he goes down and excels - so what?  Jubril you are in the perfect place in your last year to contribute to a good team. Don't blow it.

ValpoDad89

I personally think him leaving is a major mistake as he is not NBA caliber, and Euro teams will find him especially with Lottich as his Head Coach. But I saw Myke Henry leave Illnois and go to DePaul because he wanted to play more wing, he isn't a wing player nor is Jubril. He was at his best replacing Vashil and when V was in there playing a hybrid 4 with Alec. It seemed to suit his skill best. What he wants, who knows, but he can and will be focal point for a damn good basketball team next season if he wanted.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 07, 2016, 08:08:31 PMI do recall Jubril bringing the ball up several times last year when we had turnovers at the point.
He is only asked to do this in clear outs while playing as a center and being guarded by a center. Even in this situation at the first sign of a trap he passes (by design) to a cutter returning to mid court.

Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2016, 08:02:38 PMI remember that someone mentioned the big selling point for him to come to Valpo, was that he could play SG/SF minutes.
He got a brief look was largely unimpressive and since has bulked up 20+ lbs to better compete under the basket. He is now a much different athlete than the one who first stepped on campus.

Don't get me wrong Jubril is good enough to play at a lot of different schools. BUT him getting more minutes for any top 100 program is very unlikely. So what would be his incentive for leaving?

nkvu

I think one of the toughest lessons to learn in life is what your limitations are. Anyone who puts on a Valpo men's basketball uniform is going to be better than 96 percent of players who have ever played the game. Anyone who started will be better than 97 percent. The problem is, the 3 percent left will take up all the nba and most of the international player jobs. That is a tough pill to swallow for 20 something kids who have these dreams of being the next Kobe and have enough skills to think they have a shot when in fact they really don't.

Jubril, I truly  wish you were 6'10 and could play a strong 4. You're not.  I truly wish you had the quicks and shot to play the 3. You don't. What you have is enough strength to back up the 5 and enough streangth and shot to play or back up the 4 at a horizon league level. That is quite a lot. Come back and do it!  That's more than 97 per cent of basketball players can do.

FWalum

As I said another thread, probably pretty hard to get a reaction from Jubril or even talk to him since he's most likely in Phoenix Arizona at the NCAA leadership forum which started on April 7 and ends on April 10. Pretty hard to attend meetings when your half a continent away.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vusupporter

But why let facts get in the way of wild speculation?

ValpoFan

How did this thread turn from Micah Bradford's teammate to discussing unsubstantiated rumors about Jubril?

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoFan on April 08, 2016, 09:49:35 AM
How did this thread turn from Micah Bradford's teammate to discussing unsubstantiated rumors about Jubril?
Just be happy we're not talking about facilities (talking about beating a "BCS" school in every thread has finally died, thank god).

VULB#62

Quote from: ValpoFan on April 08, 2016, 09:49:35 AM

It's all Dad's fault -- he introduced Jubril's name with reference to Hollywood's potential playing time.  Tsk, tsk.   ;D

Valpo89

I don't know anything about the guy, but if your name is Hollywood and you play sports, you have to back it up don't you?