• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Here's what ticks me off about Big Time College Conferneces

Started by ValpoDad89, April 16, 2016, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

Jean Lenti Ponsetto, the AD of DePaul and one person who single handedly threw a once proud program in the garbage die to her own ineptitude had the audacity to say that thanks to Villanova winning the national championship, it put an extra couple million into the coffers of the Big Eat schools. As if she single handedly gained that money. I've been around both programs on the fringes, Valpo and DePaul and what really irks me is we lack in facilities but have a far better coached and talented team than DePaul. Yet we languish in a conference ill suited for our potential. I've been around DePaul for a long time as a student and season ticket holder and can say this, Valpo's team did far better than any DePaul teams some 1987 when they made it to the Sweet 16'. Heck, Homer's 1998 team (almost 20 years in the making) did far better than any DePaul team in recent history.

It really irks me that a University like that can benefit while the one, we adore , has to struggle to get what we get. I can say this, they wouldn't do it, but if we played them a Home and Home for 10 games, 5 games each, Valpo wins 8 of those Gsme easy. Just putting things into perspective but in today's college basketball world, perceptions our reality. That's why I've been saying for Valpi to promote themselves as Chicagos team. If we aspire to get better conference affiliation. It starts there. If people come or don't who cares. Why? We keep winning and identify ourself as that, bigger conferences will come calling. Agsin, perception is the reality. Tell me the A10 wouldn't want a foothold into Chicago. The competition is us, DePaul and Loyola. Tell me who has the better recent history and is on the upside?

oklahomamick

It seems that Oakland pushes and pushes.  They lay the black top and get LED lights.  They openly voiced their desire to be in the HL.  Oakland basketball receives much more press than they deserve for a non top 100 team.  I feel if Oakland had Valpo's basketball success Oakland would probably be leaving for a better conference. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 16, 2016, 02:22:13 AM
Jean Lenti Ponsetto, the AD of DePaul and one person who single handedly threw a once proud program in the garbage die to her own ineptitude had the audacity to say that thanks to Villanova winning the national championship, it put an extra couple million into the coffers of the Big Eat schools. As if she single handedly gained that money. I've been around both programs on the fringes, Valpo and DePaul and what really irks me is we lack in facilities but have a far better coached and talented team than DePaul. Yet we languish in a conference ill suited for our potential.

DePaul's situation is compatible with the well known Marxist "redistribution of wealth" philosophy:

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"
Karl Marx

It is permeating every element of American society these days and has resulted in a permanent underclass of multi-generational, entitled takers, who are perfectly content to live off someone else's dime.

DePaul from the Big East and YSU from the Horizon League are just 2 basketball examples of how "redistribution" is such a demotivating, depressing way of life where no one benefits. There are much healthier ways of meeting needs, and it begins with giving people in need a hand up - not a hand out. It's about teaching people to fish, not just feeding them fish dinners for the rest of their lives. DePaul is like a baby that has never been weaned from mother's milk. It just keeps sucking.

wh

Just speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with sharng payouts, as long as all the recipients are making a sincere effort to do their best. I do have a problem with perpetual bottom feeders getting any share whatsoever.

As to your Butler friends, I think they have a legitimate beef. Of all the money they earned, they only received 2 of 13 shares, or a lousy 15%. Of the remaining 11 shares, 2 went to the conference and 1 each to the other programs. If that were Valpo, a lot of us would be going nuts. I think Butler should have gotten at least half for every game it won. The other half should be shared among the league and other programs, with the 2nd place team getting the most, and the last 2 or 3 place teams getting absolutely nothing.

Vinny

Mick -

Oakland certainly appears to be a very aggressive athletic department. Top to bottom, they do the best job of fielding competitive programs. Oakland's swimming and diving programs have a rich history, their soccer teams are outstanding, their men's basketball team has vastly improved. Outside of perhaps baseball, they don't have a perennial cellar dweller. Out of all the current HL schools, my money would be on Oakland to be the next school to make a jump to a bigger conference (assuming YSU wouldn't go to the MAC because of football) for the reasons we've listed. It may only be perception, but overall, Oakland seems to have an urgency to keep improving.

oklahomamick

Quote from: Vinny on April 16, 2016, 06:42:06 PMMick - Oakland certainly appears to be a very aggressive athletic department. Top to bottom, they do the best job of fielding competitive programs. Oakland's swimming and diving programs have a rich history, their soccer teams are outstanding, their men's basketball team has vastly improved. Outside of perhaps baseball, they don't have a perennial cellar dweller. Out of all the current HL schools, my money would be on Oakland to be the next school to make a jump to a bigger conference (assuming YSU wouldn't go to the MAC because of football) for the reasons we've listed. It may only be perception, but overall, Oakland seems to have an urgency to keep improving.

agreed.  VU athletic department is very conservative.  Is President Heckler and AD LaBarbera too professional to publicly politick and pander upgrading conferences or improving facilities? 

Vinny, I would only add to your post that men's basketball is the only driving force.  Despite all the success in Oakland's athletic department, its the men's basketball team that needs to win some championships (maybe next year will be the year). 

Whats the one thing Oakland has going for them? 

The success of swimming, cross country or soccer resulting in conference championships.  Nope 

Its good PR and an aggressive athletic department (by aggressive, I don't mean getting suspended from bball games for acting crazy in the stands).  If the men's basketball team can pair that up with the good work of the athletic department, watch out. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Vinny

You're exactly right about men's basketball being king. Has been, will always be the reason LeCrone and the member ADs show up to work every day.

My previous comment was more of a comparison of how ALL of Oakland's programs would fare in a larger conference as opposed to VU. I fear volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis (maybe soccers??) would be the only teams that could realistically compete in a step up, conference wise. As it currently stands, long stretches of mediocrity in programs outside of MBK seem to be acceptable at VU.

usc4valpo

89 - it is pathetic DePaul is not doing anything regarding the demise of this once proud program. In the last 70's and in the 80's, DePaul basketball was popular in Chicago, as was college basketball in general.

valpotx

Quote from: Vinny on April 17, 2016, 06:30:37 AM
You're exactly right about men's basketball being king. Has been, will always be the reason LeCrone and the member ADs show up to work every day.

My previous comment was more of a comparison of how ALL of Oakland's programs would fare in a larger conference as opposed to VU. I fear volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis (maybe soccers??) would be the only teams that could realistically compete in a step up, conference wise. As it currently stands, long stretches of mediocrity in programs outside of MBK seem to be acceptable at VU.

Baseball would do well in either the MVC or A-10, and has been a solid program for around 9-10 years now.  We routinely steal a win away from top 25 teams each year, and are always in the top 3 of our conference
"Don't mess with Texas"