• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Other Men's Basketball Office Changes

Started by FWalum, April 16, 2016, 09:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Was on the Men's Basketball Coaches website page to see if the new assistant coaches had been added, and was not surprised to see that Rodger Powell had been removed but also Will Phipps and most surprisingly of all, Sherry Williams appears to no longer be the Administrative Assistant.  Sherry was there for 20 years and I would have thought that her departure would have been note worthy. Did I miss something, was this a planned departure or did she follow Bryce to Nashville?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Her Facebook page says she now works at All States Machine Repair  Kouts, IN
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Ok, never mind, just surprised that we didn't see something about her departure.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

chef

Sherry left nearly a year ago, while Will Phipps left last summer.

VULB#62

From where I sit, I think we will be seeing lots of stuff that is new. We, as a fan base, have developed a very consistent comfort zone over 28 years with the way the Drews ran the MBB program. When Bryce took over, the Drew family personality continued, although the energy, IMO, kicked up a notch or so. Recruiting shifted more to the Chicago area, and we won more in the HL than before -- all good things.

With Matt, while there are certain similar characteristics (his faith for instance) there are also many differences (seems more transparent in his communications, definitely more outwardly emotional).  So we can expect a greater change in the overall product and style of the program. Change for change sake is not always a good thing, but in my gut, I view this change as coming at the right time, with the right guy, and for the right reasons. In this case the whole change thing energizes me as a fan. This will be an exciting off season and, for sure, come next November, it will be even more dynamic than we've seen in a long time.

agibson

Quote from: chef on April 16, 2016, 10:44:40 AM

I'd not noticed we were effectively down a coach. The director of basketball operations position was vacant? And no grad assistant, etc?

But, speaking of people who _haven't_ left Valpo. Homer Drew's still listed as Associate Director of Athletics.

It seems Scott has three kids of his own, so it's not like Homer's used to having _all_ the grandkids nearby...

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on April 16, 2016, 02:42:26 PM
Quote from: chef on April 16, 2016, 10:44:40 AM

I'd not noticed we were effectively down a coach. The director of basketball operations position was vacant? And no grad assistant, etc?

But, speaking of people who _haven't_ left Valpo. Homer Drew's still listed as Associate Director of Athletics.

It seems Scott has three kids of his own, so it's not like Homer's used to having _all_ the grandkids nearby...

Luke Simons (bald guy on the bench) was the director of basketball operations. Remember the story about him being the coach of one of the national teams of another country? Was it Mongolia?

chef

Luke Simons did a superb job. I believe the position is now open again as he will serve the same capacity at Vandy.

VULB#62

So Bryce took 2 of the staff with him?  And he left the 3 slot scholarship pool partially empty except for Micah?  Sorry, but this is sounding more and more like a "I'm outta here regardless of where I go" scenario. It might not have been overtly conscious, but it has played out that way. Glad to see Matt working his hinder off to offset the handicap.

valpopal

I don't buy the perspective that Bryce left Valpo high and dry. The two players signed thus far were recruited while Bryce was here. Bradford committed while Bryce was still head coach and Sorolla had his campus visit while Bryce was coaching. Bryce worked closely with Lottich and Gore so that they were prepared to take over. In fact, Lottich was the primary recruiter for Bradford, and apparently Sorolla is Gore's guy to guide. Moreover, both players are rated 3-stars by Rivals. Additionally, if Lottich's trip to Minnesota was to check out the player whose name I hear and he were given an offer, he would be a natural to wear a Crusaders uniform. The fourth opening seemingly could not be filled by Bryce because there is an outside possibility that Carter could return, but Lottich is lining up possibilities on Valpo's radar. On top of all this, the current roster is strong, especially if Peters returns and a healthy Smits is added. Such a roster likely would be favorites for another Horizon League championship. 

Just Sayin

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 16, 2016, 11:02:28 PM
So Bryce took 2 of the staff with him?  And he left the 3 slot scholarship pool partially empty except for Micah?  Sorry, but this is sounding more and more like a "I'm outta here regardless of where I go" scenario. It might not have been overtly conscious, but it has played out that way. Glad to see Matt working his hinder off to offset the handicap.

Ridiculous! Get over it and move on.

usc4valpo

Change is painful at first but in the long run it can be good. Lottich now has an opportunity to mold the basketball program to his vision of success.

Any departure will never be smooth. Bryce has a new job - what do you expect? If someone left for a new job, would they place a lot of energy to ensure sustainability in the previous job?

vufan75

Good analysis, Pal. I agree with your perspective. Hope Minny kid and trip to see works out. Sounds like good prospect! Any chance Hazen being recruited still?

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 17, 2016, 09:00:45 AM
Change is painful at first but in the long run it can be good. Lottich now has an opportunity to mold the basketball program to his vision of success.

Any departure will never be smooth. Bryce has a new job - what do you expect? If someone left for a new job, would they place a lot of energy to ensure sustainability in the previous job?

Uh yes, yes they would/should.  When you put in a two week notice, do you just coast until your last day?  No, if you are professional, you would document anything and everything you do, so that the person after you can pick-up where you left off.  Not necessarily relating this to Bryce, but rather responding generally to what I would hope from any of my employees..
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Every bit of success we have had for the past 5 years is thanks to Bryce - wins, conference and tournament championships, NCAA appearances, NIT championship game - everything. He put together the best staff in the HL. He out coached and out recruited the rest of the league. And let's not forget, the standing and national reputation of the program he inherited at the time he inherited it was nowhere close to where it is today.

