• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Kentucky game

Started by bsmith21, May 30, 2016, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsmith21

Valpo vs Kentucky game announced. They should be good but very beatable because they are young and we will get them early. Does anyone know anything about them other than that. Great chance for a good game and a lot of eyes on us.

valpotx

Revenge for the 2001-2002 team!
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Quote from: bsmith21 on May 30, 2016, 02:00:51 PM
Valpo vs Kentucky game announced. They should be good but very beatable because they are young and we will get them early. Does anyone know anything about them other than that. Great chance for a good game and a lot of eyes on us.
[/quote

Typical UK team. Five five star recruits all ranked in the top 25. The earlier we play them the better. UK model is to get the best talent for one year and try to get them to play like a team come tourney time. Coach is usually pretty successful in doing so but occasionally fails spectacularly. Hope next year is one of those years at least when we play them.

ValpoDad89

nkvu, totally spot on. While they will definitely beat us in the talent department, we will beat them on the experience end. Playing them early while Calipari works on the cohesiveness of his rotations will definitely help. The only defining difference is Ulis. He's glue and without Carter, it will hurt us not having someone that can play him on the ball and stop his creation or setting up others. Hopefully we design a gsme plan that focuses on stopping him.

nkvu

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 30, 2016, 10:37:11 PM
nkvu, totally spot on. While they will definitely beat us in the talent department, we will beat them on the experience end. Playing them early while Calipari works on the cohesiveness of his rotations will definitely help. The only defining difference is Ulis. He's glue and without Carter, it will hurt us not having someone that can play him on the ball and stop his creation or setting up others. Hopefully we design a gsme plan that focuses on stopping him.

I think Ulis declared for the draft.  Regardless, without Carter I think point guard is our biggest question for next year.  With Carter I think we have a shot at a good showing against UK.

VU2624

Ulis declared and is expected to be drafted in round 1.

ValpoDad89

My bad. Hard to keep up with all the Kentucky draftees. ;)

talksalot

Has anyone seen a date for this game yet?

ValpoDad89

I take it the game is at Kentucky???

VU2624

It's at Rupp. Don't think a date has been made public.

oklahomamick

Calipari wants the SEC tourney moved to the beginning of the season and the regular season champ to get the automatic bid.  Very interesting....http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15885267/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-suggests-moving-sec-tournament-november
CRUSADERS!!!

DMvalpo18

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 01, 2016, 07:19:51 PM
Calipari wants the SEC tourney moved to the beginning of the season and the regular season champ to get the automatic bid.  Very interesting....http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15885267/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-suggests-moving-sec-tournament-november

Well...His teams do peak at the end of the year. Weird idea. It certainly would have served Valpo this past year.

valpospartan

I'm not a Calipari fan, but I agree with him on this.  Most, if not all, conferences have instituted the League tournament for one reason, that being the all mighty dollar. Having the tourney early in the season would create interest at a time that is lacking much interest.  Although  doing so would mean that an underdog would no longer be able to sneak into the big Dance - which is also the good news. The season champion, from a one team league,  should be the representative to the NCAA's.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpospartan on June 01, 2016, 10:54:53 PM
I'm not a Calipari fan, but I agree with him on this.  Most, if not all, conferences have instituted the League tournament for one reason, that being the all mighty dollar. Having the tourney early in the season would create interest at a time that is lacking much interest.  Although  doing so would mean that an underdog would no longer be able to sneak into the big Dance - which is also the good news. The season champion, from a one team league,  should be the representative to the NCAA's.

I'll bet the Ivy League has used these very two elements of your post to reinforce their current position.  They know that an Ivy post-season tournament would be a money loser and they reward the regular season champ justifiably.  The Ivy champ usually gets a pretty good seed every year as a result cuz a league bottom feeder does suddenly get hot for a game or two and winds up dragging the league down to a 16 seed.  Come on now, does the HL (do the HL teams as well) really make any money from Motor City Madness? 

vusupporter

The Ivy League is going to a 4-team postseason tournament starting next year.

VULB#62

Argh! Really?  Well, at least it eliminates the bottom feeders and starts right at the semi finals.  Win 2 and you're in.  I suppose it's a good compromise approach that kinda preserves/rewards the regular season champ without destroying the league seed like what happen to the HL at Detroit.

historyman

Quote from: bsmith21 on May 30, 2016, 02:00:51 PM

I think that everyone looks at Kentucky and says they will be easier to beat early in the season. At the same time Valpo will also not be playing as well early in the season. New coach, losing Skara, adding in a few new players, etc. It may not be to the extent that Kentucky will improve during the season but Valpo will have to be at the top of it's game extremely early in the season to pull off this upset.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

ARCInsider

Has there been any mention of the date of this game?

historyman

Quote from: ARCInsider on June 09, 2016, 09:04:03 PM
Has there been any mention of the date of this game?

In case you didn't see it mentioned in another thread the date is 12/7/16.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann