• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Looking ahead to next November

Started by talksalot, March 09, 2014, 09:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: atkins on March 22, 2014, 05:08:29 PM
I don't think we have anyone close to second-team at this point.  Alec didn't show the consistency that would make him a second-team selection.  However, he'll be on one of those teams as a junior and senior because he got the sophomore slump out of the way his freshman year. 

I also believe that we need an athletic Big (at least a PF) to do anything outside of the Horizon.  I've watched a ton of NCAA tournament games so far, and we'd be blown out by most of those teams -- Too much strength and agility in the paint.  We'd be stuck shooting (and missing) 3's.  Another guy like Jubril would be fine, but our guards would be helpless against many of these teams.
you may be watching a lot of games but perhaps you missed Carter's game against Columbia.  The kids took a few games to get used to college basketball and adjust to our guys.  He will be one of the top guards in the conference next year.

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 22, 2014, 12:56:10 PM
Sykes POY
Howard
Felder
Forbes
Lewis

Grady
Tiby
Fouse
Petros
Lee

Don't see Peters in the top 10 pre-season, or even that close - McWhorter, Hain, maybe others will also be ahead of him. It's not an insult - Bryce's system doesn't really build stars, Rowdy notwithstanding.

Don't forget Green Bay - everyone of consequence back except Brown. I'd guess an order something like this: Green Bay, CSU, Valpo, Detroit, Milwaukee, YSU, Oakland, WSU, UIC.

You mean the Green Bay team we took apart without Brown?  Sure, they will be good but I would think CSU would be the favorite and Milwaukee, with three of their top 6 guys back will be respected as well.  I would expect Vashil to an all defensive team selection and Peters second team as could Carter.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

vu72 is right about Carter.  I had posted long ago that he would be the best player on the team.  I am not sure he's second-team yet, but he's definitely our best.  I saw Carter play several times before he came to VU, and he was smooth as silk.  I'm glad to see that he's finally shining again. 

classof2014

I think Peters will be a first teamer next season. Take out his freshman slump he had in January and he was one of the top scorers on the team and in the league. He had 30 points twice and 29 once.

Take out the 8 from January and he averaged 14 points a game. Next season I would imagine those numbers will go up as well with his rebounding numbers. To think Alec isn't at least going to be a second teamer next season would be ridiculous. If he averages 16-18 points a game and 6-8 boards he's probably gonna be on the first team.

Pathfinder

Peters could be a first teamer at the end of the year but he won't be at the beginning of the year. Of course, it's the end of the year that matters.

a3uge

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 23, 2014, 10:58:05 AM
Peters could be a first teamer at the end of the year but he won't be at the beginning of the year. Of course, it's the end of the year that matters.

Yeah, giving out player of the year awards before the season even starts is pretty stupid.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2014, 11:52:55 AMYeah, giving out player of the year awards before the season even starts is pretty stupid.

HL POY 2011*

*preseason
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2014, 12:13:32 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2014, 11:52:55 AMYeah, giving out player of the year awards before the season even starts is pretty stupid.

HL POY 2011*

*preseason

Look at that evil kid. Probably just stole a candy bar from the gas station...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2014, 11:52:55 AM

Yeah, giving out player of the year awards before the season even starts is pretty stupid.

Really?  Probably two-thirds of the posts on a fan board are speculative (scores, predictions, recruiting opinions etc.).  Or, I suppose, we could all stop posting, concerning basketball, until next season begins.   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2014, 12:37:36 PM

Really?  Probably two-thirds of the posts on a fan board are speculative (scores, predictions, recruiting opinions etc.).  Or, I suppose, we could all stop posting, concerning basketball, until next season begins.   :crazy:

There's a difference between a message board predicting who's going to be player of the year at the end of the year and the Horizon League sanctioning an official preseason first/second team/player of the year/newcomer list/best bench celebrator.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 23, 2014, 10:58:05 AMPeters could be a first teamer at the end of the year but he won't be at the beginning of the year. Of course, it's the end of the year that matters.
Couldn't agree more. The conferences are just indulging the fans need for something to argue about during the pre-season. It doesn't mean one iota similar to my bracket predictions!!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2014, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2014, 12:42:29 PMbest bench celebrator
PRESENTING ANDREW DAKICH EVERYBODY'S ALL-AMERICAN Andrew Dakich 2013 14 Highlights
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/03/dakich_michigan_ncaa_tournamen.html

Then it snowballed. Dakich, the son of Dan Dakich -- a former college coach and current ESPN analyst -- turned himself into a swaggering, sashaying sideline show.