And, what's he leaving behind?  A team loaded with talent, that will be the favorite to win the league next year assuming Alec returns, a highly talented assistant coach THAT HE BROUGHT HERE that has made the replacement process simple and seamless. And yet we have people bitching because he had the audacity to take the other highly talented asst. THAT HE BROUGHT HERE with him. And the final straw for some - he stole away some bald guy away that no one ever heard of or cared about until 2 days ago. You have got to be kidding.

Rightfully, what Bryce has done for Valparaiso University as player and coach and the great shape he left the program in calls for a standing ovation and a lifetime of gratitude. Instead, we have tepid little hand claps all the way to outright boos. I simply don't understand (and never will) the lack of respect and gratitude toward Bryce, as being demonstrated by certain people on this board.

VU2014

ValpoPal,

Thanks for sharing about the potential recruit from Minnesota Lottich was checking out. Could you share who the potential recruit is? Guard? Forward? Style of play? Comp to former Valpo players? Either way, thank you for sharing.

My only guess is its Steffon Mitchell, SF 6-8 225lbs. Shakopee High School. He's the 4th ranked prospect on max preps from Minnesota. He's unranked by the major 3 recruiting sites. Just a complete shot in the dark guess here. He's uncommitted but according to Verbal he's considering Wichita State, Utah State and Central Michigan. Sounds like he's pretty good recruit. He has a ton of offers. Other candidates Cody Peterick 6-5 SF? Jamil Jackson 6-6 SF 180lbs.? Tyler Johnson? Cameron Kirksey? Sacar Amin? Kyle Bauman? Ngor Barnaba? Ade Murkey?

valpo64

valpopal

VU2014: The name I heard came as second-hand information, and we don't even know if there will be an offer, so I won't identify him unless something more official is released; but I would describe him as a shooting guard/small forward, a natural fit in a Crusaders uniform I'd be happy to see at the ARC if an offer does come his way, and he is one of the players on your list.

VULB#62

We gotta get this thread back to the topic. We've veered over to the 2016 recruiting topic.

I've been taking big hits for suggesting, because Bryce was out there interviewing for the Georgia Tech job, being mentioned for the Pitt job, and obviously seeking and getting the Vandy job, that maybe he wasn't totally focused on his Valpo responsibilities to the very end of his days at Valpo. My point was not that he was undermining our program and leaving it in a "shambles," it was that maybe, perhaps not consciously, his focus was elsewhere.  That's OK. My point was that I am thrilled that Matt is taking up the slack immediately and I love the fact that we appear to be not losing a beat. So to be clear:  thanks, Bryce, for laying a sound foundation and leaving the cubboard pretty full  Thanks, Mark, for staying inside the family and hiring Matt. Thanks, Luke, for staying and giving our program a sense of long term continuity. And finally, thanks, Matt, for hustling your butt off in pulling together new staff and getting on the road immediately to solidify the recruiting picture. Now, can we all move on and look at other changes that are or will be happening as a result of the coaching change?

Like........... who will be the new DBBO?  Is there a new administrative assistant? Will Mark authorize a video coordinator position (like what Jake was doing at OSU)?

wh

Yes, Matt has hit the ground running. Hopefully, he can close the deal on another solid recruit. It looks like that will be it while we wait to see how the KC thing shakes out. As to crediting ml for hiring Matt, I'm thankful he simply went with Bryce's guy rather than try to conduct his own search.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2016, 09:29:21 PM
Yes, Matt has hit the ground running. Hopefully, he can close the deal on another solid recruit. It looks like that will be it while we wait to see how the KC thing shakes out. As to crediting ml for hiring Matt, I'm thankful he simply went with Bryce's guy rather than try to conduct his own search.

Was Matt Bryce's recommendation? 

wh

Well, it seems that we have 3 main possibilities:

1. ML consulted Bryce and he recommended Matt.
2. ML consulted Bryce. Bryce told ML he wouldn't recommend Matt. ML hired Matt anyway.
3. ML didn't consult Bryce.

Anything's possible, but I would the odds at about 100:1 in favor of #1.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on April 16, 2016, 02:42:26 PMBut, speaking of people who _haven't_ left Valpo. Homer Drew's still listed as Associate Director of Athletics.

Apparently Homer will move to Nashville later this year.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/17/bryce-drews-dad-had-vanderbilt-dream-boy/82881618/

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on April 17, 2016, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: agibson on April 16, 2016, 02:42:26 PMBut, speaking of people who _haven't_ left Valpo. Homer Drew's still listed as Associate Director of Athletics.

Apparently Homer will move to Nashville later this year.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/17/bryce-drews-dad-had-vanderbilt-dream-boy/82881618/

That would truly signal the end of the Drew era at Valpo. In a way, that's the way it should be. For Homer it means that he and Bryce remain closely bonded while at the same time he doesn't have to deal with any comparisons or asked by the local press or fans to second guess how the MBB program is going.  He's removing that "shadow of the legend" situation from the ongoing equation and letting Matt develop the program his own way -- although there will always be Homer Drew Court Court  ;). And if Matt would want to seek advice, Homer, and for that matter, Bryce, are only a cell phone call away.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Quote from: wh on April 17, 2016, 09:29:21 PM

Was Matt Bryce's recommendation?

Oh, OK. I read too much into Bryce's guy. He was Bryce's guy in that Bryce brought him on board as an assistant, not necessarily that he recommended Matt.