• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Tonagel national championship game

Started by VU75, March 18, 2014, 06:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU75

Just noticed that Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan team is playing for the NAIA D2 championship on ESPN3

valpotx

I bet that a school at a higher level takes a chance on him after this season
"Don't mess with Texas"

setshot

Tonagel for Drew. Nothing could be sweeter than to be in Carolina. TG. Other than '98,post season play under the Drew's is one and done (except Wash.) Time for a change. :twocents:

valpopal

In case you missed it: Congrats to Greg Tonagel on being named NAIA Coach of the Year and leading his Indiana Wesleyan team to the NAIA Division II national title!

valpotx

Awesome job by Greg!  Very smart guy based on a few classes I had with him, and if he wants to, I am sure that someone at an NCAA scholarship program will want to interview him (D-2 or low major D-1). 
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Gosh, I hope it's available for Replay on WatchESPN.  I'd watch it if it is.

crusadermoe

Awesome.   It doesn't take a genius to see him as a future VU coach f Bryce leaves his 10-year contract early. 

Then again,...he might find a route that leap frogs Valpo into a strong D-1 HC spot by then.   More power to him!   

The biggest shot "almost heard" in VU history was his last second bounce off the rim from 3 vs. Notre Dame in the United Center.   Was that 2003?   later?

valpotx

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2014, 06:53:10 PM
Awesome.   It doesn't take a genius to see him as a future VU coach f Bryce leaves his 10-year contract early. 

Then again,...he might find a route that leap frogs Valpo into a strong D-1 HC spot by then.   More power to him!   

The biggest shot "almost heard" in VU history was his last second bounce off the rim from 3 vs. Notre Dame in the United Center.   Was that 2003?   later?

It would have been 2002-2003, his 5th year.  It was awesome watching him come out of coaching retirement in 2003-2004 as well.  Even though he wasn't a scorer, he was patient with the ball, and didn't turn it over.  I love basketball players like that!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Congrats to Greg. He was one of the smartest ballplayers we have had. He would have been in a lot of top 10s if he hadn't had the injuries. Ran an offense to perfection from Day 1.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

historyman

I truly hope Greg ends up coaching at Valpo some day. He would be a great fit. Congrats to him for winning an NAIA national championship.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

This is him with J.J.  I like the black jersey.
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on March 20, 2014, 02:09:22 AMIt would have been 2002-2003, his 5th year.  It was awesome watching him come out of coaching retirement in 2003-2004 as well.  Even though he wasn't a scorer, he was patient with the ball, and didn't turn it over.

I still remember his 3s at Kemper Arena to spark a comeback from a 17-pt. deficit against UMKC in 2004 Mid-Con tourney.

valpopal

Indiana guard Jonny Marlin has announced he will transfer to Coach Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan. Good get, Greg!

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2014, 06:13:08 PM
Indiana guard Jonny Marlin has announced he will transfer to Coach Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan. Good get, Greg!
Jonny Marlin has transferred after every season. Started out as a freshman starting point for IPFW, transferred to IU, sat out a season per transfer rules, play very sparingly this year and is now going to IWU.  Kind of a Richie Edwards in reverse.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

milanmiracle

Quote from: FWalum on March 31, 2014, 07:36:52 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2014, 06:13:08 PM
Jonny Marlin has transferred after every season. Started out as a freshman starting point for IPFW, transferred to IU, sat out a season per transfer rules, play very sparingly this year and is now going to IWU.  Kind of a Richie Edwards in reverse.

That does sound like a step back, but it's good for Greg IMO. He gets a legit D1 player for an NAIA DII school. I think that's a significant addition on that level.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

well, he did last year too with the kid from Creighton...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 07, 2014, 07:02:10 PMwell, he did last year too with the kid from Creighton...
The kid last year was RJ Mahurin from Rockville who started at Indiana State. His brother, Lane Mahurin,  was already playing at IWU. So this is a little different because Marlin doesn't have a brother at Indiana Wesleyan. I think Marlin saw how well it worked for Mahurin and wanted to play for a winner and was sold by Greg on the atmosphere at IWU. He must have also liked that he could play immediately instead of sitting out a year which he did when transferring from IPFW to IU.

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/article/3736.php
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

right, good call.  i knew it was an MVC school.

...at that time of course.

that's why they call you the history man.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: historyman on April 07, 2014, 09:43:53 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 07, 2014, 07:02:10 PMwell, he did last year too with the kid from Creighton...
The kid last year was RJ Mahurin from Rockville who started at Indiana State. His brother, Lane Mahurin,  was already playing at IWU. So this is a little different because Marlin doesn't have a brother at Indiana Wesleyan. I think Marlin saw how well it worked for Mahurin and wanted to play for a winner and was sold by Greg on the atmosphere at IWU. He must have also liked that he could play immediately instead of sitting out a year which he did when transferring from IPFW to IU.

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/article/3736.php

Taking it one step further, RJ Mahurin was a BIG factor in the National Title game. It could be argued that he should have been the MVP of the game, and in fact he was passed over for the award because the announcers thought a 4 year player should win it vs. a transfer. Both players were absolutely deserving, so there was no wrong answer but it's worth noting that the 1 year transfer helped get them a title.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

FWalum

Marlin played a significant role in the IPFW victory over VU in December of 2011.  He hit a couple of big 3's and had 7 assists.  I don't think that Marlin enjoyed the team atmosphere here at IPFW and I certainly know that he had issues when St Louis redshirt sophomore transfer Justin Jordan was able to play in late December. The two started splitting time despite the fact the Jordan didn't really fit the point role nearly as well as Marlin.

Saw this video on the IWU site and found it very interesting. Faith and Basketball with Cody Zeller and Jonny Marlin
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

milanmiracle

Quote from: FWalum on April 08, 2014, 09:10:36 AM
Marlin played a significant role in the IPFW victory over VU in December of 2011.  He hit a couple of big 3's and had 7 assists.  I don't think that Marlin enjoyed the team atmosphere here at IPFW and I certainly know that he had issues when St Louis redshirt sophomore transfer Justin Jordan was able to play in late December. The two started splitting time despite the fact the Jordan didn't really fit the point role nearly as well as Marlin.

Saw this video on the IWU site and found it very interesting. Faith and Basketball with Cody Zeller and Jonny Marlin

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but thanks for sharing!