In case you missed the fact that he was the son of a region guy.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

An Andrean grad, of course (father not son).

Father has become legendary Twitter troll besides.

humbleopinion

Quote from: historyman on March 23, 2014, 03:55:46 PM
Quote from: Pathfinder on March 23, 2014, 10:58:05 AMPeters could be a first teamer at the end of the year but he won't be at the beginning of the year. Of course, it's the end of the year that matters.
Couldn't agree more. The conferences are just indulging the fans need for something to argue about during the pre-season. It doesn't mean one iota similar to my bracket predictions!!

So giving out the awards before the season gets fans talking and arguing about the selections?  The league shouldn't do something that draws attention to the players and the teams?
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

I dunno.  I kind of think we'd find something to argue about anyway.

I think the real value of preseason picks is to go back and ridicule the people who thought dumb things.

Heck, we've been doing that to ourselves the last week or so :)

Kyle321n

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 25, 2014, 09:50:50 AM

Wait...  I never said that! And how did you find my Halloween pictures?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

ARCInsider

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 25, 2014, 06:03:52 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 23, 2014, 03:55:46 PM
So giving out the awards before the season gets fans talking and arguing about the selections?  The league shouldn't do something that draws attention to the players and the teams?
Never said they shouldn't have the pre-season awards just that it shouldn't be taken very seriously. Take it for what it's worth. Nothing except time killing for the HL fans.

valpopal

It doesn't mean anything at this point except as a source of discussion, but Mid-Major Madness posts a very early look at next season. Valpo gets little respect as it will be in a "rebuilding" year and is predicted to finish sixth with no all-conference players.

I can't blame them for their lack of confidence in the Crusaders at this point, especially with Nickerson and Chadwick as big question marks and the open spots on the roster yet unfilled. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryce find a player or two to add that will fill in the gaps. In addition, I expect to see big advances in the play of our freshmen, as well as Carter and Fernandez by the time fall arrives.

Here is the article:http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/4/17/5624972/ncaa-college-basketball-2014-2015-early-predictions-horizon-league

valpotx

I love how he talks about GB getting a taste of life without Brown...but how did they do during those 2 games??  :lol:

I see a third place finish for us, behind CSU and Milwaukee.  Jordan Aaron will be gone, so they will be more efficient ;D

"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on April 17, 2014, 03:15:07 PM
I love how he talks about GB getting a taste of life without Brown...but how did they do during those 2 games??  :lol:

I see a third place finish for us, behind CSU and Milwaukee.  Jordan Aaron will be gone, so they will be more efficient ;D

Bold prediction: Milwaukee will miss the tourney.

a3uge

So a Milwaukee team that finished 5th last year is going to finish 4th now that they have a postseason ban... uh...

And Detroit 3rd? Really? I know 2-7 are virtually tossups, but 3rd?

But I'm not sure how plugged into the Horizon League this guy is when his Valpo analysis is:

QuoteTeam ends up younger still after this season, with Lavonte Dority and Bobby Capobianco gone. Could surprise, but this looks like a rebuilding year.

Really? Isn't every team younger after each season? I mean, unless you're Kentucky you're going to have a few seniors on the team... Going into last year we lost every starter. How could we be even younger than that? We're returning 4/5 of the top minutes, and returning 4/5 starters. Dority is gone, but Capobianco could only check in when Vashil/Moussa inevitably got into foul trouble. I'd be shocked if they actually regressed from last year, so painting them below Detroit, Milwaukee, and Oakland is a bit of a head scratcher.

I see something like this:

CSU
UWGB
Valpo
Oakland
WSU
Detroit
YSU
UWM
UIC

But I wouldn't label Valpo as in a 'rebuilding year' when the conference appears so weak, and I certainly wouldn't label Milwaukee as a 'potential spoiler' when they're NOT EVEN ELIGIBLE TO SPOIL!